Depends how badly Jose wants him. If they offer us £30m, and offer him £60k a week and Champions League football, do you really think he'd turn it down? I doubt Jose would've taken the job without assurances from Levy about what he could spend. If Jose is desperate to get him, I think the best we could hope for is a loan-back for the second half of the season.

• Like 3

Wasn't Monty Norman enough for them?

I mean they only gave us Chivers, Neighbour, Bowen, Culverhouse, Polston and Crook in return.

So they then got Ruel Fox to redress things a bit.

Edited by BroadstairsR

2 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Wasn't Monty Norman enough for them?

I mean they only gave us Chivers, Neighbour, Bowen, Culverhouse, Polston and Crook in return.

Martin Peters, Gary Brook and Harry Kane for a month.

I hope we play hardball on this, Ferdinand will be hoping that he can get him to Old Trafford, a bidding war would suit us just fine. 

4 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

Unless we have a replacement already lined up...

Hmm. Stephan Strandberg?

Even if it's £30m we should still insist upon add-ons to keep us going for a while in the same way that the Maddison money has/does.

Just now, splendidrush said:

Martin Peters, Gary Brook and Harry Kane for a month.

I hope we play hardball on this, Ferdinand will be hoping that he can get him to Old Trafford, a bidding war would suit us just fine. 

I forgot Peters. How awful ... the creme de la creme. I still don't remember Gary Brook though.

We must had had more transfer activity with Spurs over the years than with any other side (Leeds, the feeder club, apart that is.)

1 minute ago, BroadstairsR said:

I forgot Peters. How awful ... the creme de la creme. I still don't remember Gary Brook though.

We must had had more transfer activity with Spurs over the years than with any other side (Leeds, the feeder club, apart that is.)

Not sure about that Broady, I think we've had more dealings with West Ham than anyone else. 

6 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Hmm. Stephan Strandberg?

Even if it's £30m we should still insist upon add-ons to keep us going for a while in the same way that the Maddison money has/does.

29 years old and without a club. Isn't he training with us currently?

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I just think we just say not for sale to any approaches for any of our players until the end of the season, full stop.

Why

I am not being negative here but if we are offered 30 - 50m £ and have an experienced centre half lined up I can’t see us turning it down. It is our model and we would be getting silly money. Ala Byram for £750000 we now have an experienced full back ( now worth a lot more ) meaning if the silly season sees a silly offer for Aaron’s or Lewis we can sell. 

There are some instances where the sale of a player strengthens you and helps you get stronger and stronger as a team, Maddison money signed most of this squad.

I would be more concerned if we were talking about Pukki or Krul. It will be so sad to see these kids move on, but it’s our model and I trust Webber to do whatever is necessary. At most clubs these kids would still be in the under 23’s, just shows our model is working on and off the pitch.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Well b back said:

There are some instances where the sale of a player strengthens you and helps you get stronger and stronger as a team, Maddison money signed most of this squad.

There is but it rarely happens in January.

We're alright for cash and if we go down Godfrey will still be worth a fair chunk. Unless the bidding gets crazy (and by that I'm talking £40m +) then I don't see the benefit to us in selling.

I can't see him staying here if Spurs offer £30m. At the least it will have turned Godfrey's head, shortly.

It seems so difficult to let go of these players who have been with us from a young age and progressed so well.

Ben would fall into that category and I'd be sad to see him go. I don't think he'll be off in Jan, though.

Even if we are going to sign Strandberg (if he is indeed on trial with us) I don't think we'd want to let Ben go now. We need another CB in for cover as it seems as though Hanley's issue is only going to persist. We all know we won't see Klose any time soon either. So that would be consistent with needing at least three fit CB's.

Also, Wolfie, if they offered him all that money he wouldn't be the one making the choice! He may want to go earn that money but we hold the cards. The value is between 20-25 million according to that article. Yes, it is a lot of money for us but I think our survival in this league would be worth lots more. As Webber said, they don't have a gun to their heads at the moment with regard to selling players.

Edited by BobLoz3

IMO the most likely deal, should there be one, would be a player (most likely Aarons or Godfrey) sold and loaned back until the end of the season.  This isn’t actually too bad an option from our side.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

Not sure about that Broady, I think we've had more dealings with West Ham than anyone else. 

What about when John Bond got Bournemouth promoted by transferring their first team to Norwich?

Just now, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

What about when John Bond got Bournemouth promoted by transferring their first team to Norwich?

Good call Trev, Benson, Machin, Powell, Boyr, MacDougall anyone else?

55 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Garry Brooke was a stocky midfielder from around 1986 who had a thunder of a shot

Err, Ginger Pele anyone?

17 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

IMO the most likely deal, should there be one, would be a player (most likely Aarons or Godfrey) sold and loaned back until the end of the season.  This isn’t actually too bad an option from our side.

Pretty sure Premiership clubs can't sign someone and loan them to another Premiership club in the same window now.

If it leaves us short at CB - and let's face it, we're short at that position already given Klose is out for the season - then selling a CB is going to leave us with hardly any chance of survival. 

So unless we have a replacement lined up, the likely cost to the club of selling would be a lot more than £30m.

Why would Ben or any young player want to join Jose - look what he did to Luke Shaw and the team he managed at Chelsea. If I was advising Godfrey ( which I'm not)  I'd tell him to keep his head down carry on at Carrow road for this season and then see what happens from there. - he won't get this experience in the Spurs squad.

As much as I wouldn’t want him to leave we have to take a good offer while it’s there. It’s ok to say he could be worth more in a years time but he could lose form or get a bad injury in which case that offer won’t come along again.

3 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

As much as I wouldn’t want him to leave we have to take a good offer while it’s there. It’s ok to say he could be worth more in a years time but he could lose form or get a bad injury in which case that offer won’t come along again.

So? Are we going bust without his sale?

Just now, king canary said:

So? Are we going bust without his sale?

Of course not, but £30m at the end of the season, or agreed in January with him staying until May has to be a good deal. If we hang on to him and then next season sell him for £10m because of poor form or injury everyone will say we sold him cheap.

19 minutes ago, The Great Drinkell said:

Why would Ben or any young player want to join Jose - look what he did to Luke Shaw and the team he managed at Chelsea. If I was advising Godfrey ( which I'm not)  I'd tell him to keep his head down carry on at Carrow road for this season and then see what happens from there. - he won't get this experience in the Spurs squad.

Well I guess he'd want to join Jose because he's one of the best managers in the world, and for the opportunity to win trophies, and play in elite competitions, and play alongside and against the worlds best players. etc etc

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Well I guess he'd want to join Jose because he's one of the best managers in the world, and for the opportunity to win trophies, and play in elite competitions, and play alongside and against the worlds best players. etc etc

Jose has a god awful track record of developing young players though- it is a reasonable thing to consider.

With alderweireld stalling on signing a  new contract spurs are def in the market for a CB, he will raise cash for them to  finance godfrey  deal. I dont like the sound of this  at all.

1 minute ago, FenwayFrank said:

Of course not, but £30m at the end of the season, or agreed in January with him staying until May has to be a good deal. If we hang on to him and then next season sell him for £10m because of poor form or injury everyone will say we sold him cheap.

At the end of the season yeah- mid-season when we've got a decent chance of staying up? No chance.