Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

Ron Saunders R.I.P

Just heard the sad news that Ron Saunders has died. He was the manager when I first started watching Norwich and was of course the first manager to take us up to the top division. A sad loss. 

Great no-nonsense City manager. Will always be remembered as the first one to take us to the top table.

He’d been living with dementia and had recently been living in a home in Sutton Coldfield. Sad so soon after Duncan Forbes’ passing in similar circumstances.

RIP Ron.

Edited by ......and Smith must score.

Another sad loss so soon after Big Dunc. The trouble is as you get older as a fan these events tragically happen to your heroes of yesteryear.

RIP Ron Saunders.

• Like 1

Absolute hero for those of us who thought we'd never play top flight football. So many great memories both football and how he always acknowledged us fans when we saw him away from the club.

Another who spent his last years living with dementia.

4213824_ronsaundersmouseholdheath.thumb.jpg.889d1861261f6b89e9b20607d30937ac.jpg

RIP Ron, will never be forgotten.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

A great Manager for our Club. Mousehold was his favourite training ground.

Sad that the BBC don't even give us a mention in their report.

RIP Ron & thank you.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50701448

Shame he didn’t manage anyone else except Villa according to the BBC. He was a top bloke and did a great job for us. Was the manager the first time I went to CR in 1972. 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

I first saw Ron as a centre forward playing for Charlton Athletic against us at the old Valley. In those days the Robins played in white shirts with red shoulders, white shorts and black socks with red tops. For me he was one of City’s top five managers and took us to the promised land in 1972 and to our first Wembley final in the League Cup against Spurs losing 1-0 to a Ralph Coates goal.

Being in my early teens and standing on the Barclay with the First Division seeming so far away, he made my dreams come true .

So sorry he has

succumbed to the big D, my condolences to his family and friends and am glad that he is now resting in peace.

OTBC

• Like 2

In the beginning there was Ron Saunders.

Anything else that follows is all down to him.

Underrated and undervalued at all of his clubs with whom he had success

• Like 1

Great manager a hero to us who watched him take us to division one for the first time ever ,I will never forget the 1972 season.he had a sense of humour  as well his interviews with Gerry Harrison were comical at times.not loved by all the players as he was straight talking .We had the fittest side in Division two at the time .

Edited by Yellowhammer

Ron Saunders was terrifying! In a post match Villa interview he said: "If that ****ing linesman is on the zebra crossing when I leave here I am going to run him over." 

Ron Saunders and Duncan Forbes. Now those two truly qualify as Norwich City greats. You will be sadly missed but fondly remembered. Thank you both for all the wonderful memories gentlemen. R.I.P.

The first manager to bring success to CR, and much joy to me and all the family, and a Wembley final to boot! Thanks for the memories Ron, RIP.

Legend, brought young players through and spent wisely. Went on to put together Euro Cup winning team for Villa.

Proof of what can be done with hard work, not just spending money.

11 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

In the beginning there was Ron Saunders.

Anything else that follows is all down to him.

Underrated and undervalued at all of his clubs with whom he had success

Everything that has happened since is due to him. The most important person in Norwich City's history. And he created a Villa side that stopped our neighbours winning the League. 

Archie Macauley started the turnaround in the late 1950's which led to a decade and a bit of consolidating in the 2nd Division.

Ron Saunders took the club beyond that and into the 1st Division. The mid 1970's - early 1990's spell which is undoubtedly Norwich City's greatest era he instigated in his spell at the club from 1969-73 and laid the foundations for the club being where it is now!

His later successes at Aston Villa are further proof of how great a manager he was!

14 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Another sad loss so soon after Big Dunc. The trouble is as you get older as a fan these events tragically happen to your heroes of yesteryear.

RIP Ron Saunders.

Yeah, like quite a few others here Ron was in charge when I started going to Carrow Road and those players are sadly coming to the end of their time with us as we all get older. 

7 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Yeah, like quite a few others here Ron was in charge when I started going to Carrow Road and those players are sadly coming to the end of their time with us as we all get older. 

Yes the squad I watched as a teenager was Keelan,Payne black/butlar stringer, Forbes Briggs,Livermore bone,cross Paddon and foggo, with Anderson, Howard and originally Silvester before he got injured. A great team built mostly by Ron saunders ,great days 

• Like 2

Like so many posters here, it was under the Saunders team that I started going to Carrow Road.  That 71 season epitomised everything about his approach. A true legendary character in football. RIP. Very sad news to begin the day.

Bring us 3 points in your memory.