Sign in to follow this  
Feedthewolf

Genuine question

Which manager/head coach do you think has the best chance of keeping Norwich in the PL this season (assuming the same board/finances/budget, with Webber continuing in his role)?

a) Daniel Farke
b) Other (please specify)

I'm not being contrary here, and it's always a deflating and dispiriting experience being in a relegation battle, but do people think a change of manager would increase or decrease our chances of survival?

Personally, I just can't see how any other manager could come in and take this squad, which is specifically drilled and educated to play this specific style of football, and take it up the table by implementing a completely different style with next to no transfer budget.

If your answer is b) I'm all ears...

It’s obviously a) but hopefully we’ll learn that there is a benefit to trying to get off to a quick start; if others can do it so can we. The first half was extremely ‘ordinary’ from us today.

Depends on if we spend A  has done a good job and is popular with fans but has no experience in premier but  any manager would struggle with the players we have .

A change of manager won't make any difference. As good and exciting as this team is it has the same weaknesses as every other Norwich team I've ever seen. We lack pace, composure, the ability to dribble forwards with pace and organisation on set pieces. We've just been unlucky in that this team has come up against imo the strongest set of PL teams ever. If this team was promoted when Lambers side were in 2011 they would have survived easily,

let's say we sacked Farke and someone brought in Pulis or Allardyce. No amount of coaching is going to make our squad bigger,  stronger, faster or able to out jump and out fight bigger stronger players from opposition teams. We are what we are and no change of coach, tactics or training ground routines will make the slightest bit of difference. 

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

Strange thing is people’s heads are being turned, yet it seems some clubs much bigger than us are hovering, just waiting for the fans to turn.

People say it’s great to see the youngsters, trust me if Alladyce or Pulis was to come in you won’t be seeing much more of them. 

Farke has not failed as part of his remit is to coach and develop players into hot property. His successes to date - Maddison, Godfrey, Aaron’s, Lewis, Zimmerman, McClean, Pukki, Hernandez, Cantwell, Krul. There is no way Farke will be leaving.

• Like 1

A. Without any question for me. People are entitled to a different opinion and pick B, but if they do, they're wrong! 😉

I genuinely think I'd give up following football if we sacked Farke.

• Like 5

Not so much a genuine question but a pointless one.  Who will want to work for the club with no money no one of any calibre that's for sure.  Enjoy Farke while you can doing sterling job with hands tied.

• Like 1

If you don’t spend even a modest amount on new players you hinder your chances greatly. Not Farkes fault at all, he is a victim of the regime. 

• Like 1

There is almost certainly no one better for the job who would come to us, to my mind. I would go further and say that I doubt even a Klopp or Pep would stack up better for saving us from the drop - not that this is their forte.

Farke has done so much good with what little he’s been given (and had taken away), and as you say he has implemented a unique style of play which took about 15 months to materialise. He has bought players which suit the system, and transformed them from nowhere whilst also improving our youth players in a previously unforeseen manner. I genuinely think our season would nosedive without him. 

So Farke IN wherever we finish this season. If it’s a bottom 3 finish, as is looking likely, I would really feel confident in bouncing back up providing our team isn’t completely dismantled and believe we are probably the best equipped side for relegation.

In fairness despite the moaning last night, from myself as well, I think everyone respects and appreciates him for his work thus far. I haven’t seen any calls for him to go, even from the trolls!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

There is almost certainly no one better for the job who would come to us, to my mind. I would go further and say that I doubt even a Klopp or Pep would stack up better for saving us from the drop - not that this is their forte.

Farke has done so much good with what little he’s been given (and had taken away), and as you say he has implemented a unique style of play which took about 15 months to materialise. He has bought players which suit the system, and transformed them from nowhere whilst also improving our youth players in a previously unforeseen manner. I genuinely think our season would nosedive without him. 

So Farke IN wherever we finish this season. If it’s a bottom 3 finish, as is looking likely, I would really feel confident in bouncing back up providing our team isn’t completely dismantled and believe we are probably the best equipped side for relegation.

In fairness despite the moaning last night, from myself as well, I think everyone respects and appreciates him for his work thus far. I haven’t seen any calls for him to go, even from the trolls!

Great post.

10 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Unfortunately the trolls have started.

Happy with Farke.

Ultimately when you look over a big enough timeline there's going to ups and downs. Overall under the conditions he's doing a good job.

Nothing is perfect. The performances against Burnley, Palace, Brighton , West Ham and the first half last night are the most disappointing for me. Id have loved to see us take the game to Southampton the way we did to Liverpool, only this time it would have been against a far inferior team who don't have a front 3 capable of ripping teams apart. 

But ultimately our squad and Farke himself will hopefully grow and learn from these experiences and if that happens then i'll be happy.

Or possibly C, evaluate if he needs help in any areas. I'm thinking particularly around why our performances vary so dramatically, is there a need for more help with mindset?

Farke has both the hardest and easiest job in the Premier League this season. Hardest because I can't think of a single manager in the Premier League in recent years who has been so pitifully backed in the summer transfer window. Easiest in that we could end the season with 20 points and still have people, myself included, arguing that he should stay in the post to lead us through another Championship campaign. 

• Like 1

Even if he drop kicked Delia's Mum, he ain't going anywhere. 

Whatever your thoughts on it, or the reasons for it, it is true he hasn't had the financial backing to improve the squad let alone the team.

He is starting to realise that as nice as it would be, we cannot compete gungho and will adapt, last nigh'ts second half showing proved that. For me, if he stopped zonal marking, I think he can still keep us up.

I think a different manager might sort out some of our issues defensively but probably at the expense of our attacking game so perhaps overall would not improve our chances of staying up. In fact as the squad we have are now suited do/used to playing a certain way I think it could be counter productive. Farke is a good coach and deserves the whole season. If I thought the issues were primarily down to him then it would be different. 

Turn that question on it's head. Would Farke stay if offered another job. Particularly with reports that some German clubs are looking at him. This could be Lambert mark2. When the pathetic Delia doesn't back a good manager with sufficient resources in the premiership. 

I'm not saying Farke should be sacked, far from it, but to suggest he is the only coach capable of keeping us in the PL is a bit ludicrous. We'll likely never know. In a purely hypothetical situation it would be interesting to see what the likes of Wilder, Klopp and Guardiola could achieve with our squad.

Farke has done a fantastic job for us but I have a feeling he may now be on the downward curve in his time here. Nothing is forever and what with Webber going in a couple of years he may feel he's taken NCFC as far as he can in the not to distant future.

I think he deserved more financial backing this season.

• Like 1

This is entirely the wrong question to be asking as the boy Farke did not decide to tie his own hands behind his back. It has been done for him by our pathetic, defeatist Board. As far as our EPL prospects were concerned, they ran up the white flag as soon as the final whistle blew against Blackburn. 

The correct question is thus which new owners should we be having so that these opportunities to establish in the EPL are not so gladly frittered away. We need owners who have some testosterone circulating through their bodies so that we are not pushed around so easily as is so obvious now. Other boards act. We just surrender. 

27 minutes ago, Keith Scott said:

Farke has made a lot of mistakes this season but he isn't the problem. Our tinpot owners are the problem. 

Have you ever done anything to change this perceived problem, other than the odd bit of casual mouth-farting on an internet forum?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Big Vince said:

This is entirely the wrong question to be asking as the boy Farke did not decide to tie his own hands behind his back. It has been done for him by our pathetic, defeatist Board. As far as our EPL prospects were concerned, they ran up the white flag as soon as the final whistle blew against Blackburn. 

The correct question is thus which new owners should we be having so that these opportunities to establish in the EPL are not so gladly frittered away. We need owners who have some testosterone circulating through their bodies so that we are not pushed around so easily as is so obvious now. Other boards act. We just surrender. 

Get off the internet, Mince.

5 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Great post.

Agreed, and crucially Farke is nowhere near to completing what he has begun. Promotion was unexpected in developmental terms but £100m in the bank will surely have made the journey easier. If (when) we get relegated, a couple of sales will enable us to hold on to most of the squad and strengthen where we need to. The plan he signed up to was top 26 consistently and he's on target so far.

47 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Agreed, and crucially Farke is nowhere near to completing what he has begun. Promotion was unexpected in developmental terms but £100m in the bank will surely have made the journey easier. If (when) we get relegated, a couple of sales will enable us to hold on to most of the squad and strengthen where we need to. The plan he signed up to was top 26 consistently and he's on target so far.

We won't hold on to "most of the squad" when we go down. All the youngsters will want to move on to stay in the prem and I suspect Pukki will as well.

The top 26 target is utterly absurd. We are already higher than that so our board, whilst the club are sitting in 18th/19th place in the country have actually set themselves a "target" which includes the possibility of being in a lower division than we are now. Utterly ludicrous. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

We won't hold on to "most of the squad" when we go down. All the youngsters will want to move on to stay in the prem and I suspect Pukki will as well.

The top 26 target is utterly absurd. We are already higher than that so our board, whilst the club are sitting in 18th/19th place in the country have actually set themselves a "target" which includes the possibility of being in a lower division than we are now. Utterly ludicrous. 

It's a perfectly realistic target for a club of our limited financial means, and we're using the right template to achieve it. We simply don't have the finances to gamble on anything more than that. If we do stay up this season (unlikely, but not impossible), we'll be able to turn some additional profit on players and strengthen the squad accordingly for next season.

What do you think would be a reasonable target for the club with its current financial structure?

Unfortunately I think a lot of us were naive in thinking our slick style was ready made for the Prem and Sheffield United's more agricultural style would be found out. The only teams we've bossed have seemed a bit arrogant and not really battled and closed us down. I still think if we can keep our more physical players fit and in form we have a chance. And of course, Farke is still the man and will be even if we go down.

On 04/12/2019 at 22:47, Feedthewolf said:

Which manager/head coach do you think has the best chance of keeping Norwich in the PL this season (assuming the same board/finances/budget, with Webber continuing in his role)?

a) Daniel Farke
b) Other (please specify)

I'm not being contrary here, and it's always a deflating and dispiriting experience being in a relegation battle, but do people think a change of manager would increase or decrease our chances of survival?

Personally, I just can't see how any other manager could come in and take this squad, which is specifically drilled and educated to play this specific style of football, and take it up the table by implementing a completely different style with next to no transfer budget.

If your answer is b) I'm all ears...

Farke, none of this is his fault, he can deal with the tools he has been given