lappinitup

*****Official match thread v Saints*****

Buendia must start next game as I see at least  3 changes with Jamal and Alex also must be added.

Godfrey was shocking Today  too 😕

Just now, Making Plans said:

With Everton, Watford and Villa all losing this was our chance to make ground.

We blew it, big time

Or we're all still in the mix with 23 games to play. 

We did look tired. I guess Southampton had the extra day? Looked like it.

Wouldnt be surprised to see EMI back in. Possibly Stieps too.

1 minute ago, Havefaith said:

Some of you should be jumping off cliffs, you evidently have no balls for life. 

What a bunch of morons. 

We nearly got a point. 

We played better in the second half. 

You can't win every game. 

To see people even questioning Farke staying is beyond pathetic. 

This forum is polluted by the most negative, reactionary set of armchair w*ankers I've ever seen on a club forum. 

You could always log out and join another forum.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Making Plans said:

Even after we scored there wasn't enough urgency.

Even in the last 10 minutes we were still p*ssing about with it.

It was a walk in the park for Southampton

I agree 100%. We move the ball so slowly and then try and walk it in. The sad thing is if we were a bit more positive we could have got a result. I lost count of how many times we passed sideways or backwards. I can only guess that Farke told Byram don't try and pass the ball forward. All they had to do was press us and we would give the ball away. So disappointing but that is the way Farke likes to play. 

1 minute ago, Boris said:

Buendia must start next game as I see at least  3 changes with Jamal and Alex also must be added.

Godfrey was shocking Today  too 😕

All Emi does is run into trouble. Mario is more experienced, calm and creative. We needed to rest players today after the magnificent effort on Sunday.

I can accept a lack of quality... if we turn out to not be good enough, then fair enough and unsurprising given our outlay on transfers

.....what I can't accept is the defending of set pieces the way that we are.

That's one thing that can be drilled and our lack of organization in defending corners and free kicks is inexcusable, whoever is coaching them for these needs showing the door....

2 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Manager to blame. Wrong team. Same mistake he made against Burnley after we'd beaten City. Alex Neill admitted his responsibility for showing too much loyalty and Farke is doing the same thing. Southampton brought Shane Long in to help keep up that press and we had no clue.

And if Godfrey is really getting offers of £25m I'll drive him to Spurs.

What one-eyed garbage. He's been the only recognised centre back for the majority of the season, with barely 12 months of first-team experience under his belt. He's already captained England U21s, and has all the technical abilities of a top modern centre-half. What more do you want from a young NCFC player, seriously? Flawless world-class performances week-in week-out?

• Like 2

Just now, Fuzzar said:

Or we're all still in the mix with 23 games to play. 

Maybe so but that is two 6 pointers where we haven't turned up. Life gets a lot easier if you beat the teams below, or just above you.

No use in playing great against Arsenal and taking 2 points away from them if you can't back it up and get something from a relegation rival.

• Like 3

Even after we scored there wasn't enough urgency.

Even in the last 10 minutes we were still p*ssing about with it.

It was a walk in the park for Southampton

Agreed, we were playing like we still had another half of football to play after Pukki’s goal. I understand playing our philosophy and trying to play out from the back rather than lumping it up there, but why can’t we play our way with a bit more urgency and tempo. Why is it so sluggish? We work an opening and then dally on the ball and give the opposition all the ground they need back to recover. I don’t understand. Especially in the last 10 mins.

This seems to be the sticking point between our strong attacking performances and our toothless attacking performances so far this seasons. 

There were more than a few shades of Farke’s first season with us in that first half and in other games this campaign. 

I just don’t understand how we can be so inconsistent with this, our performances have been chalk and cheese. I thought we were woeful first half v Arsenal other than the two breakaway goals, yet completely dominated the second half. Absolutely superb against Newcastle / Man City and then completely pathetic against Burnley / West Ham / Brighton. How can our performances fluctuate so much? What’s going on with this?

I think during the latter stages of the game, the camera panning to the onlooking faces of our two majority shareholders summed us up....."The Glums"......

2 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

Maybe so but that is two 6 pointers where we haven't turned up. Life gets a lot easier if you beat the teams below, or just above you.

No use in playing great against Arsenal and taking 2 points away from them if you can't back it up and get something from a relegation rival.

It doesn't matter how we get to 40 points, as long as we get there. Not suggesting we look on course to do so at the moment, but there have been teams who have stayed up by virtue of performing better against the 'bigger' teams. If we win on Sunday we'll be back in the mix again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

It doesn't matter how we get to 40 points, as long as we get there. Not suggesting we look on course to do so at the moment, but there have been teams who have stayed up by virtue of performing better against the 'bigger' teams. If we win on Sunday we'll be back in the mix again.

Thats a huge big if , but you never know i suppose . 

3 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Agreed, we were playing like we still had another half of football to play after Pukki’s goal. I understand playing our philosophy and trying to play out from the back rather than lumping it up there, but why can’t we play our way with a bit more urgency and tempo. Why is it so sluggish? We work an opening and then dally on the ball and give the opposition all the ground they need back to recover. I don’t understand. Especially in the last 10 mins.

I think that the reason for this is that if you just 'lump it up there', Southampton are poised and ready to counter-attack. They had Redmond and Adams on the pitch for precisely that reason. If you stay patient and keep the ball in their half, the pressure mounts and they sit deeper. You could see them getting drawn deeper and deeper, and hear the restlessness in the crowd.

The way I see it, we would still be scrabbling around in the Championship if we didn't have Farkeball, so I'm prepared to take these results on the chin and let him learn on the job. He did a pretty good job of learning from his first season in the Championship, and if we can somehow stay up this season then I'd expect us to be much more competitive next. And if we do go down, at least we know he knows how to succeed in the Championship.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Havefaith said:

We nearly got a point. 

I nearly won the Euromillions last night. I was only 5 Numbers and 2 Lucky Stars out

A

• Haha 1

Zonal marking doesn't work for us as they all get in each others way and fail to pick up any runner. Just for once I would love to see Farke try leaving 1/2 players on the halfway line, at least for corners. Really disappointed tonight as I think we gifted Southampton those 3 points. Will need to play better on Sat against Shef Utd as they are the masters of closing the opposition down.

Byram, Amadou, & Onel - a real surprise this one - were particularly poor I thought. They looked tired & had no serious attempts at moving play forward. I've never seen Tim having to hoof it quite so much before. Ibrahim kept dropping into CB for some reason

No creativity throughout the team - first half. It was amazing how things improved right from the 2nd half kick-off. Alex simply drove the midfield forward in a far more positive way than Amadou; I think his positional awareness, power & experience are irreplaceable at the moment. It's going to be a helluva job replacing him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I think that the reason for this is that if you just 'lump it up there',

It's not about lumping it up there. It's about urgency.

Last 5 minutes we had plenty of opportunities to get a cross in from good positions but it just kept going backwards, sideways, forwards (repeat ad infinitum)

You cannot afford to wait for the perfect opportunity. Sometimes you just have to gert it in there asap.

Edited by Making Plans

5 minutes ago, Dame to Blame said:

Thats a huge big if , but you never know i suppose . 

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that we can win a home game against a team who finished below us in the Championship last season. I just think it's really important not to see results in isolation. After the Villa game and after the Watford game I was much more concerned than I am now. We have an extra day's rest than Sheffield United, and there's no reason why we can't play on the front foot and win.

Should we lose on Sunday, I'll be seriously concerned again considering we've got Leicester, Wolves, Villa and Spurs in our next four after that.

That for me is right up there in terms of disappointing performances in recent times. Not necessarily worst but just desperately disappointing given the context of the game.

i thought Southampton looked crap and yet we just gifted them three points just as we did with Villa, Palsce, Burnley, Brighton and Watford. Aside from perhaps Villa, none of these teams have had to play well to beat us and the reason it’s so disappointing is that we know and have seen how we are capable of so much more. As we in fact saw towards the end but it was too little, too late and in truth just made it more frustrating. 

its all very well turning it on on tv against Arsenal, Man City or Chelsea but it’s the games against your relegation rivals and the mid table teams you really have to win.  I’m unconvinced that Farke’s calm “it’s just another game” attitude is quite right for these sorts of clashes. The savvy “lower half” prem teams know these are the games you have to target and win if you want to stay up. We just seem to lose them abs shrug our shoulders whilst banging on about togetherness. 

It's not about lumping it up there. It's about urgency.

Last 5 minutes we had plenty of opportunities to get a cross in but it just kept going backwards, sideways, forwards (repeat ad infinitum)

You cannot afford to wait for the perfect opportunity. Sometimes you just have to gert it in there asap.

Yeah okay, fair comment. Truth is probably somewhere in the middle ground, as with everything. I want us to stick to our principles - as I'm sure you do - but sometimes we do tend to overplay a little bit. As long as you're not advocating we tear up our coaching manual and 'lump it up to Srbeny' I'm happy 🙂

So far since the final whistle Havefaith has called posters morons, w+nkers and on another thread turds. Good skills but hey somebody gave your classy post a ' Like '.

In hindsight, the team selection was wrong. The midfield looked tired and it wasn’t until the fresh legs came on did we look like doing anything.

Farke has to learn to use his squad better. He even says in his interviews about players being tired and needing rest but then plays the same 11 again. Southampton has an extra days rest and it showed, they were first to everything and had the energy to press us.

At this level, you need to utilise the squad as the physical impact on the players in huge. There’s no merit in so many of our squad having had so little game time this season. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Beating Sheff Utd would be a massive massive win, they have barely lost away this season.

4 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

So far since the final whistle Havefaith has called posters morons, w+nkers and on another thread turds. Good skills but hey somebody gave your classy post a ' Like '.

The guy is a Binner . Just ignore him. Waste of carbon.