Sign in to follow this  
pete

Silly Contract Season

Potter at Brighton given new 6 year contract with Brighton currently in 16th position a magnificent 3 points above the relegation spots.  Reminds me of the 8 year contract given to Pardew by Newcastle how well that worked out. 

Dean Smith given new 4 year contract again good for him but not puling up trees despite £120m spent with more to come.

According to SSN no Watford contract for Hughton shame. 

Crazy situation    

Theyll end up having  to pay a shoiteload to get rid of them, unless of course  they do really well.  Which is not beyond the bounds of possibility,  but unlikely. 

Or maybe they think Potter is likely to be poached so a long contract would mean a bigger buy out clause I assume.

Or are Brighton being fairly sensible and saying that they have to back their judgement.

Whilst I was one of those who thought Chris Hughton and Alex Neill should go, with the current philosophy, I can see no reason why DF couldn't be put on a nice long contract and told to go out and do it with no fear.

Ultimately, I think coaches/managers have a life with a club just the same as players and then it is time for a change.

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Or maybe they think Potter is likely to be poached so a long contract would mean a bigger buy out clause I assume.

Or are Brighton being fairly sensible and saying that they have to back their judgement.

Whilst I was one of those who thought Chris Hughton and Alex Neill should go, with the current philosophy, I can see no reason why DF couldn't be put on a nice long contract and told to go out and do it with no fear.

Ultimately, I think coaches/managers have a life with a club just the same as players and then it is time for a change.

I see an argument for an incremental contract,  initially  2 years, if successful ,  extra year with increased  wage and so on. Six years seems a very long time,  I understand the poaching protection element  but if the contract isn't performance related  then the Club that offers it is putting  themselves at quite a risk. Some bright spark  may be  able to tell us how many managers in  the top flight have stayed in place for longer than five years say , since the 92/93 season. Fergie  and Wenger for sure , anyone know any others?

39 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Watford must be on a death wish as Big Sam and Hughton are the front runners with the bookies.

Hughton would probably do okay, he has a good track record in his first 18 months with clubs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Watford must be on a death wish as Big Sam and Hughton are the front runners with the bookies.

More like those putting bets have little idea what they're doing, not what is actually being considered by Watford. 

23 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

More like those putting bets have little idea what they're doing, not what is actually being considered by Watford. 

Unless they have got wind that appointing foreign managers nobody has heard of has cost them a fortune in payoffs every few months is being reconsidered by the owners.

12 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Some bright spark  may be  able to tell us how many managers in  the top flight have stayed in place for longer than five years say , since the 92/93 season. Fergie  and Wenger for sure , anyone know any others?

Without looking it up I'll throw in Moyes at Everton and maybe Pulis at Stoke but I take your point. 

1 hour ago, splendidrush said:

Without looking it up I'll throw in Moyes at Everton and maybe Pulis at Stoke but I take your point. 

Also without looking it up -  Moyes and Pulis but also Big Sam at Bolton, Benitez at Liverpool and Redknapp at West Ham all also jump to mind. (I agree with the point of the question too).

23 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

Also without looking it up -  Moyes and Pulis but also Big Sam at Bolton, Benitez at Liverpool and Redknapp at West Ham all also jump to mind. (I agree with the point of the question too).

Curbishly at Charlton would be another I'd assume.

23 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

Starting to look like quite a list, perhaps it's not as clear as we thought 🤔

Indeed,  its quite surprising  how many have done 5 years.  I may have time to find a definitive list  this evening, effing work getting in the way of football  chat at the moment   . 

5 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Indeed,  its quite surprising  how many have done 5 years.  I may have time to find a definitive list  this evening, effing work getting in the way of football  chat at the moment   . 

I think it is still a fairly small % of the overall number to be honest. I believe Dyche and Howe have both been in post for 5 years (or at least very close to) but not all of those were in the top flight.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I think it is still a fairly small % of the overall number to be honest. I believe Dyche and Howe have both been in post for 5 years (or at least very close to) but not all of those were in the top flight.

👍,Some geek somewhere must have worked out a list of managerial longevity , not sure if I have the patience to be that geek. Rubbish 4G  where I am today,  so cant spend all lunchtime  waiting for one page to  load.

13 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

👍,Some geek somewhere must have worked out a list of managerial longevity , not sure if I have the patience to be that geek. Rubbish 4G  where I am today,  so cant spend all lunchtime  waiting for one page to  load.

I'll be that geek.

https://www.90min.com/posts/6272578-10-longest-serving-premier-league-managers

Sean Dyche has now overtaken Bobby Robson to become the tenth manager to reach five unbroken years of PL service. Eddie Howe has been at Bournemouth since 2012, but has only been in the Premier League since August 2015. 

I think the five years is not a long time either. Even we did three years on the spin. Laws  of probability say there must be some.

Ranieri is probably the most ridiculous to have been sacked so soon and Wenger probably should have gone earlier. 

Just now, Feedthewolf said:

I'll be that geek.

https://www.90min.com/posts/6272578-10-longest-serving-premier-league-managers

Sean Dyche has now overtaken Bobby Robson to become the tenth manager to reach five unbroken years of PL service. Eddie Howe has been at Bournemouth since 2012, but has only been in the Premier League since August 2015. 

Thanks Wolfo,  so ten, any chance  you  can find out how many managers  have served in the premier league? 

2 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Or rather,  how many managerial  appointments  there have been. 

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

Ok, Cheers  again Wolfo . So 10 out of 403, 1 in 40, or 2.5%.  That's quite  shocking  to me. Football management  in the Premier league  has a turnover   akin to Amazon warehouses/ distribution  centres.  Slightly better pay  though.  

2 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Ok, Cheers  again Wolfo . So 10 out of 403, 1 in 40, or 2.5%.  That's quite  shocking  to me. Football management  in the Premier league  has a turnover   akin to Amazon warehouses/ distribution  centres.  Slightly better pay  though.  

That list does include caretaker managers, though. I just totalled up the number from each nationality at the bottom of this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Premier_League_managers

1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

👍, lunchtime over, back  to planting  trees. 

Lunchtime over, back to watching snooker.

19 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I can see no reason why DF couldn't be put on a nice long contract and told to go out and do it with no fear.

There are 2 parties in a contract - DF might not want a long contract.  I've no reason to believe he wants to leave, but if his star continues to rise, he might see himself elsewhere in two/three years, whichever division we're in. Webber wants to work in Europe in the future, he might take Daniel with him...

55 minutes ago, Woodman said:

There are 2 parties in a contract - DF might not want a long contract.  I've no reason to believe he wants to leave, but if his star continues to rise, he might see himself elsewhere in two/three years, whichever division we're in. Webber wants to work in Europe in the future, he might take Daniel with him...

A sobering thought; losing both Webber and Farke at the same time is an eventuality that must be guarded against at all costs. It was heartening to hear Webber say this week that he'd like to be involved in finding his replacement; one can only hope he'd find us someone capable of continuing the great work he's done here.

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

A sobering thought; losing both Webber and Farke at the same time is an eventuality that must be guarded against at all costs. It was heartening to hear Webber say this week that he'd like to be involved in finding his replacement; one can only hope he'd find us someone capable of continuing the great work he's done here.

I wonder if he might be grooming someone like Kieran Scott to take over if he leaves- however he might actually want to take him with him.