Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

Things to be cheerful about

OK, this season is as miserable as they come, and it shows no sign of improving any time soon... but there is plenty to be cheerful about the state of our club, so lets just stop the whinging for a bit. It's tedious.

1) WE ARE AHEAD OF SCHEDULE. Nobody expected us to win the league last season. It wasn't in our plans, but we had a magical season where everything came together and we ran the table. We can look forward to another solid season in the Champs next year where we'll be competing at the top end. We're ahead of the curve for our own plans and that can only be a good thing.

2) We are in a brilliant position financially. Sure, we'll lose a few in the summer for big money, but all our contracts are extended for max value and Webber is no mug, we won't be selling on the cheap. Mark that in contrast to last time we went down where nobody even wanted our players for cheap, let alone big money. Parachute payments, and a few huge transfer fees could set us up really well to bounce straight back up and stay up. I know there are no guarantees but we'll be in really good shape for another exciting season.

3) We're not breaking any records. We already have equalled the lowest ever Prem points total so barring shipping 10 in a game, we look fairly safe from having an albatross like that round our necks.

4) The training ground upgrades have made us a really attractive proposition to new signings (albeit we still have the geographical issues that are part and parcel of Norfolk life).

5) We had last season. I don't give a toss about going down - the Prem is boring and outside the top 6 the very best anyone can achieve is to participate. Sooner the big boys **** off to a European super league, the better, but until then, the Prem is a dead rubber every year. Last season was the best year of my life supporting City, nobody can take it away, and I'll happily trade this season of misery for last season's unbelievable one. Far rather have that than two average seasons in the Champs.

6) Presuming the inbreds don't **** it up massively, we get to beat them twice more next season.

7) Next season will be better than this one.

Edited by kick it off
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Why is it wrong to want to compete in the PL? We only hate it because we never compete in it. It’s like work, if you’re the smartest person in the room you’re not in the right place, you won’t challenge yourself or grow. Likewise we’ll never take the club to the next level being constantly promoted and then relegated. Establishing ourselves as a Premier League club SHOULD be what we’re aiming for, same as Burnley, Bournemouth etc. But we seem happy to squander every opportunity that we have to do so, playing it safe each time and ending up back where we started.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Why is it wrong to want to compete in the PL? We only hate it because we never compete in it. It’s like work, if you’re the smartest person in the room you’re not in the right place, you won’t challenge yourself or grow. Likewise we’ll never take the club to the next level being constantly promoted and then relegated. Establishing ourselves as a Premier League club SHOULD be what we’re aiming for, same as Burnley, Bournemouth etc. But we seem happy to squander every opportunity that we have to do so, playing it safe each time and ending up back where we started.

I hate it because it's entirely boring and predictable. There's no excitement in it, barring the odd shock result. We know we'll never win it. I agree establishing ourselves is the ultimate aim but I don't see how we do that without crippling the club financially unless we have a few years of this constant banking the money and rebuilding... If we can defeat the odds and stay up then maybe you start to look at a rebuild ready to establish ourselves, but without the money from some billionaire we can't afford to do that year 1 anytime we go up.... Portsmouth established themselves by spunking all their Prem money and look how that ended up.

Edited by kick it off
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Take a look at HOW Burnley established themselves as a Premier League team!!!!!!!!

They got promoted to the Premier League under an excellent manager - they immediately got relegated from the Premier League under that manager - they stuck with that excellent manager and got promoted straight back up to the Premier League. 

During that period they were constantly trying to build up their club and they never made rash financial decisions. When they got promoted for the second time they were in a position to spend the extra Premier League income on their team and they did this very wisely and established themselves as a Premier League team. 

Sounds like a good model to follow eh? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to the posters here who have made some encouraging posts. Like KIO I wouldn't trade anything for last season either. It was magical in many ways. 

Maybe we are going down but you just have to hope we invest in two or three excellent signings. That will make up for losing some of our youngsters if it comes to that. I'm assuming we have been looking.

Fully comfortable now. That afternoon in May 2005 when all we had to do was draw at Fulham .... 6-0 - well we’ll be down before the last game of the season. 

Time now to sell Emi, Todd, Max, Onel and Kenny in the January window. 

Harvard Business School thinking - Asset Rich, Cash Poor 

Next season already beckons .... at least I can watch 💚💛️ at Reading, Millwall, QPR, Brentwood and Hopefully Southampton 

😀

26 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Take a look at HOW Burnley established themselves as a Premier League team!!!!!!!!

They got promoted to the Premier League under an excellent manager - they immediately got relegated from the Premier League under that manager - they stuck with that excellent manager and got promoted straight back up to the Premier League. 

During that period they were constantly trying to build up their club and they never made rash financial decisions. When they got promoted for the second time they were in a position to spend the extra Premier League income on their team and they did this very wisely and established themselves as a Premier League team. 

I struggle to understand why you even need to post this, but you are absolutely and utterly correct in what you say. People seem to exist in such a short-term bubble (see all those who will vote Tory to “get Brexit done” despite the fact that trade negotiations will only start we’ve left and will go on for many, many years). If we go down and come up again - and I fully acknowledge it’s not a given, but: we will be much stronger financially and will be able to make the investments that the short-termers were asking for this season.

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Foxy2600 said:

Next season already beckons .... at least I can watch 💚💛️ at Reading, Millwall, QPR, Brentwood and Hopefully Southampton 

😀

Brentwood?

I hope NCFC don't drop that far!

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

We didn't play it safe last time. We spunked an £8.5 million transfer fee plus wages of about £30,000 a week for three and a half seasons on Steven Naismith up the wall - and we all know how that turned out. Have you actually ever listened to a word that Stuart Webber has said? 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

The proof of the pudding will be next season of we go down- you'd expect us to probably sell at least a couple of players for big sums so combined with the money we should be able to flex our financial muscles a bit. If we go down, sell and get told we don't have the money to spend much then I imagine fans will be rightly furious.

40 minutes ago, kick it off said:

1) .....We can look forward to another solid season in the Champs next year where we'll be competing at the top end.

I remember a certain team thinking the same thing in the 90's. Even printed t-shirts making a joke about it. Didn't end well.

OTBC

15 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

I remember a certain team thinking the same thing in the 90's. Even printed t-shirts making a joke about it. Didn't end well.

OTBC

There are no guarantees of course, but realistically you get two good goes at it with the parachute money. West Brom are a good case in point. Came down two seasons ago - lost in the playoffs last season, but looking very well set for promotion back to the Premier League at the moment. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, adam72 said:

For me signing Neal Maupay. 6 goals but his workrate is unbelievable. Only just turned 23.

12th in the table and looking very comfortable dare i say ?

Bottom two places done and dusted now after today. Just that final place up for grabs.

This makes me really  cheerful.  

Really pleased for you Adam

• Like 1

Free female sanitary wear which has been the highlight of the season so far

also the return of scampi to the Gunn club today 

42EE97D1-7692-4021-850F-BE6B02284833.jpeg

That looks as depressing as the 2nd half!

1 hour ago, kick it off said:

OK, this season is as miserable as they come, and it shows no sign of improving any time soon... but there is plenty to be cheerful about the state of our club, so lets just stop the whinging for a bit. It's tedious.

1) WE ARE AHEAD OF SCHEDULE. Nobody expected us to win the league last season. It wasn't in our plans, but we had a magical season where everything came together and we ran the table. We can look forward to another solid season in the Champs next year where we'll be competing at the top end. We're ahead of the curve for our own plans and that can only be a good thing.

2) We are in a brilliant position financially. Sure, we'll lose a few in the summer for big money, but all our contracts are extended for max value and Webber is no mug, we won't be selling on the cheap. Mark that in contrast to last time we went down where nobody even wanted our players for cheap, let alone big money. Parachute payments, and a few huge transfer fees could set us up really well to bounce straight back up and stay up. I know there are no guarantees but we'll be in really good shape for another exciting season.

3) We're not breaking any records. We already have equalled the lowest ever Prem points total so barring shipping 10 in a game, we look fairly safe from having an albatross like that round our necks.

4) The training ground upgrades have made us a really attractive proposition to new signings (albeit we still have the geographical issues that are part and parcel of Norfolk life).

5) We had last season. I don't give a toss about going down - the Prem is boring and outside the top 6 the very best anyone can achieve is to participate. Sooner the big boys **** off to a European super league, the better, but until then, the Prem is a dead rubber every year. Last season was the best year of my life supporting City, nobody can take it away, and I'll happily trade this season of misery for last season's unbelievable one. Far rather have that than two average seasons in the Champs.

6) Presuming the inbreds don't **** it up massively, we get to beat them twice more next season.

7) Next season will be better than this one.

1) what is this ‘schedule’? How the hell can you schedule anything in football? It’s ridiculous, and used for what? Anybody who states that club A,b,c are ahead of schedule are deluded. Football is never a constant which can be scheduled!

2) How are we in a brilliant position financially? Yes going into next season the club are supposedly going to be in the black? So two years on when Webber leaves, what then? 

4) ridiculous. How has the training facility made city an attractive club to sign for?

6/7) Really. You think football is that predictable!?

i suggest you actually read once again what you posted! 

Great post KIO, Thirsty and Nuff Said.

Reassuring to see amongst some of the stupidity on here that sanity does exist, as well as realism and thinking a little further ahead than the next game or two.

17 minutes ago, Herman said:

8. The block button is coming up trumps.

There’s a block button?

6 minutes ago, adam72 said:

Some welcomed my opinion while many simply buried their heads and gave me unnecessary abuse while being told i'm being  blocked ( like the fanny above)

Herman didn't state who was being blocked 

What made you think it was you? 

24 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

1) what is this ‘schedule’? How the hell can you schedule anything in football? It’s ridiculous, and used for what? Anybody who states that club A,b,c are ahead of schedule are deluded. Football is never a constant which can be scheduled!

2) How are we in a brilliant position financially? Yes going into next season the club are supposedly going to be in the black? So two years on when Webber leaves, what then? 

4) ridiculous. How has the training facility made city an attractive club to sign for?

6/7) Really. You think football is that predictable!?

i suggest you actually read once again what you posted! 

1) Businesses have plans. That's kind of how it works. We made a 5 year plan and achieved it in 2 years. Now we go down in a far better situation than we were in when we started, and can look to continue the plan in a far healthier financial situation.

2) What's Webber leaving got to do with banking 100million plus whatever big fees we make in the summer? Don't you think that's quite a healthy financial situation? We're also not sucking the teat of some billionaire who will get bored sooner or later and drop us in it.

4) Do you think the club's previous training facility was an attractive proposition to new signings? Do you feel having a state of the art facility is not an attractive asset in selling the club to prospective signings? Sebastien Haller and Toby Alderwiereld were allegedly close to signing for us but decided against it - do you think that might have had something to do with having **** facilities compared to other clubs? Amadou also mentioned it when he was talking about rejecting interest from elsewhere... https://readnorwich.com/2019/08/08/amadou-rejected-interest-to-sign-for-norwich-new-training-ground-paying-off/

6/7) Yes. It absolutely is. In the last 25 years, the Prem has been won by Man Utd 9 times, Arsenal 3 times, Chelsea 5 times, Man City 4 times, Leicester once.....So please feel free to explain what is surprising or unpredictable? The big 6 plus Leicester (once) are the only teams to finish in the top 3 since 2004. In what way is that not boring or predictable?

25 minutes ago, adam72 said:

Amazing isn't it ?

I came on here a couple of months ago and made a very accurate assessment of your teams chance of staying up. I was fair but hard hitting. Being a neutral without wearing yellow and green glasses i could highlight your flaws and where you went wrong. It ruffled a few feathers but the truth had to be told.

Some welcomed my opinion while many simply buried their heads and gave me unnecessary abuse while being told i'm being  blocked ( like the fanny above)

No, you came on here to gloat with a load of twatty, immature digs. Nobody welcomes you or your opinion. Do one. 

Edited by kick it off
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, adam72 said:

For me signing Neal Maupay. 6 goals but his workrate is unbelievable. Only just turned 23.

12th in the table and looking very comfortable dare i say ?

Bottom two places done and dusted now after today. Just that final place up for grabs.

This makes me really  cheerful.  

Great, go and tell the Brighton fans who might actually give a toss?

1 hour ago, JF said:

There’s a block button?

I should have dragged it out.😀

Hover over someone's name/avatar and an ignore user button comes up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

Free female sanitary wear which has been the highlight of the season so far

also the return of scampi to the Gunn club today 

42EE97D1-7692-4021-850F-BE6B02284833.jpeg

I hope you enjoyed your breadcrumbed Tampons.

6 points off safety with 22 games to go

Just a few years ago Leicester were rooted to the bottom 7 points from safety with only 9 games to go... 

• Like 1

Let's go back to the wonderful Championship where there is no VAR. Well worth getting relegated for

• Like 1