Haven't seen a thread about this, which is a bit surprising considering we're three hours from kick-off!

I think we need to be physically strong, full of stamina and creative too, otherwise we could get swept away. Given it's our third match in eight days, we might need to shake things up a little bit.

I think I'd go with:

Krul
Aarons Godfrey Zimbo Lewis
Tettey Vrancic
Emi Kenny Onel
Pukki

I think that gives the best balance of physicality and craft. Thoughts?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Haven't seen a thread about this, which is a bit surprising considering we're three hours from kick-off!

I think we need to be physically strong, full of stamina and creative too, otherwise we could get swept away. Given it's our third match in eight days, we might need to shake things up a little bit.

I think I'd go with:

Krul
Aarons Godfrey Zimbo Lewis
Tettey Vrancic
Emi Kenny Onel
Pukki

I think that gives the best balance of physicality and craft. Thoughts?

Yes Yes Yes. My teams from another thread a few days ago. Vrancic and Emi have to start.   

I’d go with that too but can’t see Vrancic starting. Hope he gets some considerable minutes today.

2 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

I would swap Buendia with Cantwell but otherwise happy with that. Emi on for the last half hour.

On recent performances I agree, but I think we need fresh legs. Emi will have something to prove, after all.

1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

I would leave  Byram in the team as he's  better st tucking in and defending  crosses than janal imo.

Again, though, three matches in eight days might be pushing it a bit considering he's hardly played this season.

Not convinced by Vrancic. He was sloppy in defence a few times last season which is our big problem this. 

But until we see him at this level we'll never know. If Farke's convinced he'll cut it then he'll be given a chance.

And I trust Daniel's judgement over any of ours.

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

Like that a lot FTW. Vrancic has to play in my mind. I'd swap Lewis for Byram for that extra physicality.

Pace, maybe,  Pantso but Sam Byram is surely the more physically robust,  and I feel , the better defender. 

8 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Again, though, three matches in eight days might be pushing it a bit considering he's hardly played this season.

I was originally happy with either Lewis / Byram and Tettey / Amadou as Farke see's fit.

We need a playmaker like Vrancic - somebody who can quickly turn defence into attack and also shoot from distance (18-25 yards) an play a killer pass to Pukki.

Nothing against Todd but Emi & Vrancic can change a game and are more creative - something we've been sadly lacking imo. 

Edited by Yellow Fever
They both also have something to prove!

Strong physical side today so I would have Vrancic and Stiepermann in today. More physical presence than Emi and Cantwell and free kicks could be vital today and no-one else has the ability that Vrancic has. Width from the two full backs with Onel/Emi/Cantwell as options from the bench

Krul

Aarons Zimbo Godfrey Byram

Tettey Amadou

McLean Stiepermann Vrancic

Pukki

5 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Pace, maybe,  Pantso but Sam Byram is surely the more physically robust,  and I feel , the better defender. 

That's what I meant, Byram should start. Perhaps I didn't say it right. 😉

I can’t see any particular reason to bring Emi or Lewis back - Emi has shown little in the appearances he’s made from the bench (and last Sunday looked as ready to throw his toys around as create something) and may need longer as a ‘super sub’.  It’s also quite intriguing that people are so ready to drop Amadou, surely the anonymous Trybull deserves to be benched far more.

Edited by Branston Pickle

9 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Enjoy the match everyone... I'm off to the pub. OTBC!

Me too. Need to be well oiled for this one...

I want Vrancic on for the set-pieces alone, as nobody else seems capable of taking a decent one but I'm not sure where to play him. I trust Farke.

One thing is for certain, I wouldn't have Trybull in the squad, let alone starting 11. He has been anonymous in the past games,  even when winning. I struggle to see what he offers, he's not physical enough to be a Tettey / Amadou, he's not technical enough to be a Vrancic / Leitner and he's not energetic enough to be a McLean. (I didn't start this statement with the intention of being this harsh).

21 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

That's what I meant, Byram should start. Perhaps I didn't say it right. 😉

Yep, now I've re read it, it is what you said,  it was a bit ambiguous . No worries.👍

Krul

Aarons Godfey Zimbo Byram

Tettey Vrancic

Todd Emi Onel

Teemu

I think MacLean has been our best performer in an advanced position but I think we need to outplay this Blades team. And sitting back doesn't suit him.

I don't think saying we need muscle is going to work We need guile, pace and accurate passing and we can win.

But I think DF's team will be MacLean next to Tettey and Stiepermann instead of Emi. I don't mind but my main hope is to see the back of Zonal at set pieces. The Blades could make hay from that.

Grandadio,............. but my main hope is to see the back of Zonal at set pieces. 

cant see that happening anytime soon. Apparently it's a statistically proven superior method of defending,though I'm not at all sure about it.

It is interesting how zonal marking is blamed a lot when goals are conceded - but ‘normal’ marking has plenty of pitfalls. IMO whichever you use it’s about guys doing their job - the acres of space that Bertrand found himself in in our 6-yard box the other night was disgraceful, he could barely miss.

The team that started the second half at Southampton.  The difference between Amadou and Trybull and Tettey and Stiepermann was night and day.  Tettey was absolutely immense, looked classy, cultured and who said Tettey couldn't pass the ball.  Like a fine wine, Tettey gets better with age.

Quite a few benching Cantwell; after the Goat he seems the most likely to rattle the onion-bag. I wonder will DF try to shoe-horn McLean & Stiepermann in from the start. I'd stick with Byram for the moment too. Buendia, Vrancic, Amadou, Srbeny, Lewis to give options off the bench. Tommy Trybull is a bit of a conundrum, perhaps I'm blind, but maybe I don't see the good things he does. Will Moritz make the bench today? Don't think it'll be today but it would be interesting to see Mario deep alongside Tettey with McLean supporting Pukki. Might be worth a shot, particularly at home. Big game today, at least a draw required for me.

I'm for Vrancic. I assume he's fit enough, match fit enough and a good fit in the current set-up.

Super Mario did as much as any to get us promoted and, as some have said, is the best dead ball purveyor at the club. He deserves his chance, the same as others have had.

Surely  Buendia would be on fire due to his recent admonishment and given the chance to exhibit his arts in front of the faithful.

No sleight on TC, but he does tend to perform in fits and starts, underlining the fact that one so young should be handled with care.

If things do go array I would hope that Farke is as urgent with his use of the substitute bench as he was at Southampton ... he has been somewhat guilty of being nervous in this respect in the past.

I prefer Lewis to Byram  because of the former's attacking attributes. No sleight upon Byram either as such fine choices only go to emphasise just how much improved the squad is from even last season. Our struggles tend to hide this fact.

I just wish Drmic would start to earn his ear/cob of corn sooner rather than later.  

• Like 1

cant see that happening anytime soon. Apparently it's a statistically proven superior method of defending,though I'm not at all sure about it.

That is probably true but for every team that uses it properly there are teams that don't and we are one of those I'm afraid. Especially aerial balls into the box from set pieces.

Just watch their two goals midweek and see where the men who headed the ball started their runs from

4 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

If things do go array I would hope that Farke is as urgent with his use of the substitute bench as he was at Southampton ... he has been somewhat guilty of being nervous in this respect in the past.

That is pretty much my only gripe with Farke. He has done a wonderful job and it's harsh to criticise anything, but in my opinion he takes too long to make a sub if things aren't going our way. I was shocked - in a good way - at the half-time changes he made mid-week.