Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Nigel Pearson Appointed Watford Manager !

I could have spent many a long hour guessing the new Watford manager . Nigel Pearson would never have entered my head . Wow ! 

Edited by Pockthorpe

Looks as if they're planning on a promotion campaign next season already.

On the other hand, he is seen as having laid the foundations for Leicester's title winning side, maybe they're after that side of him-getting a tight squad together that grows and, ultimately, exceeds expectations. Might be a very canny choice.

I guess it's the traditional Allardyce/Pulis punt by a club in a spot of bother: the no-nonsense British manager who will get the team to roll up their sleeves, fight, be hard to beat and grind out some ugly points. Allardyce and Pulis themselves are getting on a bit and their stock isn't as high as it once was so Pearson is the next cab off the rank. 

On 5Live this afternoon they reckon Steve Walsh and Craig Shakespeare will be joining Pearson at Vicarage Road. Watford are certainly taking a different approach than in recent years.

On 06/12/2019 at 23:19, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I guess it's the traditional Allardyce/Pulis punt by a club in a spot of bother: the no-nonsense British manager who will get the team to roll up their sleeves, fight, be hard to beat and grind out some ugly points. Allardyce and Pulis themselves are getting on a bit and their stock isn't as high as it once was so Pearson is the next cab off the rank. 

Yes, and even if it works in the short-term Watford’s owners will have to do an about-turn to the previous model sooner or later. More chaos and squad upheaval. There is a different way, based around having a genuine sporting director and so a settled style, so no frequent squad upheavals, but I cannot imagine an English club being brave enough to go down that continental path any time soon...