Sign in to follow this  
simmo_2

Farke v Emi

EMI v himself, more like - the guy is a good player but needs to realise a match is 90 minutes long and the idea is to try for the whole time, not just when you feel like it.  When that happens he’ll be a great player.  IMO he deserved to be dropped, probably earlier than he was.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

EMI v himself, more like - the guy is a good player but needs to realise a match is 90 minutes long and the idea is to try for the whole time, not just when you feel like it.  When that happens he’ll be a great player.  IMO he deserved to be dropped, probably earlier than he was.

He has been made a scape goat. 

If he was on the pitch when Watford had 10 men we would have scored at least 1. 

Tonight if he had come on instead of Stieperman we would have not lost.

Just remember QPR last season when he got sent off, everybody left ground as though we had lost. Then we never won many while he was suspended 

3 minutes ago, simmo_2 said:

Just remember QPR last season when he got sent off, everybody left ground as though we had lost. Then we never won many while he was suspended 

Can he play centre back ? Sort that out and we have a chance.

45 minutes ago, simmo_2 said:

If this don’t get resolved soon  we are relegated. 

Congratulations on posting one of most spectacular pieces of bull sh*t ever on this board. You must be very proud. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, simmo_2 said:

Can’t agree with most of that - he was off his game v Watford and there’s little to suggest he’d have scored (though of course we needed two anyway).  He’s undoubtedly a good player but needs to realise what he’s up against in the PL and that they need to give their all if we are to stay up.

Who he should replace if he comes to the pitch?

We need McLean/Stiepi to have some strength in there, without that it is just isolated Pukki. Onel brings variety to the game with his pace. Todd has been in totally different league with Emi this season what comes to work rate and teamplay. 

I agree with others that it is Emi vs Emi case here. He was magical last season, but already then he was error prone. In PL opponents are taking advantage of his errors all the time and as there is less time/space he really cannot find the space to weave his magic. The talent is there for sure, but he needs to take another development step to be able to play on this level with his strengths.

• Like 1

I think he is his own worst enemy, didnt he at one time have a place at Real Madrid academy, or am I confused. There is real talent there, but every player has their  development  limits,  whether its physical,  tactical or,  I suspect  with Emi,  mental. Raw talent, yes, ability to  adapt to instructions and  on the pitch circumstances, I'm not so sure. I  will never scapegoat a player unless I feel he doesn't care or doesn't put in a shift, so cannot blame him as I believe he does care and his occasional petulance is born of frustration that things  are not working out for him on the pitch. We must remember that he was picked up as a gem , performing well in an underperforming team, last season he was generally  outstanding ,playing in a team where everyone was playing with their tails up. This season his opposition  is a class above   last season , his job now us to take this on board and adapt his game to the standards  of those he is up against.  

Edited by wcorkcanary

6 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

We must remember that he was picked up as a gem , performing well in an underperforming team, last season he was generally  outstanding ,playing in a team where everyone was playing with their tails up. This season his opposition  is a class above   last season , his job now us to take this on board and adapt his game to the standards  of those he is up against.  

Exactly this. ^^

And nowhere is this more obvious then when Emi has got the ball somewhere near the edge of our area. Last season we all loved it when he'd skin an opposition player in a defensive position and then set up an attack for us. This season, against better players, he often loses the ball and puts us in a very dangerous situation. We all love Emi, but he has to adapt.

I don't really know why the OP is positing this as a Farke v Emi thing? This isn't the first time Farke has switched the team around based on performances. Stieps? Leitner? Todd? All dropped out to try a different approach at various times this season. It's not like he's dropped him from the match day squad.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Canarywary said:

I don't really know why the OP is positing this as a Farke v Emi thing? This isn't the first time Farke has switched the team around based on performances. Stieps? Leitner? Todd? All dropped out to try a different approach at various times this season. It's not like he's dropped him from the match day squad.

Good first post. After the creative no-show last night, I'd be surprised if either Emi or Vrancic didn't start on Sunday. Emi has been his own worst enemy at times, but I do feel sorry for Mario... he's long overdue a chance.

• Like 3

It is less EMi v Farke than Emi v the fans.

He is a bright spark but fans getting on his back affects every player.  Two into 3 positions does not work,  I dont think we can have a team with Emi & Todd & Onel so one will sit out. Both Todd & Onel did well v Everton & Arsenal but were both too peripheral v Soton and when they did get the ball were poor with it.   

For me he is a better ball player than Kenny or Steipi but playing 3 of 4 from Todd, Emi, Onel & Mario would be too lightweight.

There is a strong chance he will be back come sunday.

Is leitner missing a bigger concern?   Wanting the ball in tight situations and moving its quickly and accurately are what beats the press,  that was missing from yesterdays play - and in these sorts of games his defensive contribution isnt short of what TT or KM brings at CDM.

Judging upon recent displays Emi hasn't shown he should be starting. A lot of urgency but not a lot of end product, despite trying. He is arguably still our most creative player on his day.

Cheers. Yeah, it feels like Vrancic is our last established* player to be given his chance this season. All the other midfielders have been given shots and many have not really stepped up to the plate, so let's see what Mario can do. (I'm discounting that woeful League Cup match!).

*I say established because Roberts hasn't really been given a decent chance either for whatever reason.

It's quite possible they don't get on. I've heard Farke refer to Emi's "South American" personality. 

Just occasionally you have to put up with an individual's weaknesses because of what they bring to the team. Hucks and Wes are good examples of that. At the moment though Emi isn't playing well enough for those weaknesses to be ignored. I've no idea what the guy is like but at a guess I'd suggest he needs telling how good he is 3 times a day. 

Apart from Teemu, who is a one off, Emi is our most gifted player. He does frustrate and annoy, he is petulant and sulks but I would have him in the team any day. I wonder if DF might give him a chance in the "Number 10" role. If anyone can unlock defenders sitting in their own box it is him.

We have to find a way of scoring more regularly. We certainly don't look like doing it from set pieces. Good luck with corners against the Blades or Burnley. Man City have thosein a nd around the box who can do it and I think Emi is very similar.

Keeping him on the bench is a waste IMO.

Krul

Aarons Zimmermann Godfrey Lewis/Byram

Tettey MacLean

Todd Emi Onel

Teemu

Somehow, we need to find a way to support Emi, so that if/when he does lose the ball, we can recover it quickly without being exposed.  With our full backs pushing on so much, this often means Godfrey and Zimmermann are left covering the flanks.  Either that or Byram, Lewis or Aarons need to be more disciplined about when they get forward.

We know Sheff U will push and press all over the pitch on Sunday, so I don't think KG's front three supporting Pukki is going to offer enough to hold the ball up - especially when we are going to be forced into clearing the ball from defence a lot.

I also think Sheff U use tactical fouling to break up play, so we (the players and the crowd) need to be all over the ref to get some yellow cards in early.

12 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Congratulations on posting one of most spectacular pieces of bull sh*t ever on this board. You must be very proud. 

You need to widen your reading. 

Edited by canarydan23

2 hours ago, Woodman said:

Somehow, we need to find a way to support Emi, so that if/when he does lose the ball, we can recover it quickly without being exposed.  With our full backs pushing on so much, this often means Godfrey and Zimmermann are left covering the flanks.  Either that or Byram, Lewis or Aarons need to be more disciplined about when they get forward.

We know Sheff U will push and press all over the pitch on Sunday, so I don't think KG's front three supporting Pukki is going to offer enough to hold the ball up - especially when we are going to be forced into clearing the ball from defence a lot.

I also think Sheff U use tactical fouling to break up play, so we (the players and the crowd) need to be all over the ref to get some yellow cards in early.

“ need to be all over the ref “ no hope there, it’s Simon Hooper 

Stieperman is the one player more than any other who has not made the step up from the Champs. Why on earth he came on and not  

Emi is beyond me. It’s a case of a class player who can see a great pass v one who seems to be lost at this level.

To be fair Emi did make quite a difference ,but came on to late .

Amazed that Steiperman came on at half time instead of Emi. Clearly it was a rare No.2 plan in that we resorted to long balls and needed extra height up front. But it did not work. Emi is taking too much criticism. He is finding marking is tighter in the Premiership and space is limited. He has the overall ability and I think it just needs more time to adjust, plus the rest of the team are largely suffering from the same problems.

17 minutes ago, Bradwell canary said:

Agree Bradwello, because he only had a few minutes to do his thing, I feel he was rushing and forcing things, a couple of nice passes and dribbles but also a couple that immediately led to a counter attack as we had many committed forward in a bid to equalise. Had he got a full half hour, or even come on after Pukkis goal, it would have added to the wobbly feeling that Southampton would have had. Instead they were able to make their subs to strengthen defensively before he was introduced, thus helping to negate his impact.

Emi needs a try behind Pukki, he's a creative gem. The cabeza caliente is part and parcel which needs nurturing not knocking out of him, it's in the Argentine dna. 

Emi has arguably made fewer mistakes than Cantwell but Todd makes up for it with goals and better attacking play. I don't know why Emi plays so deep at times, whether under instruction from Farke or because he likes to play there. 

7 hours ago, Bradwell canary said:

Stieperman is the one player more than any other who has not made the step up from the Champs. Why on earth he came on and not  

Emi is beyond me. It’s a case of a class player who can see a great pass v one who seems to be lost at this level.

The thing is though we looked a lot better when Steiperman and Tettey came on as it gave us the required physicality, stopped us been bullied and of course led to us pulling a goal back, I am not sure bringing Emi on at that stage would have had the desired effect, and it was better to bring him on when the game was a bit more stretched and we were on top.......

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Chumino said:

Emi needs a try behind Pukki, he's a creative gem. The cabeza caliente is part and parcel which needs nurturing not knocking out of him, it's in the Argentine dna. 

I'm sure they're trying to nurture it! Farke has spoken of his admiration for César Luis Menotti in the past, so I'm sure he's acutely aware of the Argentine footballing mentality. I thoroughly recommend Jonathan Wilson's Angels With Dirty Faces: The Footballing History Of Argentina - one of the best football books I've read in recent years. Emi is the definition of the pibe, and you're right that you don't just knock that out of someone. Very interested to see if Farke can coach him round or whether his hot head proves too hot to handle!

Edited by Feedthewolf

11 hours ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

The thing is though we looked a lot better when Steiperman and Tettey came on as it gave us the required physicality, stopped us been bullied and of course led to us pulling a goal back, I am not sure bringing Emi on at that stage would have had the desired effect, and it was better to bring him on when the game was a bit more stretched and we were on top.......

Yeah but Stiepermann had a few poor games in a run and people have ruled him out completely. Look at the match thread when Tettey and Steipermann came on yet they were two of our better players in that game.

Tettey yes, he improved that area of the pitch completely. Amadou was a bit if a headless chicken first half.

I'm not convinced about Stiepermann. He brings a bit more physicality but slows it down somewhat. I think he is more suited to the Championship we we had better players than our opponents. But the EPL is a lot harder and I think Emi needs to be able to shine and show the league what he can do.

Yes we might be purely a "football" three with Onel and Todd either side of him but I think it is clear we aren't going to win any bully boy battles anyway.