Sign in to follow this  
Dr Greenthumb

Pace and fitness in the attacking area

Two key elements I hope are added to the team in January, I liked how sheffs countered with it today, this is how we should be playing. Not this lump it up the pitch nonsense

After watching the game this afternoon I think we need a couple of defenders who can defend.A centre back who can play the ball forwards rather than back to the keeper who then knocks it long anyway and a bit more robust player to compete with Max who has not stepped up like we all thought he would.Good first half but needed the second goal.They came out to play in the second half and within a few minutes we were not at the races.

13 minutes ago, clever trevor said:

After watching the game this afternoon I think we need a couple of defenders who can defend.A centre back who can play the ball forwards rather than back to the keeper who then knocks it long anyway and a bit more robust player to compete with Max who has not stepped up like we all thought he would.Good first half but needed the second goal.They came out to play in the second half and within a few minutes we were not at the races.

Max and Lewis have really dissapointed me this season. I get they are young and need to learn, but it’s not going to keep us up. They seem very lightweight too

2 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Two key elements I hope are added to the team in January, I liked how sheffs countered with it today, this is how we should be playing. Not this lump it up the pitch nonsense

What are you talking about? Are you accusing us of lumping it up the pitch? 

13 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

What are you talking about? Are you accusing us of lumping it up the pitch? 

We were pumping it up to pukki a fair bit, that’s what I am talking about 

3 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

It happened a few times in the game when our defenders had to clear a bouncing ball under pressure, but to accuse us of being a team who 'lumps the ball up the pitch' is beyond ridiculous. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Max and Lewis have really dissapointed me this season. I get they are young and need to learn, but it’s not going to keep us up. They seem very lightweight too

Max and Jamal have had some very good games for us this season. Max got caught out for the first goal yesterday, but really he was the wrong person to be in that position, in the middle of the goal, defending a cross. That needs to be addressed, but he has been brilliant at times this season, as has Jamal.  As you say they are young and are learning. Give them time - and yes, there is time this season for them to grow into their roles.

3 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

I'm pleased to see us doing that a little bit, to be honest. Farke is frequently accused of having 'no Plan B', and we're vulnerable to high pressing, but when we try to mix it up a little bit to counteract that, we're suddenly a 'lump it long' team? Bonkers. Besides, most of the longer balls were either aimed into channels for Hernandez, or aimed towards McLean, who's better in the air.

30 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Max and Jamal have had some very good games for us this season. Max got caught out for the first goal yesterday, but really he was the wrong person to be in that position, in the middle of the goal, defending a cross. That needs to be addressed, but he has been brilliant at times this season, as has Jamal.  As you say they are young and are learning. Give them time - and yes, there is time this season for them to grow into their roles.

The man who got on the end of the cross was their left wingback, exactly the player Max should be marking in that situation.

The problem is his lack of height is quite easy for teams to exploit with deep crosses to the far post. Longer term I think we should be playing a back three to minimise the opportunities for that.

I think what is being forgotten here is why we down our end for their first goal, we had a free kick in a position to allow a ball into their box, but we chose to go sideways and backwards leaving a lot of our team out of position. This also debunks the myth that we have turned into long ball merchants.........

6 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

I think what is being forgotten here is why we down our end for their first goal, we had a free kick in a position to allow a ball into their box, but we chose to go sideways and backwards leaving a lot of our team out of position. This also debunks the myth that we have turned into long ball merchants.........

I can't believe we managed to concede from our our free-kick. That one, in the position it was, was crying to be put into the box.

It's an absolute horror show to watch.

And to others... we did lump the ball forward a LOT in that game. It's ultimately aimless as pretty much nobody won a header from those long balls forward all game! We are far from becoming 'long ball merchants' but at least recognise that we DID do it and it DIDN'T work.

We had to resort to long balls, when Sheff Utd pressed more. This is happening a lot to us and we don't seem to be able to play our way out of it anymore.

Edited by BobLoz3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

It happened a few times in the game when our defenders had to clear a bouncing ball under pressure, but to accuse us of being a team who 'lumps the ball up the pitch' is beyond ridiculous. 

Oh I am sorry, the amazing tippy tappy football we were playing yesterday was scintillating to watch! I never said that was our way of playing, but yesterday, we did it. My next question would be, a lot of teams are playing it from the back (like we do) and we are not playing high lines on them, why is that?