1 minute ago, king canary said:

Jose has a god awful track record of developing young players though- it is a reasonable thing to consider.

I don't think any young player being linked to a club the size of Tottenham from a club our size looks at Jose Mourinho and goes "Nah, i'll stay at Norwich. Mourinho sucks".

Just now, hogesar said:

I don't think any young player being linked to a club the size of Tottenham from a club our size looks at Jose Mourinho and goes "Nah, i'll stay at Norwich. Mourinho sucks".

No but you might think twice about jumping at it straight away, especially if you think you might have other offers.

You're right he may get his head turned in January- he may also think it best to wait until the summer where he may have more options to choose from. He's good enough that it could be a choice between Spurs, United and City in the summer.

7 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Well I guess he'd want to join Jose because he's one of the best managers in the world, and for the opportunity to win trophies, and play in elite competitions, and play alongside and against the worlds best players. etc etc

I'd suggest he'd train along side the best not "play" .. which is exactly my point - before being sent out on loan to a championship side. 

only going on his past record. seriously think Man Utd, Liverpool or Chelsea would be a better option for any young player

59 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

Pretty sure Premiership clubs can't sign someone and loan them to another Premiership club in the same window now.

Hadn’t seen that - if true (and with no wiggle room) then hugely unlikely we’ll be selling anyone of note, unless for ridiculous money.  Far more likely to happen in the summer.

We also need to seriously think about our home grown situation in case we are relegated this season. i wouldn't want us to sell any Home grown qualified players in January. If people are sold let it at least be over the summer and in championship then  Farke has a pre-season to test out academy products and go to market if need's be.

If Ben is going anywhere it'll be for at least 20-25 million. The fact it would be January means you can add another 5 or 6; I think we can all be honest that Godfrey is not yet a £30 million player.

As such I think he will be with us until at least the summer.

He will be taking a step up at some stage,  the question is when and for how much,   but it wont happen without some incoming replacements.

The summer seems most likely - but £30m+ now would test our resolve. 

He is still learning and alongside a player like Zimmermann, he will benefit more from staying at Norwich. The experience of a whole season at the top level is bound to be better for him than moving half way through a season sitting on a bench somewhere. So if a top club is going to try and get him, they would be better to wait until the Summer and they would get a more experienced player. That said, if we do well this season and move up the table and stay in the PL, we may be able to hang on to him next season as well. 

The model needs high attention sales of nurtured young talent. We offer the pathway, they outgrow us, we grow off the back of the funds, other quality young players are attracted, the quality of the young players attracted increases...ad infinitum.

De-facto It is therefore actually important for the model that we ‘publicly lose’ good young players like this sometimes.

Parma

• Like 1

Would there not be benefit in training with better players and under better coaches? 

If they really want him it'll happen. And his people will know if the other big clubs are interested or not. If they advise him Spurs want him right now, they might not wait and there's no firm interest elsewhere then surely he's a goner. Only ifs though.

2 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

As much as I wouldn’t want him to leave we have to take a good offer while it’s there. It’s ok to say he could be worth more in a years time but he could lose form or get a bad injury in which case that offer won’t come along again.

No we don't. Any bearing in mind what Webster went from Bristol City to Brighton for i'm not sure £25m is that good an offer anyway.

If he;s worth £25m now he will still be at the end of the season, possibly more if he keeps improving as he has done since Zimbo came back. Ok yes if he got a serious injury then we may not be able to sell him then but the chances of that happening are very slim.

Selling any of our young players in January will send out an absolutely terrible message and more than that we have to think about the knock on effect. These kids are supposedly close. They like playing with each other in the premier league. once one goes their heads will all be turned. We therefore need to think very carefully about when we agree to sell the first of them.

16 minutes ago, GJP said:

Would there not be benefit in training with better players and under better coaches? 

If they really want him it'll happen. And his people will know if the other big clubs are interested or not. If they advise him Spurs want him right now, they might not wait and there's no firm interest elsewhere then surely he's a goner. Only ifs though.

our biggest area of weakness will be the wages. Although we don't need to sell in terms of the club needing the transfer fee, we can't get anywhere near matching the wages of pretty much any other premier league club. Long term, even if we stay up that's going to be a big issue when it comes to retaining players whose heads will doubtless be turned by the prospect of a 400% increase in their wages!

Jose has other things on his mind needs to get experienced defenders to sign up Vertonghen and Alderwereld.  And paying £30m foe player with 6 months PL experience in replacement of the above doesn't make sense.  Ben although very good for us still raw and not the finished article.  But if true the rumours will unsettle Ben and selling him makes the best option for City unless Ben agrees to see out a relegation fight a seemingly unlikely scenario.  Move next summer when City may have been relegated more likely.

I am 100% certain Godfrey won't be here next season- we already saw with Jacob Murphy that Ferdinand and his agency are pretty proactive about getting players like this moves. I just don't think it'll be sensible for us to sell in January, nor do I think Godfrey will be impatient enough to force a move through at this point in his career.

5 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Norwich won’t sell any player regardless of any big bids. When was the last time we were tempted to cash in quickly ? 

I'm assuming sarcasm but...Jacob Murphy? James Maddison?

Spurs have a more than useful youngster of their own for the centre back position in Cameron Carter Vickers.

I know of him as he was at the @Loo for a while and was a big hit with the binners to the extent that I had hoped we would go for him at some point.

He is 21 and currently on loan at Stoke  ... the mind boggles.

Perhaps we could have him, the £30m fee and a hundred or so add-ons.

Just a thought.

Edited by BroadstairsR

31 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'm assuming sarcasm but...Jacob Murphy? James Maddison?

You could add Pritchard I guess but other than those 3 players when was the last time Norwich City were tempted to cash in ? 

£25m for Ben! If they open the window at White Hart Lane they should just about be able to hear the faint sound of laughter from Carrow Road. Manchester United and Liverpool have raised the bar for centre halfs. He is worth £40m as things stand. Personally I wouldn't swap him for Harry Maguire who is 5 years older and cost £80m.

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

You could add Pritchard I guess but other than those 3 players when was the last time Norwich City were tempted to cash in ? 

This is feeling a bit 'what did the Romans do for us?' now.

We've generally generated good prices for people we've sold but we're usually pretty happy to cash in.

5 hours ago, The Great Drinkell said:

Why would Ben or any young player want to join Jose - look what he did to Luke Shaw and the team he managed at Chelsea. If I was advising Godfrey ( which I'm not)  I'd tell him to keep his head down carry on at Carrow road for this season and then see what happens from there. - he won't get this experience in the Spurs squad.

And your conversation would go Ben, you are on £10,000 a week with a Relegation clause ( guess work at salary ), Spurs and Man Utd both want to sign you and they are offering you £30,000 per week. They have no worries of Relegation and by the way you may get to play champions league football. When you play it will be in front of 60 - 80,000 people. It will be a five year contract and set you up for life, who knows you could maybe get injured next week. Your choice of club would be Spurs or Man Utd, but I advise you to stay at Norwich as they looked after you and of course you will get a game every week, unless they sign somebody who proves to be better than you.

There is no way he is worth more than Maddison but in the crazy January world of transfers silly offers are made. Our kids are made at Carrow Road to sell for mega money. The replacement if an experienced EPL or International centre half is likely to cost a 1/3 of the price and will be just as likely ( if not more likely ) to keep us up. We probably need a class, experienced centre half at the moment, not necessarily someone who will be the best in the country in 5 years time.

Its always sad when the day comes that our good kids move on, but with our current system we will have more of them to appreciate over the next 5 years.

He has been part of a defence that has leaked goals and if he wasn’t one of our own would probably have been roasted like many before him by the Carrow Road faithfuls. 

We should be flattered that we can produce these players as not many clubs can.

7 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I just think we just say not for sale to any approaches for any of our players until the end of the season, full stop.

Fat chance. We are self financing in case you hadn’t noticed. And should we get relegated, his stock would decline in value. As our director of football openly states ‘everyone has his price’!

Seriously people need to chill out. Webber has stated that the club don’t need to sell anyone . 
Anyone who thinks offers of 20/30M for Godfrey or similar for Aaron’s or Cantwell  would be accepted need certifying. 
The club are selling no one in January but may be purchasing.

I would like Godfrey to stay, help us stay up and then push on .... I would prefer we did not sell him even for "silly" money. Clubs that prosper keep their best players... I know... I'm so weird....

Personally think he’s been one of the best players this season. I wouldn’t want to sell even for silly money when survival is at stake.

The Summer is a different story. From what I’ve seen Ben has the potential to be a top class player, even if we stay up if one of the big clubs comes in offering first team football and a big contract, he’s gone, but I see that as good for all parties.

Edited by Monty13

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Seriously people need to chill out. Webber has stated that the club don’t need to sell anyone . 
Anyone who thinks offers of 20/30M for Godfrey or similar for Aaron’s or Cantwell  would be accepted need certifying. 
The club are selling no one in January but may be purchasing.

There's a big difference between saying the club "don't need" to sell anyone, and saying the club "won't" sell anyone. What Webber is saying is that there is no financial imperative to sell, which sends out the message to bigger clubs that if they want our players they will have to pay through the nose to get them. That in no way guarantees we won't be selling anyone. Here's a caricatured dramatisation of how it might play out:

Spurs: We want Godfrey. We'll pay you £25m.
NCFC: Haha, get real. Double it and we'll talk.
Godfrey's agent: Spurs want to buy you. How do you feel about that? Champions League football, triple your wages, live in London, play for one of the best managers of his generation, share a changing room with Harry Kane... fancy it?
Godfrey: Sounds good. *slaps in transfer request*
Spurs: We know Godfrey wants to leave. We'll offer you £30m.
NCFC: Loan him back to us for the rest of this season and give us a healthy sell-on fee and add-ons?
Spurs: Deal.

Now I'm not saying Godfrey would definitely do that - I obviously don't know the guy or his agent. But once a player makes it known he wants to leave, it's in everyone's best interests to get the deal done. Keep him here against his will and his performances could drop, or his team-mates might turn on him, or he might end up not playing due to his want-away attitude. Once the player's decided he wants to go, the goalposts move irretrievably.

Spurs paid £40 million for Sanchez off the back of one season for Ajax so I'd think £25 million for Godfrey after a season in the PL would be a bit of a bargain.

Personally I don't see us selling in January unless a deal is being lined up for a decent replacement. Yes it's a lot of money for the club, but if we don't think we can get someone with the potential to be as good or better for less, then what's the point?