Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

VAR, Timekeeping, Refs

If VAR can tell if a players toenail is off side, the accuracy is that good. So, why can't it see when freekicks and throw ins are being taken nowhere near where the freekick was given / or the ball went out?

Why can't it see the 'playacting' like when the Sheffield keeper makes a save then rolls on the floor holding his head when there has been no contact make? A yellow card if ever there was one.

So, not having been picked up by this new wonder system, why wasn't the ref bold enough to make the decision? It seems that you can't use your brain as a Ref 'the powers that be' seem to have the whip hand. Next step on will be having a robot in the middle with all be decisions being made from afar.

In the second half there were two major VAR interventions - the red card being overturned and the 'goal' disallowed. Six substitutions, and a further yellow card. When you tack the time taken that was lost for all of the things and add it to the rampant time wasting over throw ins, goal kicks and free kicks, it should add up to nearly double the six minutes we played extra in the second half.

I would also like to know why not one ref has used the pitch side monitor to review play them selves. I would want to make the decision myself and not have someone miles away making me look totally incompetent. 

• Like 1

Had enough of var now. Too many flaws and killing the atmosphere. Quite right about added on time, all fans are getting short changed on playing time. Pitch side monitor for ref would be an obvious improvement but it's sucking the life outa the game. 

I’m seriously disillusioned with football. 

All the playacting, the cheating and poor decisions have always frustrated me but now, with the use of technology, those in charge are making a day out at the footie a  confusing, doubly frustrating and simply angry experience.

Im not talking about just Norwich either, decisions in numerous games baffle me and are taking the simple joy out of the game. 

Too many subjective decisions that a referee makes a subjective decision about are then being reviewed by someone else a long way away to make a different subjective decision and overrule the man in the middle of the action.

Only clear and obvious errors would be overturned we were told. B*******

The powers that be couldn’t care less about those that pay to actually go to games. We’re left wondering what’s going on with no replays and no explanation while we watch the referee stand in the middle of the pitch with his finger to his ear, the announcer often announcing a decision pending as the result is given on the pitch.

VAR has got worse as the season has gone on as they try to rectify early problems, which has simply lead to inconsistency and more confusion on rules of both VAR and of football itself!

Scrap it and give the game back to the fans. Home and away supporters were united at numerous times throughout the game

’its not football anymore’

’f*** VAR’

Edited by Fiery Zac
  • Like 3

Play by the whistle not linos flag. I think VAR was scratching for reasons why Sheff Utd's 3rd should not stand. It took a long while!!

Now Wenger has been appointed as FIFAs head of global development, with responsibility for the technical aspects, including VAR, I wonder if we will even see changes such as introduction of the pitch side monitor, this season? It wouldn’t surprise me considering his previous views on the standard of refereeing in the Premier.

The powers that be couldn’t care less about those that pay to actually go to games.

They haven't since the TV money was greater than any income through the turnsttile.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Bit ironic Wenger being put in charge of var bearing in mind he never saw anything 

Hahaahah. 😁

VAR is a tragic, awful indictment on the worst in football..

When all 28k fans are singing "it's not football anymore" then you'd think the FA would have to take note. But they wont, because it's only ruining it for the proper fans watching football in the terraces. And we've established many years ago they couldnt care less about us.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Hahaahah. 😁

VAR is a tragic, awful indictment on the worst in football..

When all 28k fans are singing "it's not football anymore" then you'd think the FA would have to take note. But they wont, because it's only ruining it for the proper fans watching football in the terraces. And we've established many years ago they couldnt care less about us.

Maybe the FA would take notice if we (football fans) impacted the main driver of football, I.e. television revenue. We need to come to a mutually agreed really offensive chant that can’t be ignored by the TV coverage! Any suggestions?

“Stick VAR up your ****!
F*** off!”?

17 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Maybe the FA would take notice if we (football fans) impacted the main driver of football, I.e. television revenue. We need to come to a mutually agreed really offensive chant that can’t be ignored by the TV coverage! Any suggestions?

“Stick VAR up your ****!
F*** off!”?

Now I know the filter will automatically remove the C word, but let's use the genius of south park to it's best effect (let replace the U with an O:

🎶

VARs a cont..

VARs a cont..

VAR VAR VARs a cont...

..inuous let down 🎶

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

“Stick VAR up your ****!
F*** off!”?

We need a national platform like Twitter to get all EPL fans to let our feelings known. Can someone get it mobilised?

• Like 1

VAR in its current form is a bloody disaster. I do think that on balance more decisions have been made correctly since its implementation, but at far too high a cost to the watchability and credibility of the matchday experience.

A prolonged post-match pub discussion on VAR today came up with two interesting solutions:

1) The referee himself is the only person who can overturn an on-field decision, by viewing it on the monitor;

2) As the monitor never gets used, we replace it with a monitor lizard, who relays the decision to the viewing public by revealing the decision on his tongue.

Edited by Feedthewolf
  • Haha 1

We're being shafted by VAR every week now.

I could just about stomach it if the person who made the original decision i.e the Ref was the one viewing the replay on the touchline screen.

....but as it is , this all being conducted out of sight by faceless people 100 odd miles away lends it self open for corruption....and some of what we're seeing can't convince me otherwise.

Referees, and in particular their assistants, are becoming irrelevant - for the 3rd goal that was disallowed, the Lino flagged, the ref blew, we stopped and their player put it in the net.

I’d have been fuming if it had been given. Players have no idea whether to stop if they see a flag go up or if they hear a whistle. The old ‘play to the whistle’ isn’t relevant any more!

But then, why am I surprised when Simon Hooper was the ref...

Just in relation to the Henderson head holding thing - yeah fair you buy whatever time you can but the ref realised he was having him on yet when he walked over to him they both just had a smile and a giggle about it? If I'm a ref and a player is trying to con me and then is that blatant about it I'm booking him all day long.

But Simon Hooper is fcking useless and the last thing a ref like him needs, as it transpires, is being undermined even more than he usually is thanks to VAR.

• Like 1

On 08/12/2019 at 21:52, Feedthewolf said:

VAR in its current form is a bloody disaster. I do think that on balance more decisions have been made correctly since its implementation, but at far too high a cost to the watchability and credibility of the matchday experience.

A prolonged post-match pub discussion on VAR today came up with two interesting solutions:

1) The referee himself is the only person who can overturn an on-field decision, by viewing it on the monitor;

2) As the monitor never gets used, we replace it with a monitor lizard, who relays the decision to the viewing public by revealing the decision on his tongue.

You called........................................................

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Its funny how technology was brought in to make the game better and apart from goal line checking, it has proved to be nothing more than an object of ridicule, particularly from supporters.

I would wager 80% of incidents would only have been spotted by the TV pundits in super slow motion and people at the ground wouldn't have known any difference.

The defenders of VAR, people like Dermot Gallagher, keep spouting "definition, criteria, objective, subjective". Football isn't that at all. It is passion, emotion, humour.

• Like 1

I'd happily go back to the odd mistake due to human error than this convoluted killjoy system we have at the moment. Forget the guy in the VAR centre, just have one ref, one pitch side monitor that he can and must use if in doubt, and max two appeals by each team, appeal upheld, still got two, appeal denied ,only one left. Plus only team capt to approach ref, this carp at the moment with players surrounding the ref asking him to get VAR  on the case, when they are already reviewing it is childish and timewasting.There has to be a better way than what currently have.

• Like 1

Anyone watching ManC v Zagreb?

Zagreb player blatantly uses the elbow on Rodri. VAR and not even a free kick or card. Straight red all day.

Its a joke.

They don't dare send anyone off at that ground and Zagreb are fired up since ManC equalised.

Don't like to say "I  told you so" ..... but I told you so.

When I said that it would be a farce, I got shouted down. When I pointed out that it would be used to the benefit of the Big Clubs, I was dismissed. 

Interesting that 3 months later some are coming around to my opinion.....

• Like 1

What's disappointing me is how refs are being undermined.  Yes, they can't see everything, so giving them a bit of help on a dodgy offside or a handball that is on their blindside is fine, but only after the passage of play has finished.  Its getting to the point where any contentious decision is being reviewed rather than accepting that the referee is in charge of the game and his decision should stand.  As I said earlier in the thread, he blew for the offside 3rd goal when he saw the linesman's flag go up, so we stopped and the ball ended up in the net.  It's really confusing for the players - if they see a flag go up, their natural reaction is to stop.  For the red card, he gave what he saw (wrongly, I admit), so should he have just blown for the free kick then made the TV shape with his hands before producing a card?  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Anyone watching ManC v Zagreb?

Zagreb player blatantly uses the elbow on Rodri. VAR and not even a free kick or card. Straight red all day.

Its a joke.

They don't dare send anyone off at that ground and Zagreb are fired up since ManC equalised.

I didn't watch the match but I've seen the elbow in question and you have to really, really question not only the point of VAR, but the obvious bias from officials within the game. You could only not deem it a blatant intentional elbow if you were either corrupt, or extremely bias.