Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

It's that time of the season....

...to say.....come on!!!!!

Get your mojo's working!!!!  4 points out of 9 in the last three games, a game tomorrow to make that 7 points from 12 if we can, followed by more games in which we will be competitive.  Ups and downs there will be, but there are plenty of reasons to be positive! 

Five fantastic looking games between now and the new year, opportunities to show we are improving still further from the difficult start and those all those injury problems.  And we are improving - yes, the Southampton result was disappointing, but Farke is right, we didn't play with enough belief and agression in the first half - he says we have to be braver - and we were in the second half. 

It is my belief that after we have played every team once this season, we will have a clearer mindset in the second half of the season, players will know more what to expect from all the clubs and that will only help us.  We have had a huge learning curve as a club - barely any experience in the club at this level - that will no longer apply as the season progresses.

The worst thing would be if we give up and think "oh that's it, we're not good enough"..............b*ll*x to that! The season is less than a third gone!

So COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The points required per game is already a mountain to climb staying up simply won’t happen this season

the sooner you accept it the sooner you can be at peace with it 

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

The points required per game is already a mountain to climb staying up simply won’t happen this season

the sooner you accept it the sooner you can be at peace with it 

Posted this on another thread:

If we continue on our current trajectory (0.73 points per game), we'll get to 28 points by the end of the season. To get to 40 points, we'll need to improve that to 1.26 points per game over the remaining 23 games. That's a massive ask, even before you consider the likelihood of other teams strengthening their squads in January.

However, if you look at our last three games since Zimbo came back, we've got 4 from 3 (1.33ppg), including two away games and a game against Arsenal. If we could beat Sheffield United and get a draw against Wolves (assuming a defeat at Leicester), we'd still be on track. If the team that played Everton and Arsenal turns up, rather than the team that turned up last night, it is still doable.

On the balance of probability, though, we're more than likely to go down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 games to go, and I reckon we need another 25-27 points to scrape survival by the skin of our teeth. That's about seven wins and a few draws.

Difficult, and I'd probably say unlikely, but certainly not impossible.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:
2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

The season is less than a third gone!

You sure about that ?

No, I got it wrong. 13 games was roughly the third of the season, but we're only just past that on 15 and so nearly two thirds of the season to go!

38 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

No, I got it wrong. 13 games was roughly the third of the season, but we're only just past that on 15 and so nearly two thirds of the season to go!

You should be chancellor of the exchequer  Lakeyo,  you can massage figures  with the best of them  . I agree that it's not over yet,  but a hell of a lot must improve before we ate ' safe '.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

You should be chancellor of the exchequer  Lakeyo,  you can massage figures  with the best of them  . I agree that it's not over yet,  but a hell of a lot must improve before we ate ' safe '.

Precisely.. not least developing real teeth and a cast-iron stomach

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

23 games to go, and I reckon we need another 25-27 points to scrape survival by the skin of our teeth. That's about seven wins and a few draws.

Difficult, and I'd probably say unlikely, but certainly not impossible.

Well, we're going to get 15 points from winning our last 5 home games, so..............

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Top work Lakey. Fancy a job as my accountant ? 

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

You are Diane Abbott's proofreader and I collect my twelfty pounds.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

I'm with LDC. We will definitely survive as long as the 6 teams above us stop winning games that their not entitled to win

So Everton in the bottom 3 win 3-1 today and are just one of the 6 teams above us!! Get nothing against Sheffield and we look like being cut adrift! 

Why all the angst about relegation? Consider what we know:

our owners are the poorest in the PL in terms of being able to invest in the club.

our owners abhor the influence of money in modern football.

our owners have said on live tv that they will never retire. When they pass on their shares pass, in trust, to nephew Tom.

to succeed in the PL i.e. to become established significant money has to be spent like it or not.

Hence the board’s stated ambition for the club to be in the top 26 of English football - a yo-yo club.

The lack of long term money in large amounts to invest the board has adopted the policy of finding and developing young talent - a policy that makes good sense,

As nothing will change we should accept this is the way it is and enjoy games as an escape from the humdrum of everyday life irrespective of the results or league we find ourselves in.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

So Crafty basically you are saying the current owners will be running the club from their graves?

Now that really would upset  some people. 

Depends on what the terms of the trust are. If they wanted to presumably the owners can stipulate the conditions under which Tom could exercise his majority ownership. Doesn’t mean they will.

3 hours ago, Crafty Canary said:

enjoy games as an escape from the humdrum of everyday life irrespective of the results or league we find ourselves in.

This........... . To the power of ten.  

I'd watch pretty much any football but I love a City game.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Crafty Canary said:

Why all the angst about relegation? Consider what we know:

our owners are the poorest in the PL in terms of being able to invest in the club.

our owners abhor the influence of money in modern football.

our owners have said on live tv that they will never retire. When they pass on their shares pass, in trust, to nephew Tom.

to succeed in the PL i.e. to become established significant money has to be spent like it or not.

Hence the board’s stated ambition for the club to be in the top 26 of English football - a yo-yo club.

The lack of long term money in large amounts to invest the board has adopted the policy of finding and developing young talent - a policy that makes good sense,

As nothing will change we should accept this is the way it is and enjoy games as an escape from the humdrum of everyday life irrespective of the results or league we find ourselves in.

There's nothing to argue with there. At the moment we're at the top of our cycle given how much we can reasonably expect to achieve with the club's current financial structure. If we do stay up this season it will be a remarkable 'against all odds' story, and until we're mathematically down I will enjoy the ride and keep hoping beyond hope. 

For them to forecast just a £16M profit at the end of this season shows why in and out of the Prem every two or three years is the best we can hope for.

Do we want to see us losing 21 games a season just to be at the altar of the EPL? The answer from me is No. Surely the main reason people go to watch is to see the team play well, be the better team and play good football.