Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

How much do we spend in January? Do we try to save the season?

This team isnt showing signs of surviving. We've missed key players, but now it seems more than that. We persist with zonal marking making us soft at set pieces. We arent showing the mental characteristics to be successful in avoiding the drop.

Selling our prospects at the halfway point would be suicide. But we're likely to cash in in the summer, regardless of the division we're in.

So do we accept our fate, stick with the long term model, spend very little and plan for next season?

Do we consider being in this league an opportunity which may not come again for a long time and fight tooth and nail financially to stay here? If we decide to throw money at it - how much, for whom, and where?

Do we even consider that with a managerial change, the current squad is good enough to keep us up?

I just dont know myself

Just now, Making Plans said:

There's no point in spending anything because we will not spend anywhere near enough to make a difference.

That's kind of where I am. We could throw £150m at it and still be no better. Some of the £40m players I've seen this season looked sh*te

• Like 1

we will look hopeless on standing January so no way top player to come at almost relegated team.

Panic buy not help us long term because with this tempo we need to think January for championship next year.

Its not only problem that we missed so many must  games but also problem is that no other 3 teams who look possible to relegated.

Disaster 2nd half today 😕

I just dont understand how we can show grit, fight, determination in games like Man City and Arsenal, and Everton was a big improvement, then the next game give it up as a bad job and roll over.

It's the inconsistency I find baffling. Sometimes the team seems totally up for it, the next moment uninterested. What drives that? We seem weak away, but today's capitulation happened at Home so it's not as simple as that

Wew lost a match, that's all. It's going to happen in this league and as disappointing as it was, Sheff Utd have one of the best away records in the league.  Money/January panic buys will not help much.

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

Wew lost a match, that's all. It's going to happen in this league and as disappointing as it was, Sheff Utd have one of the best away records in the league.  Money/January panic buys will not help much.

But it's more than just 'lost a match'. It's 'lost several matches', and also the manner in which the team crumbled today. 

• Like 1

I’d cash in on any of the defenders that are being touted with big moves. None of them are worth the figures being quoted. I would then look at high level defenders in the champs. I’d get a pacy attacker and another winger in and I would sell Srbeny (if possible). I’m concerned we will lose Pukki in the summer, we need to prepare for that. Leitners days are probably numbered too.

all this is just my opinion, but we need to be ready for that horrible slog next season

4 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

We  are losing most matches, that’s why we are where we are in the league

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Happy clapping again Lakey?

The writing is on the wall. We have the same problems now as we did at the start of the season. I dont see us getting better - do you? There are no signs. Without a change we get relegated, most fans have probably come to that conclusion now.

So do we try to make that change, or do we play the long game?

We shouldnt sell in January, unless it's a loan-back deal. Otherwise that's just suicide

Just now, norfolkbroadslim said:

We'll do well to avoid relegation next season.

Don't be daft. We've got a great Champs quality team. They just haven't stepped up that extra level needed. And no, I don't think we should spend just to stay in the league. That is the reason we have to go down the self funding model in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

We’ve lost 11 games, not just “a match, that’s all”.

You might be trying to be positive, but comments like this are in many ways more negative than those realists who can see that (as the management at the club have said all along) there is a much bigger picture than just this season. Permanently sticking your head in the sand and effectively dismissing any serious discussion about whether/how we start to prepare for the longer term (which is what this thread is asking about) is equally as negative about the club’s longer term plan than any “short-termists” calling for the manager/board/whoever else to go based on half a season’s results. 

As for the question asked initially, I don’t think we should change the plan we’ve had all the way through. If there is a good young player or prem squad player we can pick up fairly cheap (such as Byram) then we might be tempted in January, we won’t be breaking the bank though. 

• Like 1

Just now, Herman said:

Don't be daft. We've got a great Champs quality team. They just haven't stepped up that extra level needed. And no, I don't think we should spend just to stay in the league. That is the reason we have to go down the self funding model in the first place.

Depends how many stay though.

Godfrey, Arrons, Buendia, Pukki, Drmic, Amadou and possibly Lewis, Byram, Cantwell and Onel will all want to be off. If we look to replace them with Srbeny's then no. No we dont 

Just now, The Great Mass Debater said:

Godfrey, Arrons, Buendia, Pukki, Drmic, Amadou and possibly Lewis, Byram, Cantwell and Onel will all want to be off. If we look to replace them with Srbeny's then no. No we dont 

I’m not convinced Aarons, Lewis, Byram will be sought after. The first two in particular would be expensive options and might be seen as too much of a risk for lower prem sides to take a punt on. They haven’t been good enough to attract interest from larger clubs. Pukki - all depends what he wants. Godfrey and Amadou unlikely to still be here if we go down. 

3 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

On current showing they can say they want to leave but who will want to buy?

At half time I said "I hope that was not our good half", unfortunately it was. So frustrating to watch us throw away the chance of three points, all stemming from not being positive from a free kick. Rather than getting the ball forward we go sideways and backwards and before you know it Sheff Utd are back on terms, tails up now they go in front and lets be honest once we are behind you know that is it for the afternoon. One positive of relegation will e not having to contend with VAR.......

16 minutes ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

We'll do well to avoid relegation next season.

Get a grip man. 

Too late, investment should have been made in summer. Richest club in the Champs that will be us. We will never be as fortunate as we were last season and go up on a shoestring.

shoestrings don’t work in the PL.

The board will reep what they have sown..........nothing!

2nd half we crumbled like a biscuit it was pitiful. No point in spending any money, it's all about a promotion push next season. 

2 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

This team isnt showing signs of surviving. We've missed key players, but now it seems more than that. We persist with zonal marking making us soft at set pieces. We arent showing the mental characteristics to be successful in avoiding the drop.

Selling our prospects at the halfway point would be suicide. But we're likely to cash in in the summer, regardless of the division we're in.

So do we accept our fate, stick with the long term model, spend very little and plan for next season?

Do we consider being in this league an opportunity which may not come again for a long time and fight tooth and nail financially to stay here? If we decide to throw money at it - how much, for whom, and where?

Do we even consider that with a managerial change, the current squad is good enough to keep us up?

I just dont know myself

Your criticisms seem to be more about the coaching than the team.

We have lost 10 matches Lakey, not just todays We are second from bottom in a very tough league where teams that we supposed would be below us are looking down at us. I admire your determination, it isn't loyalty as most are as loyal as you are. They just show it differently.
But I'm with you on any purchases, maybe for different reasons but unless we can win the next four tough games or at least get 8 points, I fear it may be too late to turn it around.