Jim Smith

"Delighted with how everything is going at Carrow Road"

28 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I totally understand this argument too, Wazza. I'd love to see us have new investment that could push us on to the next level. However, we're now dealing with nothing but hypotheticals. 

And then the cyclical arguments begin again; are they refusing to engage with potential investors because they want to hang on to their 'train set', or are they merely ensuring their beloved club doesn't fall into the wrong hands by passing it on to someone who they know will share both their prudence and their passion for the club? We can only speculate, but the chances are the truth is somewhere in that narrow strip of middle ground that many observers can't see... 🙂

Where I get 'off the train' with these owners so to speak is succession planning. They took us over at a time where their personal fortune was enough to help the club. Football has changed hugely since then and they are now one of the poorest owners in the top two leagues. Not their fault and I don't believe they should have to sell up based on changes out of their control. They've generally steered us well in those years (with the odd misstep), deserve to go out when they are ready to and this current financial model allows for that

What I can't get on board with is them essentially imposing this model on the club for another x many years in order to pass it on to their nephew. If I felt there had been a concerted effort to sell the club but nobody could be found they were comfortable with then fine. I just don't believe that has, or will ever, happen.

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

Where I get 'off the train' with these owners so to speak is succession planning. They took us over at a time where their personal fortune was enough to help the club. Football has changed hugely since then and they are now one of the poorest owners in the top two leagues. Not their fault and I don't believe they should have to sell up based on changes out of their control. They've generally steered us well in those years (with the odd misstep), deserve to go out when they are ready to and this current financial model allows for that

What I can't get on board with is them essentially imposing this model on the club for another x many years in order to pass it on to their nephew. If I felt there had been a concerted effort to sell the club but nobody could be found they were comfortable with then fine. I just don't believe that has, or will ever, happen.

You don't know that, though, you just suspect it. They said in their most recent interview that they have entrusted the question of investment to the Kensell/Ward/Webber triumvirate, and it's up to those three to present any potential investment opportunity that they believe may be worthwhile.

Delia and Michael still have a tremendous amount of goodwill from the fans for 20+ years of passionate ownership. However, if their entire shareholding goes to Tom Smith and we're scrabbling around in the lower reaches of the Championship or worse, the fans will make their voices heard en masse. Clubs are generally more likely to attract takeover bids when they're at a low ebb, and I think that's the point when an investment is most likely to happen. And when it does, let's just hope and pray that we back the right horse.

10 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

You don't know that, though, you just suspect it. They said in their most recent interview that they have entrusted the question of investment to the Kensell/Ward/Webber triumvirate, and it's up to those three to present any potential investment opportunity that they believe may be worthwhile.

Delia and Michael still have a tremendous amount of goodwill from the fans for 20+ years of passionate ownership. However, if their entire shareholding goes to Tom Smith and we're scrabbling around in the lower reaches of the Championship or worse, the fans will make their voices heard en masse. Clubs are generally more likely to attract takeover bids when they're at a low ebb, and I think that's the point when an investment is most likely to happen. And when it does, let's just hope and pray that we back the right horse.

That is why I said 'I don't believe' it has happened.

The club has been pretty contradictory on the issue of outside investment. We're constantly told the club is open to it but in interviews, Delia & MWJ have made the transition to Tom sound like a pretty much sure thing.

48 minutes ago, king canary said:

That is why I said 'I don't believe' it has happened.

The club has been pretty contradictory on the issue of outside investment. We're constantly told the club is open to it but in interviews, Delia & MWJ have made the transition to Tom sound like a pretty much sure thing.

The term used is also "investment" which does not mean a sale of the club. Investment of significant sums of money in return for no control is unlikely to come forward for a club like ours. Man City have just attracted some but then they are a more "sure bet" to stay at the top level, win things and for the investors to potentially recoup their money. At our level, what we really mean by investor will usually be a buyer because they will want to be able to control the club.

I agree its contradictory. I missed that EDP interview in January and it went a little under the radar but they are frequently contradictory on this topic. At AGM's previously they have made statements about being "open to investment" such as that but have also made various other comments in other interviews which contradict it. Even as recently as prior to the Watford game Delia was on tv saying she wanted to carry on forever and then of course there is the famous Times interview. The trend seems to be that in more managed interviews with local journalists the line is "open to investment" but when the guard is down or they are allowed to go off script the message is a little different. 

13 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

The trend seems to be that in more managed interviews with local journalists the line is "open to investment" but when the guard is down or they are allowed to go off script the message is a little different. 

Meaning when they’re not expecting the question we get the truth.

3 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Meaning when they’re not expecting the question we get the truth.

Oh, come on...

"I genuinely believe this football club is currently at the zenith of what it can achieve with the current level of investment, and I don't believe we can hope to cement a PL place under the current ownership. However, the structure and philosophy at the club at the moment is perfectly aligned with its means, and unless we can find a new owner/investor to take the club to the next level"

Absolutely spot on. As a fan who has been standing on the terraces since 1972, I would like to see a new owner / investor taking us to the next level. Weirdly some people view that as treason... strange world.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

"I genuinely believe this football club is currently at the zenith of what it can achieve with the current level of investment, and I don't believe we can hope to cement a PL place under the current ownership. However, the structure and philosophy at the club at the moment is perfectly aligned with its means, and unless we can find a new owner/investor to take the club to the next level"

Absolutely spot on. As a fan who has been standing on the terraces since 1972, I would like to see a new owner / investor taking us to the next level. Weirdly some people view that as treason... strange world.

Who views that as treason?

1 hour ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Not treason, but it's border line delusional.  As a fan who has been going to matches since the late 60's, I have noted time and time again over the years that we are not the kind of club that attracts big investors. If we were it would have happened by now and we are frankly very lucky to have what we do have in place now, given the way football is these days. If we descend into L1 or do a Southampton, get miles into debt, go into administration etc, then yes, an investor might come forwards to grab a bargain, but we are at present in the top league, have no debt and a very healthy club overall, not something that would attract investment because the price to buy it would be too high.  Long may that continue. Even if we are relegated we will be in a good position to go again, unlike many other clubs who get relegated and struggle. Big investment?? Just pie in the sky.

Edited by lake district canary

37 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Not treason, but it's border line delusional

Oh christ my irony meter has exploded, reassembled and exploded again.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, hogesar said:

To be honest I'm starting to wonder if theres just a select group of posters with emotional issues who are unable to cope with us losing and have to land a blame somewhere to help them deal with it. 

hogesar in poster bashing shocker.

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

No way!! Cant be true @hogesar. I wanted his attention TIL so I used his sick tag 

Its daft to label people who have a very different attitude to defeat than others as traitors etc.

The fact is, there are some, and they are sporadic, who just come on to incite or tease. But of course there are many who take defeat badly and aren't afraid of showing their emotion. Good for them. Nothing wrong with that.

Just the same as those who do not believe defeat is something to get upset about and just believe in the club itself no matter what. Good for them. Nothing wrong with that either.

But each will have their moments of joy in different measure. 

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

To be fair, I simply 'wondered', never accused.

But cheers for a pointless reply (again)

And of course you've never said anything about another poster on here 😂😂🙄

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Yeah i will admit to one or two but certainly not the number that you pick off merely because you do not subscribe to their train of thought. You really need to take a long hard look in the mirror if you wish to now point out pointless replies.

Have a nice evening.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Not treason, but it's border line delusional.  As a fan who has been going to matches since the late 60's, I have noted time and time again over the years that we are not the kind of club that attracts big investors. If we were it would have happened by now and we are frankly very lucky to have what we do have in place now, given the way football is these days. If we descend into L1 or do a Southampton, get miles into debt, go into administration etc, then yes, an investor might come forwards to grab a bargain, but we are at present in the top league, have no debt and a very healthy club overall, not something that would attract investment because the price to buy it would be too high.  Long may that continue. Even if we are relegated we will be in a good position to go again, unlike many other clubs who get relegated and struggle. Big investment?? Just pie in the sky.

So there are no other Premier League clubs with minimal or no debt that have been sold to new investors? If there are, why not us?

It’s easy to say “no-one will come and buy us” when there’s a 60ft neon light sign over Carrow Road that reads “investors will be shot on sight”. Delia has made it clear she doesn’t want to sell and she wants to hand the club to Tom (who has even less money than her). So we’re supposed to just sit down and accept that our club will not benefit from outside investment because Delia wants to keep it in the family?

That may be enough for some people but I suspect I’m not alone in thinking that a new owner, more investment and a fresh perspective at the helm might be what we need to establish ourselves in the Premier League the next time we go up. Because if that’s not the aim of having a club in the first place (to win games and climb the leagues) then why the hell do we watch? It’s a competition, wanting to win and succeed is clearly implied!

• Like 1

Let’s hope when Master Tom takes over he doesn't do another Galway Roast deal

2 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

That may be enough for some people but I suspect I’m not alone in thinking that a new owner, more investment and a fresh perspective at the helm might be what we need to establish ourselves in the Premier League the next time we go up. Because if that’s not the aim of having a club in the first place (to win games and climb the leagues) then why the hell do we watch? It’s a competition, wanting to win and succeed is clearly implied!

For me the PL is a conglomeration of people with obscene amounts of money paying ridiculous amounts for players that are not worth it.  Some of you want to try and buy success by finding someone with oodles of money to do the same, I am quite content to see how far we can go with the policy we have now - pitting our wits against that and seeing how far we can go with a sustainable policy.....in fact I wouldn't want it any other way.

We are ahead of ourselves as it is, getting promoted within two years - and that is great and even if we go down now, we have money in the form of parachute payments to keep us going with upward momentum in the long term. I still don't think we will go down, there is a long way to go yet, but the club policy is clear, we build from within, youth policy key to it and see how things develop over three/four/five years. 

I love the club and the way it has evolved and moved on from different CEO's and policies over the years to where we are now. Best ever (imo) season last season, almost total security financially (as near as any football club can be) and still all to play for this.

What's not to like, apart from some temporary setbacks while we adjust to this league? We need to improve of course - and improve we can.

On 08/12/2019 at 16:53, daly said:

One thing Delia won’t be too happy Friday morning when Comrade Corbyn finds himself in the bottom 2

If you're going to post on here, why not break the habit of a lifetime and comment on a subject to you know something about?

11 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

What's not to like, apart from some temporary setbacks while we adjust to this league? We need to improve of course - and improve we can.

Would one win in the last eleven games be one of these temporary setbacks you mention Lakey ?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Would one win in the last eleven games be one of these temporary setbacks you mention Lakey ?

We're nearly half way through the season but we're adapting to EPL, we will be down and still adapting to life in the prem. We're so bad 1 half and not bad the other half of a game. Welcome to norwich a fine yoyo football club

53 minutes ago, hogesar said:

🎣🎣🎣 reel him in TIL, think you got a big one 😂

48 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

If you're going to post on here, why not break the habit of a lifetime and comment on a subject to you know something about?

I wouldn't hold your breath..

1 hour ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

So there are no other Premier League clubs with minimal or no debt that have been sold to new investors? If there are, why not us?

It’s easy to say “no-one will come and buy us” when there’s a 60ft neon light sign over Carrow Road that reads “investors will be shot on sight”. Delia has made it clear she doesn’t want to sell and she wants to hand the club to Tom (who has even less money than her). So we’re supposed to just sit down and accept that our club will not benefit from outside investment because Delia wants to keep it in the family?

Of course not. It's a free country; if this sentiment is so strong, why don't you do something about it rather than just posting ridiculous rhetoric on a message board about investors being 'shot on sight'? This is the problem with the 'Delia out' campaign; they don't have the guts to do anything about it other than just post oversimplified crap on an internet message board.

Organise a protest outside the ground? Get some fliers printed? Mobilise an action group and go to the press? The floor is yours.

There's no need for such drastic measures to get your voice heard. There's many forums where fans can go and ask questions or even make accusations. Although if you take the latter course it's better to be sure of your facts...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

There's no need for such drastic measures to get your voice heard. There's many forums where fans can go and ask questions or even make accusations. Although if you take the latter course it's better to be sure of your facts...

Dont be giving us this facts rubbish Nuttyo, i got called allsorts  by TvB just because i called him out on facts, he emptied an abusive tirade then ran away by blocking me. Rarely seen since, maybe he's softened his cough, or maybe he's still searching for that webber quote.

I fer kin love Delia.

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

Loser

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

2 minutes ago, daly said:

Loser

you know about being a loser? 

58 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Dont be giving us this facts rubbish Nuttyo, i got called allsorts  by TvB just because i called him out on facts, he emptied an abusive tirade then ran away by blocking me. Rarely seen since, maybe he's softened his cough, or maybe he's still searching for that webber quote.

I fer kin love Delia.

I was thinking about the AGM and "Factgate" with Ben Kensell and a poster from here🙃