Sign in to follow this  
Swedishcanary

Tettey/Amadou

Hmm... tough one for me!

Tettey has never really let us down when called upon and, at the rate he's been going, I wouldn't be surprised to see him given another year.

Amadou, though, will likely only improve in this league now he's had a chance to play in his preferred position so he edges it for me.

Love both, but don't think they'd work in the midfield at the same time. Not enough technical ability to complement one another imo.

19 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Hmm... tough one for me!

Tettey has never really let us down when called upon and, at the rate he's been going, I wouldn't be surprised to see him given another year.

Amadou, though, will likely only improve in this league now he's had a chance to play in his preferred position so he edges it for me.

Love both, but don't think they'd work in the midfield at the same time. Not enough technical ability to complement one another imo.

I agree. If we go down I would think it's pretty much going to happen. 

And I agree it's unlikely they will play in midfield together, but I wouldn't be horrified if it happened, they might surprise us.

19 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I agree. If we go down I would think it's pretty much going to happen. 

And I agree it's unlikely they will play in midfield together, but I wouldn't be horrified if it happened, they might surprise us.

Yes because if we do go down, we definitely won't be signing Amadou permanently!

As I said yesterday... if we want to continue to see these players we all rather like at our club, we need to stay in the Prem.

I'd play both, which is very harsh on Trybull.

Our midfield looked very good at Everton with Tettey and Trybull, and also against Arsenal with Amadou and Trybull. I guess it could be argued that the common denominator is actually Trybull, however I feel that in both games he was outperformed by his partner.

Trybull hasn't done a lot wrong in those two games, but as I said, both Amadou and Tettey offer more, in my opinion. Amadou clearly has more energy and physical presence than both of the others, as well as probably more technical skill, and he was also able to drive forward at times against Arsenal into shooting positions (although maybe he should refrain from actually shooting when he gets there). I also feel that Tettey's positioning and experience offer more than what Trybull brings to the party, so I'd use the Tettey-Amadou combination.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

Play  them both once we're two nil up  against  Leicester.  Could be a useful combo to see any game out.

Fingers crossed I can refer to this post in my match report in a "kudos to wcorkcanary" way !

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Fingers crossed I can refer to this post in my match report in a "kudos to wcorkcanary" way !

I hope so too Formingo!!

• Like 1

I don't subscribe to the Athletic, but Michael Bailey interviewed him a few weeks back and recently posted this snippet.

I would say based on that, it sounds like Tetts knows that if everything goes to plan, he's passing the torch to Amadou.

IMG_20191203_183651.jpg

• Like 1

Trybull is much more comfortable than both with the ball at his feet so I wouldn’t play both instead of him personally. We might be more solid but we would lose some tempo when in possession.

In which case why change a team from a good performance, Amadou should stay in place in my book.

Can’t see both playing other than through injury or if we are going extremely defensive (away at a top six club perhaps). 

Trybull I think gets a bit of unfair stick, or at least gets less credit than he perhaps deserves. I think he does a lot off the ball, keeps it tidy and simple - doesn’t always get the plaudits, but if you’re in the right place you usually don’t have to make the big thunderous tackle etc...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BobLoz3 said:

Yes because if we do go down, we definitely won't be signing Amadou permanently!

As I said yesterday... if we want to continue to see these players we all rather like at our club, we need to stay in the Prem.

Agreed, but I was trying to say if it (Tettey alongside Amadou) happened this season, I wouldn’t bet against it working out. 

55 minutes ago, Ekoku: The Ambassador Of The People said:

I thought Trybull would not be able to cut it in the prem but the last few games he has excelled and is nailed on in his position. For me Amadou. Its up to Tettey to dislodge him much like last season with players coming in for others injured. Also feel Byram deserves to keep his place over Lewis too. 

Agreed - last season, once you were in the shirt was yours and it was up to others to get it off you.

For me, it probably is Amadou anyway, if only for the fact I don’t think Tettey will be able to do it for 38 games in the prem. Amadou is younger and probably a bit more dynamic. Tettey is better kept relatively fresh and used to sure things up when hanging on or as a more solid option when needed (and as injury cover). 

Amadou, but I reckon Tetts would be brilliant back-up for at least another season. Just the right sort of guy to hang on to to minimise the likelihood of our midfield next year ending up like our defence has done this year.

11 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Agreed, but I was trying to say if it (Tettey alongside Amadou) happened this season, I wouldn’t bet against it working out. 

Yeah dude, I got that! I was saying that if we go down we may have to give Tetts another year as we wouldn't sign Amadou in that instance.

I wouldn't be against the two playing together in midfield, but what would concern me is the lack of long range passing ability they have (so, when I said 'technical ability' this is what I was referring to). Both Tettey and Amadou prefer to play shorter passes and are better at those. Their pass completion rates have been good too, when playing in that '6' role. Perhaps it's because of Farke's tactics but you don't see those two attempting 'Hollywood' passes. It's not their strength. However, when you play Leitner or Trybull alongside them there is a bit more grace involved. So, that would be my preference although Leitner doesn't look like he's going to get back in any time soon!

8 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Can’t see Tettey staying beyond the end of the season at all.

Yeah but that was a widespread view last season and possibly the one before!

he used to have problems with his knees which limited his game time especially in the Champs with lots of midweek games. But he’s still playing regularly for us, as long as he’s performing well we shouldn’t be in any rush to get rid IMO.

but then I remember when we had DMs like Mike Milligan playing for us .... 

Amadou, Tettey as great as a servant he has been, his knees are going and I dont think he could offer consistency over a full season, great mentor for Amadou though, think he looks the real deal, although only one game played at DM. 

1 hour ago, It's Character Forming said:

Yeah but that was a widespread view last season and possibly the one before!

he used to have problems with his knees which limited his game time especially in the Champs with lots of midweek games. But he’s still playing regularly for us, as long as he’s performing well we shouldn’t be in any rush to get rid IMO.

but then I remember when we had DMs like Mike Milligan playing for us .... 

It’s not just about his knees though, I think he’s had time off twice this season now for personal reasons, I think he’ll move back to Norway sooner rather than later.

Tettey when fit has been amazing this season and last. Amadou in his last two games hasn't gotten near what Tettey is capable of at his best. If he was younger and didn't have a glass knee he'd be a guaranteed starter every week for me. His injury record is the only reason a bigger, established PL club hasn't snapped him up and we'll have a hell of a job replacing him without spending a fortune. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Tettey when fit has been amazing this season and last. Amadou in his last two games hasn't gotten near what Tettey is capable of at his best. If he was younger and didn't have a glass knee he'd be a guaranteed starter every week for me. His injury record is the only reason a bigger, established PL club hasn't snapped him up and we'll have a hell of a job replacing him without spending a fortune. 

This, thought Amadou was poor last night, Tettey was way better and what a pass for the goal.........

• Like 1

Tettey for me.  Reliable servant who gets the job done. Big impact on game last night over Amadou. 

Amadou was awful in that first half against Saints.

He can cut it, but seems to have problems with his consistency. Plays well one game and then useless the next. Seems to have been a pattern for him thus far.

Amadou needs to play a number of games in his best position. Moving him into a back three didn’t really do him any favours

1 hour ago, BobLoz3 said:

Amadou was awful in that first half against Saints.

He can cut it, but seems to have problems with his consistency. Plays well one game and then useless the next. Seems to have been a pattern for him thus far.

He is a defensive midfielder with an excellent reputation, how many minutes has he played for us in that position?

He's consistently been played out of position so I don't think you're telling the whole truth. 

Fenway is right in what he says. He needs to continue to play DM in order to find form, match fitness and sharpness.

The same way as Duncan Forbes improved under John Bond, Tettey has improved under DF. I had written him off three seasons ago but the movement of the players under DF gives him that little bit more time on the ball as control isn't his major asset.

However, we haven't improved defensively. But I think that is mainly because we concede so many at set pieces because of that darned zonal marking.

One of the two holding midfield players has to hold while our full backs like to go forward. I'm sure Amadou may well improve with games as he has to get used the style and tempo. Ward Prowse, especially the first half showed us what a holding midfield player should be doing.