Sign in to follow this  
Swedishcanary

Tettey/Amadou

18 minutes ago, Number9 said:

He is a defensive midfielder with an excellent reputation, how many minutes has he played for us in that position?

He's consistently been played out of position so I don't think you're telling the whole truth. 

No? Well, I've watched him in every game he's played this season as have you, I'm sure.

Yes, I know very well that he's a DM. He was brilliant against Arsenal and then shocking against Southampton, hence being taken off at half time. For who? Tettey. Despite the fact he was kind of injured he did a heck of a lot better than Ibra.

Perhaps Amadou is not used to playing more than one game a week. But I'm not sure that's an excuse. I am also sure that he will improve. All I'm saying is that he's currently lacking consistency. We can't really afford to be carrying players so let's hope this changes!

25 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Yes, I know very well that he's a DM. He was brilliant against Arsenal and then shocking against Southampton, hence being taken off at half time. For who? Tettey. Despite the fact he was kind of injured he did a heck of a lot better than Ibra.

I'm not sure about him being shocking. I don't think he was helped by Farke randomly moving to a back 3 for a part of the first half where he looked much less comfortable.

For me Trybull is the weaker link in the middle of the park. Tettey and Amadou is worth a shot.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I'm not sure about him being shocking. I don't think he was helped by Farke randomly moving to a back 3 for a part of the first half where he looked much less comfortable.

For me Trybull is the weaker link in the middle of the park. Tettey and Amadou is worth a shot.

I like him. Don't get me wrong. But I'm sticking by my comment of him not being consistent.

The amount of times he passed the ball directly to a Southampton midfielder in that game was quite ridiculous. Attempting to make passes that went nowhere, slicing the ball out of play, not really pushing up at all as he did against Arsenal (ok, that's not his strong point and never has been but that kind of press helps our overall game and he didn't do it much against Saints).

Tettey came on, controlled the middle of the park and set Pukki up. Much better with his output.

Edited by BobLoz3

35 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

I like him. Don't get me wrong. But I'm sticking by my comment of him not being consistent.

The amount of times he passed the ball directly to a Southampton midfielder in that game was quite ridiculous. Attempting to make passes that went nowhere, slicing the ball out of play, not really pushing up at all as he did against Arsenal (ok, that's not his strong point and never has been but that kind of press helps our overall game and he didn't do it much against Saints).

Tettey came on, controlled the middle of the park and set Pukki up. Much better with his output.

Yep, Amadou only had something like a 63% pass success rate, and he was only there to keep it simple. Compare that with Trybulls 89%, or even Tettey's 97%, or Stiepermanns 89% and you can see just how much he struggled with the basics.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he was great. I just don't think he was helped by being shifted between positions 20/30 minutes into the game.

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yep, Amadou only had something like a 63% pass success rate, and he was only there to keep it simple. Compare that with Trybulls 89%, or even Tettey's 97%, or Stiepermanns 89% and you can see just how much he struggled with the basics.

Thanks for the stats Hoggy! I hadn't looked at that.

As for my point about consistency, be interesting to see what those stats were against Arsenal.

Amadou got rattled by their aggressive press and the midfield shape fell apart as a result. 

Tettey has that experience at this level and you could see the midfield were a lot more controlled in the second half, which helped force them back into their half.

Hopefully Ibra learns quickly. 

58 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

As for my point about consistency, be interesting to see what those stats were against Arsenal.

95%, so best in the team.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

just under 95% against the less press intensive Gooners where his overall game was excellent.  Plenty of players struggle for consistency in their first English season.    Trybulls rate was 82% then.

10 minutes ago, king canary said:

95%, so best in the team.

Yep. Knew they'd be good, as he was very decent in that game.

I still stick by my point about consistency. Although he may not be able to reach those levels every game, he certainly shouldn't be pleased with the low 60's!

11 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Yep. Knew they'd be good, as he was very decent in that game.

I still stick by my point about consistency. Although he may not be able to reach those levels every game, he certainly shouldn't be pleased with the low 60's!

Probably difficult to talk about consistency 135 minutes into his career in his preferred position.  

33 minutes ago, king canary said:

Probably difficult to talk about consistency 135 minutes into his career in his preferred position.  

But even at CB he did it. Great against Man City, pretty pants against Burnley, Palace AND Man U. Admittedly, not his preferred position.

Anyway. There we are. Just the way I see it.

I'm sure he'll be a big player for us. Let's hope he helps us stay in this league.

6 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

But even at CB he did it. Great against Man City, pretty pants against Burnley, Palace AND Man U. Admittedly, not his preferred position.

Anyway. There we are. Just the way I see it.

I'm sure he'll be a big player for us. Let's hope he helps us stay in this league.

I think 'great against Man City, pants v Burnely/Palace/Man U' applies to pretty much the entire team.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, king canary said:

I don't think he was helped by Farke randomly moving to a back 3 for a part of the first half where he looked much less comfortable.

Yep, that was strange, I get the idea of a  def mid dropping in there when FBs are advanced and we are under a counter attack, but was it under Farkes instruction? Not having dig just wondering, as I felt his substitution at ht was down to lack of positional discipline, would like to know if you know , for sure, as the man says.

I would be surprised if Tettey doesn't start against Sheff Utd if he's ok to play. Utd will be in our faces from the off and from what I've seen so far Amadou needs time to adapt. Not saying he can't but this is a massive game which we must not lose. Tettey had never let us down and won't on Sunday.

On 06/12/2019 at 16:05, king canary said:

I think 'great against Man City, pants v Burnely/Palace/Man U' applies to pretty much the entire team.

Yeah... Perhaps.

But the fact he isn't getting in the side now kinda speaks volumes. Tettey is currently more trusted in that role by Farke, I feel.

30 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Yeah... Perhaps.

But the fact he isn't getting in the side now kinda speaks volumes. Tettey is currently more trusted in that role by Farke, I feel.

Which doesn't bode too well for our summer recruitment again.

Amadou was supposed to be the missing piece, a proper defensive midfielder who'd shore up the leaky defense. Instead he's apparently another bench warmer.

While I have critiqued our transfer strategy elsewhere, I think getting Amadou in on loan was astute.

There is certainly a good player in there somewhere, he was superb against Man City and Arsenal.

However, from his performances against Villa and Southamption - I am quite glad we haven't dropped 10m(?) on him already,

35 minutes ago, king canary said:

Which doesn't bode too well for our summer recruitment again.

Amadou was supposed to be the missing piece, a proper defensive midfielder who'd shore up the leaky defense. Instead he's apparently another bench warmer.

Yes. I agree with that.

Also, I'm finding all of the Jan transfer reports pretty frustrating. It makes me wonder just why we didn't push the boat out in the first place. Of course, these rumours could be nothing more than simply that. However, it is annoying that there's even speculation because right now it seems like it will be too little, too late.