NCFC198

Do you think we will stay up?

2 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

I'm reviewing the situation and I think we'll fill all three relegation spots..

Your struggling to stay positive Nutty whatever spin you try to use.

This must be the most unpredictable PL in years. Apart from Liverpool, any team seems quite capable of beating any other on any given day. If we can stay in touch till Christmas it's still all to play for (as the old cliche goes).

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Ok,can anyone name 3 sides who look inferior to Ourselves ? 

That's the point, none of them have any consistency (apart from Mr. Klopp's team). If we can somehow develop some we're in with a chance.

3 minutes ago, adam72 said:

No you won't. I explained all this to you lot  weeks ago why you won't stay up. You will get the odd cheeky win occasionally, that's football. Ultimately you are doomed.  No point asking the same question in hoping for a different answer. You won't get it. 

i think we explained why you should just **** off & support your own team, you tiresome cvnt.

44 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Your struggling to stay positive Nutty whatever spin you try to use.

No spin. I couldn't have said any more plainly that I'm not throwing the towel in. And I don't see where throwing the towel in fits in with "one city strong".

If you're so sure we wont finish above anyone why not pledge a fiver to Rays Funds for each team that we finish above?

1 hour ago, adam72 said:

No you won't. I explained all this to you lot  weeks ago why you won't stay up. You will get the odd cheeky win occasionally, that's football. Ultimately you are doomed.  No point asking the same question in hoping for a different answer. You won't get it. 

What's it like supporting a club that is nothing without one rich man's fortune? We have our ups and downs but everything we have we've earned honestly on the pitch and training ground. You support a L1 team that happens to have a sugar daddy who has bought his way into the top league temporarily. Much like Bolton/Wigan/Portsmouth etc. Won't be long until Tony Bloom FC has a couple of bad seasons, the money gets pulled and you end up back where a club of your size belongs. 

Enjoy your temporary 'success' finishing 15th in the PL for a few years. It won't last. In a decade or so you'll be back to looking up to a club like us with envy. The sugar daddy who makes you absolutely everything you are will pull the plug eventually and you'll be left with nothing but the soulless husk of a club you are without him.

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

Sadly I can't see it happening. The occasional win interspersed with demoralising losses isn't enough. Grinding out the dirty draws to stay in touch seems beyond this group. The lack of experience/dark arts in the defensive area of the team is proving costly time and again. Krul, Tettey and Pukki have shown the consistency of performance required because they've garnered the 'know-how' over the last 10 years or so. We still don't know our best mix in central midfield (obviously the injury situation up to now was a big factor here) and it looks like we don't have the personnel to compete regularly around the middle. We are a bit too overly reliant on the young full-backs to provide width which is being exploited most weeks. Without the Goat we wouldn't be far off the dismal Derby lowest record points tally. 

Having Zimm available has helped tighten things up a bit but as someone mentioned above, this season looks to be hinging on our options in defensive midfield and the 'number 10/Pukki support' positions. We shouldn't still be so dependent on Tettey if we're serious about staying up. Amadou may yet look the part but we don't possess the time to bed him in. And we still haven't figured out the best option to support Pukki. Stiepermann, McLean, Buendia, Cantwell, Leitner, Drmic, Srbeny? Each have their attributes but are any of them capable/consistent enough to play this fundamental role at this level?

Too leaky in defence (improving somewhat), soft on defensive set-pieces, toothless on offensive set-pieces, a bit too predictable, too easy to press, an average bench, an over-reliance on one player for goals = relegation. Perhaps we are seeing the result of over-achievement last season. 

All that said, beat the Blades this weekend and everything looks rosy again!!! The pendulum keeps swinging! Never mind the danger!

To add to the above, if there is some better luck with CB injuries (i.e, Zimm & Godfrey somehow stay fit for the rest of the season), if Amadou steps up and we find a genuine number 10 with a goal threat to support Pukki, finishing above 3 other teams is still quite possible. A few ifs there, but achievable. Lots of winnable games yet to be played. And losses need to be turned into draws when things aren't quite clicking on a given day. 

7 hours ago, adam72 said:

**** off you sad ****

Edited by JF

8 hours ago, adam72 said:

Can we all agree to just not get annoyed at this virgin?

The guy is either the saddest, loneliest Brighton fan, or a run-of-the-mill troll, which I would also file under sad and lonely. And I can take plenty of comfort from the fact that, whichever of the two this guy is it still renders him completely pathetic.

Try and put yourself in this guy’s shoes, actually dedicating hours and hours of time from your real life as a human being to read this messageboard and post with the sole purpose of pissing everyone off. Imagine getting a kick out of that. It is clear that something big must be missing from his own real-life endeavours.

When I think of it like this, it is very hard to get angry at these people. Even he will probably look back at this when he’s finally gone to Amsterdam or, dare I say it, finally has a girlfriend who isn’t inflatable or a car exhaust, and wonder why he spent so many months wasting his life away for no good reason. 

All the best Adam!

5 hours ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

there is more chance of me spending the rest of my life pleasuring Michelle Keegan than Norwich staying up this season 

I’m sure Til can supply you with some photos 

Brighton lost three of their last five games. Norwich lost three of the last five games. Villa and Everton also.  Not much to choose between any of them.  For worse form, West Ham and  Bn'mth have lost four of their last five games. Watford look down and out.

As for Sheff Utd, their form has started to tail off, not won in the last four games, their bubble may have burst.

The conclusion is that there is everything to play for, so no reason to feel down about our situation. We know what this league is like - about ten clubs are at any time only one or two bad results from dropping down to near the bottom three.  That fact alone will keep us competitive, as long as we pick up the occasional win or draw.

So plenty of time to go and plenty of points to play for and room to improve as the season progresses.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, adam72 said:

Why are you sitting on a Norwich forum? I thought some people on here constantly was sad, but you have no affiliation to be on here. Very strange.

2 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Why are you sitting on a Norwich forum? I thought some people on here constantly was sad, but you have no affiliation to be on here. Very strange.

Especially after just beating Arsenal at the Emirates; why would a Brighton fan's first train-of-thought to be to post on a Norwich forum?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Especially after just beating Arsenal at the Emirates; why would a Brighton fan's first train-of-thought to be to post on a Norwich forum?

I don’t get it? I don’t think I’ve ever cared enough about another club, as to visit their forum (regular). If he’s that bothered, buy a ticket and come to a game!

• Like 1

He's a 15-year-old Norwich fan who's just discovered trolling. Let's hope he grows out of it, unlike some 'adults' on here who should know better...

Farke holds the key to whether we can stay up in that he has to change us from being too predictable.  He deploys a zonal marking system with all 10 outfield players in our box and it frankly doesn't work. Change to man to man marking occasionally, and it gives defenders a chance to win the first ball. Leave someone like Hernandez on the halfway line and they will leave two back to mark him, plus the fact we have an outlet should we win that first header.  

Most teams know by now that we pass the ball out from Krul to a back four player and then across the back four and when pressed  back to Krul, who under pressure has to hastily clear.  I lost count of how many times it went from Krul to Godfrey to Byram who stopped turned around and passed it back to Godfrey and then onto Krul. The opposition know that all they have to do is press us and we end up giving it away. 

When we move the ball forward with pace to our wide players, such as some recent long passes from Zimmermann it immediately allows us to push more players up into the opposition half and put them under pressure.

I still believe he can keep us up, but he has to stop us from being too predictable.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

No spin. I couldn't have said any more plainly that I'm not throwing the towel in. And I don't see where throwing the towel in fits in with "one city strong".

If you're so sure we wont finish above anyone why not pledge a fiver to Rays Funds for each team that we finish above?

My pleasure and I hope I end up owing plenty . 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, hampton canary said:

Farke holds the key to whether we can stay up in that he has to change us from being too predictable.  He deploys a zonal marking system with all 10 outfield players in our box and it frankly doesn't work. Change to man to man marking occasionally, and it gives defenders a chance to win the first ball. Leave someone like Hernandez on the halfway line and they will leave two back to mark him, plus the fact we have an outlet should we win that first header.  

Most teams know by now that we pass the ball out from Krul to a back four player and then across the back four and when pressed  back to Krul, who under pressure has to hastily clear.  I lost count of how many times it went from Krul to Godfrey to Byram who stopped turned around and passed it back to Godfrey and then onto Krul. The opposition know that all they have to do is press us and we end up giving it away. 

Couple of things. I think Farke has been quite open about why he can't change from zonal marking - we simply are constantly outnumbered by teams having taller players than us. The problem with man-marking is we'll always end up with a short guy marking a tall guy as things stand. I understand the frustration though.

Equally with the press, I agree but i'm not sure why we need to change. If anything it's about being more confident in our principles, as Farke has already said. Second half we confidently beat their press a couple of times and it makes the opposition think. First half we didn't do it once and it became too easy for them. 

32 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Couple of things. I think Farke has been quite open about why he can't change from zonal marking - we simply are constantly outnumbered by teams having taller players than us. The problem with man-marking is we'll always end up with a short guy marking a tall guy as things stand. I understand the frustration though.

Equally with the press, I agree but i'm not sure why we need to change. If anything it's about being more confident in our principles, as Farke has already said. Second half we confidently beat their press a couple of times and it makes the opposition think. First half we didn't do it once and it became too easy for them. 

I think we do need to do something to 'mix up' our shorter passing at the back. Right now teams press without fear because they don't need to worry about a longer ball as we don't have the outlet. Even if we generally stick with our approach, being able to play the odd one into the channels for Onel/Pukki may help keep the opposition honest and make them think twice before committing so many to a higher press.

18 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think we do need to do something to 'mix up' our shorter passing at the back. Right now teams press without fear because they don't need to worry about a longer ball as we don't have the outlet. Even if we generally stick with our approach, being able to play the odd one into the channels for Onel/Pukki may help keep the opposition honest and make them think twice before committing so many to a higher press.

Yep, something I think Vrancic could help with but whether he'll get a run in the deep midfield position in the prem remains to be seen.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

This is a very good point. Also agree with Hoggy that Vrancic should give us a better outlet to do that. Good though Leitner is when he's on song, he's still more of a continuity player with his passing, whereas Mario is more direct and incisive. Basically what Shelvey does for Newcastle; he's capable of splitting a defence from 60 yards away, but just as adept at switching the play and moving forward with the ball.

This phenomenon was first seen at Millwall in Farke's first season; tons of possession, but just bullied off the ball and caught cold from set pieces. We really could have benefited from a few more intelligent longer balls at West Ham, Burnley, Brighton and so on.

5 hours ago, lake district canary said:

..............there is everything to play for, so no reason to feel down about our situation. 

I don’t think anyone is, especially on this thread which has been excellent and well thought through.

Most people accept that our current squad isn’t up to Premier League standard and with the prospect of any heavyweight additions in January a faint possibility we’ve just accepted that the chances are that we’ll be back in the Championship next term.

We’re giving it a go and it probably won’t be enough but I certainly wouldn’t say people are feeling particularly down about it.

15 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Most people accept that our current squad isn’t up to Premier League standard and with the prospect of any heavyweight additions in January a faint possibility we’ve just accepted that the chances are that we’ll be back in the Championship next term. We’re giving it a go and it probably won’t be enough but I certainly wouldn’t say people are feeling particularly down about it.

Most people?  I would dispute that, after all, who is to say we can't improve on what we have been doing? Who is to say we can't beat Sheff Utd on Sunday and so have got eight points out of twelve in the last four matches, which would be good premier league form. So to say people have accepted we are not up to it at this stage, with over two thirds of the season to go, is a pretty pessimistic view point and not necessarily true, either. Threre is everything to play for.

3 hours ago, king canary said:

That's what Kenny was so effective against Everton, he game us the long ball option. On Wednesday we resorted to the long ball all the time which made us too predictable again, just for a different reason.

We were simply collectively useless against Soton. first half, & reading Amadou's stats. means he certainly didn't help, but I've seldom seen us so collectively lethargic. Todd, Emi, Sam, Kenny, all looked knackered from the off, Tom & Ben ineffectual.

We simply need to be fired up for Sunday. Let's see if Daniel can inspire some passion & belief.

4 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

We were simply collectively useless against Soton. first half, & reading Amadou's stats. means he certainly didn't help, but I've seldom seen us so collectively lethargic.

I would say we gave it our all against Arsenal whose shackles were temporarily off since Emery's sacking. Norwich also one less recovery day to prepare for the game compared to Soton.

Amadou is still a conundrum for me, as he's consistently inconsistent. Unfortunately I didn't watch the game on Weds and can only go on analysis but my friend who did see it said he was terrible.

Good that Pukki scored again, him finding his shooting boots might mean the difference of drawing / winning a few games and clawing out of this rut.