Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Can Norwich keep Leicester down to 5 goals next Saturday

On 08/12/2019 at 23:57, Well b back said:

No we didn’t. Those threads were about how it was a free hit and how we were going to stop Sterling. It was that Lakey guy saying ridiculous things like we were better at keeping the ball than Man City that people were commenting on. Just like that game in this I can’t see how we stop Vardy or Maddison, but hey ho we did it against Man City so maybe there will be a way on Saturday. 

You keep saying it over the weeks on different threads, but can you stop writing that I said we were better than Man City at keeping the ball. It was not what was said. If you cannot understand what is written, then best you don't say anything at all.  You can even quote the sentences I talked about possession if you like and it will show that I said that to beat Man City we would have to keep the ball off them and that at our best we might be able to do well, but I did not ever say we were better than them.

• Like 1

As regards Leicester - and if "we'll be back" can learn to understand plain English - I would say that their threat is pace on the break. Vardy is not the ony issue as they have other pacy players - and like I said against Man City (even though our tactics against them were different to what I said they should be) our best bet is to keep the ball as well as possible, not try anything rash, not allow them to exploit their pace, frustrate them as much as possible and then hope to nick a ball off them and score on the break ourselves perhaps later in the game. 

We also have to be very careful not to give silly free kicks away with the quality they have there and  would be hoping for a 1-0 away win, like we had several times last season.  It will be tough, Leicester are one of the best sides in the country, but it can be done.

Hi guys.

First I am a Leicester fan in peace.  I take an interest in Norwich as my parents live in Norfolk.

On the subject of spending I hope you welcome an outsider's view.

I think you didnt spend enough in the summer, of course I recognise you have only a moderately wealthy owner, but I was surprised with how little you spent, however I agree with most of you here that you shouldnt break the bank in January.

I think bringing in fresh faces if cheap would be ok, e.g. we got Huth on loan in during our great escape season, we came back from a worser place than you are now, he eventually cost us just 3 million.  

So you need to look for out of favour players at other clubs, they may have fell out with their manager, have poor injury record or something, and take that punt.

In addition you can clearly improve without buying players as well, I think you have a lot of defensive organisation problems.  That can be improved with coaching.  I think you are a better team than in 2015/16 but this season the teams at the bottom are of a better standard then that season, the bar has been raised.

Ironically we play you next and it would be amusing for you guys I guess if you beat us with a clean sheet after I make this post 😉

What really stood out to me is a game a few weeks back, where you conceded after a winger lost the ball trying to attack, and that player who lost it (along with half of your team) showed no urgency in getting back to a defensive posture or trying to win it back.  Known as transition.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

You keep saying it over the weeks on different threads, but can you stop writing that I said we were better than Man City at keeping the ball. It was not what was said. If you cannot understand what is written, then best you don't say anything at all.  You can even quote the sentences I talked about possession if you like and it will show that I said that to beat Man City we would have to keep the ball off them and that at our best we might be able to do well, but I did not ever say we were better than them.

it is clear how you stop him - you keep the ball, keepossession.

we can still finish 4th.

2 of your many quotes. 

10 minutes ago, Well b back said:

it is clear how you stop him - you keep the ball, keepossession.

we can still finish 4th.

2 of your many quotes.

And how is that saying we are better than Man City at keeping the ball? 

And at that stage of the season there was still a capability of finishing in the top six. That has gone, I'll grant you,

1 hour ago, foxchrys said:

Hi guys.

First I am a Leicester fan in peace.  I take an interest in Norwich as my parents live in Norfolk.

I think you didnt spend enough in the summer, of course I recognise you have only a moderately wealthy owner, but I was surprised with how little you spent, however I agree with most of you here that you shouldnt break the bank in January.

I think bringing in fresh faces if cheap would be ok, e.g. we got Huth on loan in during our great escape season, we came back from a worser place than you are now, he eventually cost us just 3 million.  

So you need to look for out of favour players at other clubs, they may have fell out with their manager, have poor injury record or something, and take that punt.

In addition you can clearly improve without buying players as well, I think you have a lot of defensive organisation problems.  That can be improved with coaching.  I think you are a better team than in 2015/16 but this season the teams at the bottom are of a better standard then that season, the bar has been raised.

Ironically we play you next and it would be amusing for you guys I guess if you beat us with a clean sheet after I make this post 😉

What really stood out to me is a game a few weeks back, where you conceded after a winger lost the ball trying to attack, and that player who lost it (along with half of your team) showed no urgency in getting back to a defensive posture or trying to win it back.  Known as transition.

Glad you said this as well as I think that’s all we need a Huth that just wins everything. 

You make some good points then in the last sentence cause a bit of conflict by making out we don’t understand transition and what we are doing wrong. Don’t spoil it for yourselves as you are fast becoming a lot of people’s second team this year especially amongst us with the Maddison connection. 

By the way did you not start by buying players cheap the same as us based on stats from their previous clubs - Mahrez, Vardy and McGuire spring to mind. Really interested as that shows the model can work. Was your problem before Huth came along defending like ours ?

1 hour ago, foxchrys said:

Hi guys.

Agree with what you say other than taking a punt on somebody with a poor injury record, we have been there before. It will be another three points for Leicester, I am hoping we can just put in a decent performance for both halves. All the best for the rest of the season.

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

As regards Leicester - and if "we'll be back" can learn to understand plain English - I would say that their threat is pace on the break. Vardy is not the ony issue as they have other pacy players - and like I said against Man City (even though our tactics against them were different to what I said they should be) our best bet is to keep the ball as well as possible, not try anything rash, not allow them to exploit their pace, frustrate them as much as possible and then hope to nick a ball off them and score on the break ourselves perhaps later in the game. 

We also have to be very careful not to give silly free kicks away with the quality they have there and  would be hoping for a 1-0 away win, like we had several times last season.  It will be tough, Leicester are one of the best sides in the country, but it can be done.

Those tactics sound a touch contradictory- you can't both play possession-based keep ball and hit teams on the break. To hit a team on the break they generally need to have the ball first.

The best bet v a player like Vardy is to sit deeper, not allow balls in behind the defence and minimise the space he has to use his pace in. However by adding talent like Maddison Leicester now have the ability to play through teams too so are very difficult to defend against. 

2 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Hi foxy, no offence but we do know what transition is in Norfolk 😉

True Franko,we know what it is, we haven't mastered it though.

Edited by wcorkcanary

We will win 2-1 then go on a 21 match winning run to qualify for the   Europa League. Delia wii be made a dame and I will still be in a drunken stupor. 

3 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

We will win 2-1 then go on a 21 match winning run to qualify for the   Europa League. Delia wii be made a dame and I will still be in a drunken stupor. 

So will she if that happens.

To keep the score down we need to (a) stop giving away cheap and needless free kicks outside the box (b) reduce corners to an absolute minimum (c) stop fuffing about with the ball in dangerous areas (d) remember that the game restarts at 46 minutes and not 75 minutes and (e) when we have a free kick on the halfway line don't pass the bloody ball back to Krul.

Achieve all that and and who knows

A straw to cling to for Saturday. The season when Leicester won the Premier League and we got relegated we went to The Kingpower late in the season expecting a hiding. We actually played very well and could have got at least a point if Jerome hadn't missed a brilliant chance. 

This is norwich, so we will probably win this, against all odds, and look amazing. This will then keep hope alive. Then, just as we start to believe, we will lose the next three.  

7 hours ago, king canary said:

Those tactics sound a touch contradictory- you can't both play possession-based keep ball and hit teams on the break. To hit a team on the break they generally need to have the ball first.

Not necessarily. you can play possession football in your own half, inviting the press. the next step is to realise exactly when you have them sucked in and release the ball to a free area of the pitch,to one of your own players who , though not occupying that space,is ready and on the move to receive the ball.

Space created, ball delivered, player arrives. The break is on.

8 hours ago, Well b back said:

Glad you said this as well as I think that’s all we need a Huth that just wins everything. 

You make some good points then in the last sentence cause a bit of conflict by making out we don’t understand transition and what we are doing wrong. Don’t spoil it for yourselves as you are fast becoming a lot of people’s second team this year especially amongst us with the Maddison connection. 

By the way did you not start by buying players cheap the same as us based on stats from their previous clubs - Mahrez, Vardy and McGuire spring to mind. Really interested as that shows the model can work. Was your problem before Huth came along defending like ours ?

We had problems at the back, Wes was panicking a lot and making mistakes, we lacked organisation, Huth had the benefit he was very experienced in the EPL and so not only did we benefit from him as a player but he also improved Wes Morgan.  A Huth type player could completely transform you, it could be that simple.

In regards to Vardy and co, you could argue that before promotion its a good idea to buy players and prepare ahead of time, as once you promoted clubs will rinse you for cash knowing you have EPL money. Maguire wasnt cheap (we got him whilst in the EPL), but Vardy was a few million from a lower league club, and Mahrez was cheap from a not very well known French club.  

Sometimes I watch a team in the EPL (including previous Leicester teams) and I know they just not up to par ability wise.  I dont see that with Norwich, at least not with all of your players, I think its a mixture of confidence and organisation, sometimes bringing in players who are not even technically better can help as its fresh new faces full of confidence and players that other teams dont know how they play so makes you a bit more unpredictable as well.

Edited by foxchrys

3 minutes ago, foxchrys said:

We had problems at the back, Wes was panicking a lot and making mistakes, we lacked organisation, Huth had the benefit he was very experienced in the EPL and so not only did we benefit from him as a player but he also improved Wes Morgan.  A Huth type player could completely transform you, it could be that simple.

In regards to Vardy and co, you could argue that before promotion its a good idea to buy players and prepare ahead of time, as once you promoted clubs will rinse you for cash knowing you have EPL money. Maguire wasnt cheap (we got him whilst in the EPL), but Vardy was a few million from a lower league club, and Mahrez was cheap from a not very well known French club.  

Sometimes I watch a team in the EPL (including previous Leicester teams) and I know they just not up to par ability wise.  I dont see that with Norwich, at least not with all of your players, I think its a mixture of confidence and organisation, sometimes bringing in players who are not even technically better can help as its fresh new faces full of confidence and players that other teams dont know how they play so makes you a bit more unpredictable as well.

All good points Chryso, i like the non biased eye.  Now i really like zimmerman and Godfrey ,but (sacrilege on here) we concede too many goals close in, crosses they should clear, second balls etc. from an outsiders point of view , who would you replace , and with who, the experienced journeyman who has surpassed all expectations, or the young inexperienced converted defensive midfielder, given £15 mill to spend, which i'm sure we could find if the right player comes up?

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

This is norwich, so we will probably win this, against all odds, and look amazing. This will then keep hope alive. Then, just as we start to believe, we will lose the next three.  

If you enjoy your breakfast Bootso, do you then assume that lunch and dinner will disappoint?

3 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

So will she if that happens.

I think she'd grab the announcer's microphone and 'shing' in Karaoke style 'My Wahay'......"To the beshtest fushball fansh"....hic 🤭

2 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

If you enjoy your breakfast Bootso, do you then assume that lunch and dinner will disappoint?

I was going to reply in this vein wcork, but decided against it. But since you've done so, my question to Old Boots was this.

If you won the Lottery would you refrain from leaving your house the next day in case you were struck by a meteorite? 

• Haha 2

I'm living in the present day ... no use in anticipating the future , not a soul on here knows what will happen. I used to get worked up about what might happen... s not worth it!

I will be a NCFC fan for the rest of my life ... thrashing , relegation, whatever ... it won't change that

12 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I was going to reply in this vein wcork, but decided against it. But since you've done so, my question to Old Boots was this.

If you won the Lottery would you refrain from leaving your house the next day in case you were struck by a meteorite? 

Depends whether I listen to Alanis Morrissette that night...

• Haha 1

Can Norwich keep Leicester down to 5 goals next Saturday?

Yeah of course we can.....But only if the whole of the Leicester outfield had to play in zorb balls......

From my limited perspective, it seems that we are better playing 'football teams' the Burnley's Palace's and Brighton's bullied us out of results, something we're going to need to contend with if we are to survive. 

11 hours ago, splendidrush said:

From my limited perspective, it seems that we are better playing 'football teams' the Burnley's Palace's and Brighton's bullied us out of results, something we're going to need to contend with if we are to survive. 

Agree 100% - sides that want to play football give us a chance. 

One of the massive ironies this season is that if you ignore the initial 20 or so minutes against Liverpool (which was an understandable case of nerves for most of the team having their first Prem start against the European champions, Hanley wouldn't normally chip the ball into his own net under no pressure) , for the rest of that game we looked better than we have done against most of the bottom end teams we've played.

Not saying we're going to win on Saturday and if Leicester get an early goal it could be a long afternoon.  But we have a better chance than some posters think.

• Like 1