lappinitup

*****Official match thread v Saints*****

4 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

It's not about lumping it up there. It's about urgency.

Last 5 minutes we had plenty of opportunities to get a cross in from good positions but it just kept going backwards, sideways, forwards (repeat ad infinitum)

You cannot afford to wait for the perfect opportunity. Sometimes you just have to gert it in there asap.

We tried that several times. It just came straight back out.

Guile is the only way through packed, well drilled defences. Our best chance came when Onel (who finally woke up) wrong footed the defence & cut back to Byram. Who should have scored. But didn't.

Have to say very disappointed with the first half. Much better 2nd half Tetts was immense. Emi,  I felt was trying to rush it, too often trying to pass too directly forward to heavily marked men , or a one two through a wall of defenders. But there again  ,Southampton  were defending en masse by that point . Another  game soon   thank ****.

Strong side Sheff Utd.....I for one am slightly worried about Sunday......It'll be quite physical and Wilder's side won't take no prisoners.....

We need a big powerful centre half that can win the ball in the air. Godfrey I am afraid cost us tonight by not winning 2 defensive headers you would expect a centre half to win.

22 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

What one-eyed garbage. He's been the only recognised centre back for the majority of the season, with barely 12 months of first-team experience under his belt. He's already captained England U21s, and has all the technical abilities of a top modern centre-half. What more do you want from a young NCFC player, seriously? Flawless world-class performances week-in week-out?

So you wouldn't take £25m for him then? I agree with all that you say but I'd take issue with "all" the technical issues - he is frequently out of position and tonight both goals were the result of him missing his header. I get that he's still learning and that he should be cut some slack occasionally, and that he's English and therefore apparently doesn't have to be that good to be rated as outstanding, but £25m? Not only will I drive him, I'll buy him a Burger King on the way.

1 minute ago, Well b back said:

We need a big powerful centre half that can win the ball in the air. Godfrey I am afraid cost us tonight by not winning 2 defensive headers you would expect a centre half to win.

Careful - the forum police will be after you; not allowed to criticise our "young" players (who aren't actually that young, but don't let the facts get in the way of a good theory).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I think that the reason for this is that if you just 'lump it up there', Southampton are poised and ready to counter-attack. They had Redmond and Adams on the pitch for precisely that reason. If you stay patient and keep the ball in their half, the pressure mounts and they sit deeper. You could see them getting drawn deeper and deeper, and hear the restlessness in the crowd.

The way I see it, we would still be scrabbling around in the Championship if we didn't have Farkeball, so I'm prepared to take these results on the chin and let him learn on the job. He did a pretty good job of learning from his first season in the Championship, and if we can somehow stay up this season then I'd expect us to be much more competitive next. And if we do go down, at least we know he knows how to succeed in the Championship.

Not sure if you read my post correctly? I wasn’t advocating we lump it up there, I like us probing in the way we do. The kind of build up play which led to Godfrey’s late winner vs Reading and Pukki’s vs Millwall last season. I just don’t understand why we were trying to play this way tonight but without any tempo or urgency! It needs to be more aggressive to open teams up. 

I completely agree RE your stance on Farke by the way. I would happily have him stay for another crack at the champs next season even if we finish 20th. I am just frustrated that we don’t seem to be able to consistently play to the level that we have proven to be capable of on numerous occasions this season.

32 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Can we kill the grey shirts now ... ? Forever yellow and green. 

This I totally agree with. If last year we painted the away dressing room pink to make them play like fairies then a grey strip is just depressing.... and so is our football. Fine margins yes but dump it we must. We played better in bright red!

What is frustrating is it all feels like it could’ve such a waste. These teams we are losing to are not better than us or indeed nor do most of them look any good but we are just gifting them pints through errors, naivity or just not turning up like tonight. That’s hard to take when you know they can do it and also  when you know this side will get broken up when we go down. It just feels like a massive wasted opportunity again. 

13 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

The guy is a Binner . Just ignore him. Waste of carbon. 

Fair enough GPD but rather sad a Norwich fan gave his post a ' Like '.

Still not sure why there is so much negativity. Disappointment, yes, we could have been better, but it was not a disgrace and we could easily have equalised.  So Southampton outplayed us for twenty five minutes in the first half, but we were better in the first twenty minutes and in the second half.

Strange performance in some ways, Hernandez was very quiet most of the game, we seemed to get bogged down a lot on the right hand side - maybe inexperience at play here, allowing Southampton to box our players in, but we did look a little slow in moving the ball around at times. 

Overall though, we take the medicine and move on.  Any team in this division will hurt you if you are not right on it and we weren't tonight.

42 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

You could always log out and join another forum.

He's just squeezed a log out into his potty......

6 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Careful - the forum police will be after you; not allowed to criticise our "young" players (who aren't actually that young, but don't let the facts get in the way of a good theory).

Can’t remember how you spell his name but we need a Hoof ( him who went to Leicester ) a down to earth win everything experienced centre back. If that was Hanley tonight he would have been crucified. Our kids are great and will probably all become players in the higher reaches of the EPL, but we need some experience. But of course the other argument is if they don’t play they are worthless.

Please don’t look at this as being negative I just feel take the cash for a couple of them and add experience to keep us up.

A rare occasion we have 2 games in a week and the players look lethargic and tired. Massive improvement required for the Blades. Lose that and there will be some unhappy bunnies.

23 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Not sure if you read my post correctly? I wasn’t advocating we lump it up there, I like us probing in the way we do. The kind of build up play which led to Godfrey’s late winner vs Reading and Pukki’s vs Millwall last season. I just don’t understand why we were trying to play this way tonight but without any tempo or urgency! It needs to be more aggressive to open teams up. 

I completely agree RE your stance on Farke by the way. I would happily have him stay for another crack at the champs next season even if we finish 20th. I am just frustrated that we don’t seem to be able to consistently play to the level that we have proven to be capable of on numerous occasions this season.

Yep, I hear you. Making Plans made a similar point and I responded to that one. Increased tempo = increased risk = increased chance of being caught on the counter... it's all about balance, risk and reward. I sometimes find myself getting frustrated with the slow pace when I'm watching, but fitness levels and stamina over 90 minutes are very delicately balanced. No one can play aggressively for 90 minutes, not even Barca. You have to pace yourself, and I try to be mindful of that when I'm watching. Very difficult to do when you're a passionate, emotional animal with a few drinks in you, though! 😉

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

A rare occasion we have 2 games in a week and the players look lethargic and tired. Massive improvement required for the Blades. Lose that and there will be some unhappy bunnies.

Thanks for the heads-up. Everyone seems so serene and blissed-out tonight...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Strong side Sheff Utd.....I for one am slightly worried about Sunday......It'll be quite physical and Wilder's side won't take no prisoners.....

So, they will take some prisoners  then?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Making Plans said:

It's not about lumping it up there. It's about urgency.

Last 5 minutes we had plenty of opportunities to get a cross in from good positions but it just kept going backwards, sideways, forwards (repeat ad infinitum)

You cannot afford to wait for the perfect opportunity. Sometimes you just have to gert it in there asap.

You're right, but we don't have the players to do anything else. We either slip someone in with a clever through ball or cut back or we lose possession. As we commit so many men forwards to provide passing options losing possession that high up can be catastrophic with our weaknesses and how most teams in this league focus on counter attacking. Pukki/Cantwell/Buendia/McLean/Hernandez etc aren't going to win anything put into the box and we have no one with a good long shot to take advantage of second balls.

You're correct in what you say in that we need to be less one dimensional, but we simply don't have the players to do that imo. Not without leaving ourselves exposed for a small chance to pick up a lucky ricochet or second ball. I don't have the solution, with our players I can't see any , but forcing things forwards into the box isn't it imo. 

I am not sure we need a change of personnel just the way they defend. Watch their second goal. Shane Long is way behind our three marking the 6 yard line. He then makes a run alongside and eventually in front of them and doesn't have to outjump them, he gets to it first.

I know zonal marking is popular, especially in europe, but I don't think it suits us at all. We need to man for man mark at set pieces for a change and see what happens. In this aspect, I think DF is being stubborn.

The "second ball" at set pieces is also as much of an issue for me as the initial marking. A lot of the goals we concede are not direct from the first header but like the second last night or from a rebound and we seem to often have almighty scrambles in our box where the ball could end up anywhere.

I have always though and continue to think that part of the problem is that we have too many players back in our own box getting in each other's way at times when we defend set peices. We often have all 11 in our own area and indeed all between the penalty spot and the goal. This also means the opposition can flood the box as well, because they don't have to leave more than 1 player back to cover with the result being a packed penalty area and I think sometimes people not taking responsibility or leaving it to other people.

As well as less of the zonal cr*p I therefore also think it would be a lot less chaotic and players would perhaps have a bit more clarity as to their role if we left a couple of players further up the pitch as well as having someone at the top of the area.

The first half we were awful, We could not pass the ball to each other and kept giving it away, Farke was not happy, having a right go from the touch line. Having said that, it would have been 0-0 If we could defend Set-pieces which was are downfall.

We were better in the second half but it was too late. I hate it, when going to this type of match, it's so frustrating and makes a for a sombre drive home (the fog didn't help either )

Worth noting Ings is a quality CF when fit too, and will cause better teams than us problems (and already has done).

I know we lost so this forum is full of exaggerating nonsense about how we're already down, Farke isn't "fired up enough" (whatever that is) and our lack of investment means we won't be Champions League for the next 10 years, as is always the case when we lose.

Sheffield United will be a really tough game but 3 points and some of the same posters will completely swing again. Lose and I think Archant may need to invest in a web-server that can handle more traffic.. 

Most of us would have taken 4 points from Arsenal H and Everton/ Southampton A at the start of the season. Subjectively it isn't that simple, but objectively you can say our points haul from the last 3 is alright.

Last night was disappointing on many levels; watching Shame Long take our entire team out of play with a running jump, for example, is borderline criminal at this level. But we move onto Sunday, and I believe Farke will pay Sheff U enough respect to set up like we do against the bigger sides- usually, this brings better performances.

Trying to find the original post from Havefaith which somebody tragically ' Liked ' but it appears to have gone. Maybe Peter The Deleter has been at work ?

8 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Trying to find the original post from Havefaith which somebody tragically ' Liked ' but it appears to have gone. Maybe Peter The Deleter has been at work ?

You seem to have more of an issue with who liked it as opposed to the post itself.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hillhead said:

You seem to have more of an issue with who liked it as opposed to the post itself.

I was looking for it just to see if it had attracted any further reactions. I did express my issue with the original post if you check back as Havefaith managed to use the expressions Turds, w+nkers and morons in just two posts last night.

33 minutes ago, Hillhead said:

Guessing it's cos it was me (maybe, don't even remember)? Did you know Til, if you desperately want my attention, you can use the @hogesar tag to get it 😉

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Guessing it's cos it was me (maybe, don't even remember)? Did you know Til, if you desperately want my attention, you can use the @hogesar tag to get it 😉

I was looking for it just to see if it had attracted any further reactions. I did express my issue with the original post if you check back as Havefaith managed to use the expressions Turds, w+nkers and morons in just two posts last night. 

Why on earth would you side with an idiot using such language about posters on this forum unless of course you agree with him hoggy ?