Jump to content
Note to existing users - password reset is required Read more... ×
Jim Smith

"Delighted with how everything is going at Carrow Road"

Recommended Posts

I don’t think anyone’s overly happy with how results, not to say performances, have gone so far. However I get fed up of coming on here after a poor result and seeing the same old names starting thread after thread with the same theme. If you all feel so strongly about the ownership then do something positive about it rather than subjecting the rest of us to constant whining, particularly if you’re not going to quote the entire thing just to validate your own viewpoint.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr Angry said:

Don't you just love it when the true fans really get behind the club after a defeat? 

What is a true fan? Every supporter gets behind the team, but far too many have seen it all before and comment accordingly. This isn’t the first time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, City 2nd said:

What is a true fan? Every supporter gets behind the team, but far too many have seen it all before and comment accordingly. This isn’t the first time!

And those people should also know that even from a bad position good things can happen.....even last season showed that, so you don't even have to go that far back to see it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rivvo said:

I don’t think anyone’s overly happy with how results, not to say performances, have gone so far. However I get fed up of coming on here after a poor result and seeing the same old names starting thread after thread with the same theme. If you all feel so strongly about the ownership then do something positive about it rather than subjecting the rest of us to constant whining, particularly if you’re not going to quote the entire thing just to validate your own viewpoint.

You want people on here to do something about it? @king canary told me moaning on here about the owners was the first place to start. Problem is theyve been doing it over ten years so I'm not sure when Step 2 kicks in...😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t want anyone to do anything, I’ve found over the years that people invariably do what they want regardless of my wishes. I don’t see how people moaning about the same thing constantly on here will help them achieve their objectives. Presumably they could organise a twitter protest if they don’t fancy doing something physical like demonstrating or attending AGMs to put their view across?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are the owner or an accountant this season has been fantastic. If you are a season ticket holder and sunk God knows how many hundreds of pounds of your disposable income into this club you might think differently and have every reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Has Delia, or any other owner, ever told a commentator before a game that they don't fancy the manager?

that wasn’t the point of the post that I am replying to, the point is, that Delia wouldn’t speak her true feelings, followed by examples. Then I replied that she hasn’t held back before. Ie. Talking about foreign owners or coming onto a pitch at half time, intoxicated, with a microphone 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, lake district canary said:

And those people should also know that even from a bad position good things can happen.....even last season showed that, so you don't even have to go that far back to see it!

To see what? Each and every time city have reached the prem the owners, whoever they were at the time, did exactly as they are now from a bad position, which was sweet FA. We are not deemed a yo yo club without reason!  I like your quote Lakey about ‘being ahead of schedule. How the hell can a football club be ahead of schedule? Surely if you are planning to return to the prem, and were lucky enough to do so, you plan to stay there at all costs! There are simply no guarantees in football!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

He said it twice then. He did admittedly say “of course they would like a few more points” but then he said “but they are delighted with how everything is going at Carrow Road.”

if he subsequent corrected that then yes fair enough it slightly changes it but I would still argue it shows that premier league survival is not the priority it should be. 

They do not see staying in the Premiership as a goal though... They have stated top 26 is the objective so I guess it's high fives all round.. just so demoralising being also runs in premiership but so so predictable. As is the posts against anyone not following the party line.... Oh well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

Once again Jim Smith is the voice of reason 

Once again Jimbo hates everything about our club.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hogesar said:

They were probably talking longer term than just 15 odd games into one season. They were likely referring to the overall scenario.

Because that's what they have to do, unlike us fans who can kick off after one game and kick their arses the next, apparently 

This is exactly how it sounded to me when the commentator said it today. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It does depend on the context. As a statement, it does sound slightly curious. But if it means, where we were 10 years ago then of course she/we are happy.

I'm miserable at the moment because I have just witnessed a defeat and a poor 2nd half performance but admit we are in a better position than this time two seasons ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Surely we’re behind schedule when we play Championship football next season.

No.

If we were ahead of schedule going up then we must be even further ahead of schedule coming down.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rivvo said:

 I get fed up of coming on here after a poor result and seeing the same old names starting thread after thread with the same theme.

What about the same old names responding to those threads with the same theme ?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

No.

If we were ahead of schedule going up then we must be even further ahead of schedule coming down.

 

  We're always on schedule for a bumpy ride. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

Don't you just love it when the true fans really get behind the club after a defeat? 

Mr Angry, do you just copy & paste the same pointless quote across the forum? I'm starting to think you're a Nigerian prince - do you want my bank details?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
 
 
3
3 hours ago, City 2nd said:

To see what? Each and every time city have reached the prem the owners, whoever they were at the time, did exactly as they are now from a bad position, which was sweet FA. We are not deemed a yo yo club without reason!  I like your quote Lakey about ‘being ahead of schedule. How the hell can a football club be ahead of schedule? Surely if you are planning to return to the prem, and were lucky enough to do so, you plan to stay there at all costs! There are simply no guarantees in football!

Let's say, for example, you're in League One. You lose 7-1 at home on the first day of the season, and your new Chief Exec demands an immediate change of manager. He brings in a new manager, and demands promotion. He then says he has a five-year plan to be a Premier League club. The club achieves back-to-back promotions, and achieves its five-year target in two years. The club then stays in the Premier League despite being the poorest club in the league financially. Then the club's talismanic manager leaves in the close season, and the club appoints a new manager who plays a totally different style of football to the one that's got it so far 'ahead of schedule'. This manager then keeps the club in the Premier League, achieving an even higher finish than the season before.

That would be 'ahead of schedule', wouldn't it? But of course, we'll gloss over that if it doesn't suit our agenda.

We'll also gloss over the fact that the club implemented an uncommon management structure involving a 'director of football'-style position, and the first foreign manager in the club's history. Then, after a relatively disappointing first season, when lots of fans were questioning this structure and the results it could achieve, the owners stuck with the formula and watched it deliver the Championship title, despite one of the lowest operating budgets in the Championship. Several youth team players came from nowhere to make significant contributions to winning the league, which is obviously something that fans love to see, right?

I can totally see how the lack of investment over the summer has set us up to fail this season, and if we are relegated then I can understand the argument that the current management structure could (or maybe should) have been given a bit more financial support to strengthen the squad. But to suggest the club's ownership has continually failed us, is to pursue an one-eyed agenda without any ability to rationalise both sides of the argument.

I genuinely believe this football club is currently at the zenith of what it can achieve with the current level of investment, and I don't believe we can hope to cement a PL place under the current ownership. However, the structure and philosophy at the club at the moment is perfectly aligned with its means, and unless we can find a new owner/investor to take the club to the next level, I am totally comfortable that we're doing completely the right thing at the moment.

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

What about the same old names responding to those threads with the same theme ?

 

Indeed yes, the same old names sniping at each other in self perpetuating pointless arguments. Perhaps they should all meet up for a drink to discuss it in person?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

Let's say, for example, you're in League One. You lose 7-1 at home on the first day of the season, and your new Chief Exec demands an immediate change of manager. He brings in a new manager, and demands promotion. He then says he has a five-year plan to be a Premier League club. The club achieves back-to-back promotions, and achieves its five-year target in two years. The club then stays in the Premier League despite being the poorest club in the league financially. Then the club's talismanic manager leaves in the close season, and the club appoints a new manager who plays a totally different style of football to the one that's got it so far 'ahead of schedule'. This manager then keeps the club in the Premier League, achieving an even higher finish than the season before.

That would be 'ahead of schedule', wouldn't it? But of course, we'll gloss over that if it doesn't suit our agenda.

We'll also gloss over the fact that the club implemented an uncommon management structure involving a 'director of football'-style position, and the first foreign manager in the club's history. Then, after a relatively disappointing first season, when lots of fans were questioning this structure and the results it could achieve, the owners stuck with the formula and watched it deliver the Championship title, despite one of the lowest operating budgets in the Championship. Several youth team players came from nowhere to make significant contributions to winning the league, which is obviously something that fans love to see, right?

I can totally see how the lack of investment over the summer has set us up to fail this season, and if we are relegated then I can understand the argument that the current management structure could (or maybe should) have been given a bit more financial support to strengthen the squad. But to suggest the club's ownership has continually failed us, is to pursue an one-eyed agenda without any ability to rationalise both sides of the argument.

I genuinely believe this football club is currently at the zenith of what it can achieve with the current level of investment, and I don't believe we can hope to cement a PL place under the current ownership. However, the structure and philosophy at the club at the moment is perfectly aligned with its means, and unless we can find a new owner/investor to take the club to the next level, I am totally comfortable that we're doing completely the right thing at the moment.

 

 

Dont have any "likes" left but great post.

To be honest I'm starting to wonder if theres just a select group of posters with emotional issues who are unable to cope with us losing and have to land a blame somewhere to help them deal with it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

I genuinely believe this football club is currently at the zenith of what it can achieve with the current level of investment, and I don't believe we can hope to cement a PL place under the current ownership. However, the structure and philosophy at the club at the moment is perfectly aligned with its means, and unless we can find a new owner/investor to take the club to the next level, I am totally comfortable that we're doing completely the right thing at the moment.

Which is the juxtaposition of this club in a nutshell. Given the level of current investment we are massively overachieving but can we honestly say that we're happy with the glass ceiling that this current investment creates? I want to see the club do as well as it possibly can, not limited to being PL also rans because we dont have owners who can put money into the club.  I'm not interested in the "what about all those other teams with money that we're above" arguments, I just think that once again we're failing to capitalise on a magnificent opportunity.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Was apparently what our owners told David Phillips in a chat pre-match today.

Second bottom, 5 points from safety. And they are "delighted."

Says it all.

 

6 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

He said it twice then. He did admittedly say “of course they would like a few more points” but then he said “but they are delighted with how everything is going at Carrow Road.”

if he subsequent corrected that then yes fair enough it slightly changes it but I would still argue it shows that premier league survival is not the priority it should be. 

What it shows, Jim, is that is that you dived straight in and passed on something you had heard of at best second- or third-hand, without checking it out to see if it was true, and leaving out crucial context, just so you could again attack the owners.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Let's say, for example, you're in League One. You lose 7-1 at home on the first day of the season, and your new Chief Exec demands an immediate change of manager. He brings in a new manager, and demands promotion. He then says he has a five-year plan to be a Premier League club. The club achieves back-to-back promotions, and achieves its five-year target in two years. The club then stays in the Premier League despite being the poorest club in the league financially. Then the club's talismanic manager leaves in the close season, and the club appoints a new manager who plays a totally different style of football to the one that's got it so far 'ahead of schedule'. This manager then keeps the club in the Premier League, achieving an even higher finish than the season before.

That would be 'ahead of schedule', wouldn't it? But of course, we'll gloss over that if it doesn't suit our agenda.

We'll also gloss over the fact that the club implemented an uncommon management structure involving a 'director of football'-style position, and the first foreign manager in the club's history. Then, after a relatively disappointing first season, when lots of fans were questioning this structure and the results it could achieve, the owners stuck with the formula and watched it deliver the Championship title, despite one of the lowest operating budgets in the Championship. Several youth team players came from nowhere to make significant contributions to winning the league, which is obviously something that fans love to see, right?

I can totally see how the lack of investment over the summer has set us up to fail this season, and if we are relegated then I can understand the argument that the current management structure could (or maybe should) have been given a bit more financial support to strengthen the squad. But to suggest the club's ownership has continually failed us, is to pursue an one-eyed agenda without any ability to rationalise both sides of the argument.

I genuinely believe this football club is currently at the zenith of what it can achieve with the current level of investment, and I don't believe we can hope to cement a PL place under the current ownership. However, the structure and philosophy at the club at the moment is perfectly aligned with its means, and unless we can find a new owner/investor to take the club to the next level, I am totally comfortable that we're doing completely the right thing at the moment.

 

 

Really good post.

I am an advocate for a longer term change of ownership but to suggest the current owners have let us down is just wrong. They are, if anything, a victim of their own success as they keep taking us to (in my opinion) the upper limit of what we can do under this model.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BarclayWazza said:

Which is the juxtaposition of this club in a nutshell. Given the level of current investment we are massively overachieving but can we honestly say that we're happy with the glass ceiling that this current investment creates? I want to see the club do as well as it possibly can, not limited to being PL also rans because we dont have owners who can put money into the club.  I'm not interested in the "what about all those other teams with money that we're above" arguments, I just think that once again we're failing to capitalise on a magnificent opportunity.

I totally understand this argument too, Wazza. I'd love to see us have new investment that could push us on to the next level. However, we're now dealing with nothing but hypotheticals. 

And then the cyclical arguments begin again; are they refusing to engage with potential investors because they want to hang on to their 'train set', or are they merely ensuring their beloved club doesn't fall into the wrong hands by passing it on to someone who they know will share both their prudence and their passion for the club? We can only speculate, but the chances are the truth is somewhere in that narrow strip of middle ground that many observers can't see... 🙂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BarclayWazza said:

Which is the juxtaposition of this club in a nutshell. Given the level of current investment we are massively overachieving but can we honestly say that we're happy with the glass ceiling that this current investment creates? I want to see the club do as well as it possibly can, not limited to being PL also rans because we dont have owners who can put money into the club.  I'm not interested in the "what about all those other teams with money that we're above" arguments, I just think that once again we're failing to capitalise on a magnificent opportunity.

This. If this was our first ever season of Premier League football (like Blackpool, for example) then you could perhaps excuse the 'we're just happy to be here' giddy mentality of our owners. Come May we'll have spent five of the last ten years in the top flight. We've received Sky money in nine(!) of those ten years and yet have still never really managed to get the foothold required to kick on as a club and establish ourselves.

It's not even like we've spent lavishly on our surroundings in that time either...a £5m investment into the training ground (that needed initial funding from others in the form of a bond), a refurb of the facilities at Carrow Road and a splash of technology with the screen in the corner and DigiRibbons at both ends?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×