Sign in to follow this  
Yellowhammer

Everton winning

They've just sacked their unpopular manager. Not sure if it is finding form or playing at the true standard.

Everton did a job on Chelsea with their physical approach. We can expect the same tomorrow and we must be up for it. No phaffing around and waiting for the 2nd half before we start to turn up.

With 23 games remaining we are 27-30 points off safety. As we are averaging less than a point per game with the joint second worst defence in the PL it will be remarkable if we stay up. 

Has anyone ever stopped to think about, if physical 'Did A Job On Them' sides are so incredibly successful and effective, why they don't dominate and finish first every year? 🤔

16 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

With 23 games remaining we are 27-30 points off safety. As we are averaging less than a point per game with the joint second worst defence in the PL it will be remarkable if we stay up. 

36 points is often enough to stay up these days, so another 25 points could do it

with 4 points from last 3 games and injured players returning to fitness, surely there is still some hope of staying up?

29 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

We will get better as the season progresses. All it needs is a couple of good results to put us back on track.

Everton 0-2 Norwich

Norwich 2-2 Arsenal

and then...........................................?

56 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

We will get better as the season progresses. All it needs is a couple of good results to put us back on track.

Your insane optimism knows no bounds.

We could just as easily stay as we are or get worse. As a maths wizard you’ll know it’s just one in three chance

19 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Has anyone ever stopped to think about, if physical 'Did A Job On Them' sides are so incredibly successful and effective, why they don't dominate and finish first every year? 🤔

I watched Burnley against Man City on Tuesday.  Unlike against us, they did not seem to 'do a job' on Man City, they hardly tried, rather watched City players passing them around and building up ridiculous amount possession (near 90%). And I wondered why.  Two answers came to my mind: a) they know refs would not let them get away with all the fouling that doing a job involves, b) they are not that desperate as they pick up the points they need from elsewhere, like against us (see a).  

1 hour ago, Mason 47 said:

My theory on this is that against the very best ie Man city, liverpool  etc, the physical  teams are generally outclassed, outthought  and out skilled, leaving them chasing shadows.  Against the likes of us ,, they know that they can get at us unless we are at our very best.  That's why from first whistle  they really try to upset our rhythm,  causing us to make mistakes , which leads to less confidence,  which leads to us being less brave on the ball, therefore giving them even more opportunity  to get at us ....and so on. Until we improve enough  over the next couple of years this will generally be the case.  In the Championship, we were the best ' footballing ' team, able to outplay most of the physical sides. Sheffield  United  meanwhile  have a good combination of footy  and physicality... hence their success so far  this season, how long they can keep it up, I dunno.

I dont want to sound  too 'Cumbrian' 😉, but a very small increase in  the quality  and intensity of our play would see us beat Arsenal,  Chelsea too. We are not really that far off being pretty good indeed,  a bit tighter  at the back  and  a bit more decisive  up front,. Sounds simple  enough,  but not so easy  to consistently  achieve. 

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Like 4

Can’t see Everton owners letting them finish in the bottom 3 Come Jan the cheque books will be out. Watford will get loan players from the London clubs Need 3 points tomorrow 

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Keep your pants dry, we're in the big league now and we deserve to be and we'll be in there with a fighting chance (or doing even better) right to the end of the season.

We don't deserve to be here if we fail to turn up against the likes of Southampton, Watford, Villa, Burnley, WHam etc. These are all games we hoped to get points from.

We have to have to hope we re-find quickly the formula that got us pumped for Everton and Arsenal, and that was so depserately lacking in that first half against Southampton.

We needs points as we're gradually losing distance on those above us. Turn over Sheff U and we're back in the mix 

10 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

We don't deserve to be here if we fail to turn up against the likes of Southampton, Watford, Villa, Burnley, WHam etc. These are all games we hoped to get points from.

We have to have to hope we re-find quickly the formula that got us pumped for Everton and Arsenal, and that was so depserately lacking in that first half against Southampton.

We needs points as we're gradually losing distance on those above us. Turn over Sheff U and we're back in the mix 

Well we do deserve to be here regardless because we won the league below. Short memories or what?

• Thanks 1

I think we deserve to be here is long gone. That was last season. Lets stop talking about last seasons achievements and talk about this season. Do we deserve to be here-Yes, do we deserve to stay here-the table doesn't lie.

But one strong performance, which we've shown we're capable of this season puts us right onto the tails of the others again

This is a moot point, we deserve to be here ( premier) because we won the league last season. We deserve to be here(near the bottom of the league) for various reasons.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

13 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

9 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

Like I said, moot point.

Edited by wcorkcanary

Yes we won the championship last year, so we all agree that gave us a right to be in the PL (some 30,000 fans). But like every other team in the PL they also deserve to be here.

But we're 15 games into this season so we're well past "we deserve to be here". Do you think Watford are saying we don't deserve to be bottom? OR by rights Man C saying we won the league so we don't deserve to lose to Utd. Results determine positions, and we are where we are

Just saying to hogesar we're past whether we deserve to be her.  We're trying to prove to the other teams "we deserve to stay here", that's my point (and for all lasts seasons efforts that doesn't count anymore this season), but another great performance, which we know we're capable of this season, puts us right in the mix.

Is that a fair enough point?

16 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

I dont want to sound  too 'Cumbrian' 😉, but a very small increase in  the quality  and intensity of our play would see us beat Arsenal,  Chelsea too. We are not really that far off being pretty good indeed,  a bit tighter  at the back  and  a bit more decisive  up front,. Sounds simple  enough,  but not so easy  to consistently  achieve. 

We have the ability to achieve this, we just need Emi playing at his best, every game and for at least 60 minutes of every game. Can Farke get him back? 

17 hours ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Your insane optimism knows no bounds.

We could just as easily stay as we are or get worse. As a maths wizard you’ll know it’s just one in three chance

I think it's more likely our results will improve slightly now our injury worries have eased a little. Whether we can improve enough to stay up is debatable, but I'd be surprised if we finished the season below our projected points finish from our games played so far (which would be 28 points).