Jump to content
Note to existing users - password reset is required Read more... ×
lake district canary

Shouldn't be surprised I suppose....

Recommended Posts

On 02/12/2019 at 13:25, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Who, outside of Norfolk, gives a toss about Norwich?

 

Me..... and several others, right here in NZ.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, splendidrush said:

Me..... and several others, right here in NZ.

And an awful lot of people in Africa and Asia give a toss about Arsenal.

How anyone can try to argue that as many people nationally/internationally care about Norwich as Arsenal and we should receive equal coverage is beyond me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

And an awful lot of people in Africa and Asia give a toss about Arsenal.

How anyone can try to argue that as many people nationally/internationally care about Norwich as Arsenal and we should receive equal coverage is beyond me.

It is semantics isn't it? Plenty of people outside of Norfolk care about Norwich but they usually have some connection to Norfolk. 

Plenty more people care about Arsenal with zero links to North London.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, king canary said:

It is semantics isn't it? Plenty of people outside of Norfolk care about Norwich but they usually have some connection to Norfolk. 

Plenty more people care about Arsenal with zero links to North London.

But the bottom line is that there are still far more people both in the UK and abroad that are more interested in Arsenal. That's why they get more media coverage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

But the bottom line is that there are still far more people both in the UK and abroad that are more interested in Arsenal. That's why they get more media coverage. 

Yeah, sorry I was agreeing with you. I was saying the people trying to disagree were doing so based on semantics rather than anything of substance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

But the bottom line is that there are still far more people both in the UK and abroad that are more interested in Arsenal. That's why they get more media coverage. 

Of course you're right..... but I'm not interested in them, I'm a Norwich fan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Worth noting that Arsenal are a big club in this country who had just sacked their manager so regardless of how the game panned out they would always do some kind of slightly-more-in-depth analysis of Arsenal this weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, hogesar said:

Worth noting that Arsenal are a big club in this country who had just sacked their manager so regardless of how the game panned out they would always do some kind of slightly-more-in-depth analysis of Arsenal this weekend.

It wasn't analysis though, it was just ranting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

It wasn't analysis though, it was just ranting.

There was some analysis, but it was largely drowned out by Martin Keown being a whiney little b*tch.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

There was some analysis, but it was largely drowned out by Martin Keown being a whiney little b*tch.

If he played these days, how long would he be on the pitch for until he was sent off?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

But the bottom line is that there are still far more people both in the UK and abroad that are more interested in Arsenal. That's why they get more media coverage. 

That is what is wrong with the argument though. If you are a commercial media outlet reliant on advertising then I see your point. But a national broadcaster should not be following that incentive, it should be presenting a balanced view of all national events, without bias - political or commercial. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Surfer said:

That is what is wrong with the argument though. If you are a commercial media outlet reliant on advertising then I see your point. But a national broadcaster should not be following that incentive, it should be presenting a balanced view of all national events, without bias - political or commercial. 

This is the BBC we're  talking about. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Surfer said:

That is what is wrong with the argument though. If you are a commercial media outlet reliant on advertising then I see your point. But a national broadcaster should not be following that incentive, it should be presenting a balanced view of all national events, without bias - political or commercial. 

But if the nation as a whole has more interest in one thing than another, surely it makes sense to cater for that?

Using the logic that everything needs to be equal, why don't the BBC show the same amount of League One and League Two as the Premier League? Why don't they dedicate as many hours to golf as football?

If there are more Arsenal fans in the UK than Norwich fans, it makes sense that BBC give more coverage to Arsenal. Similarly, there are more Norwich fans than Southend fans (for example) so we get more coverage than Southend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, lake district canary said:

It wasn't analysis though, it was just ranting.

I thought the analysis of Arsenal’s defending was quite decent. A lot of talk about how and when to press, when players closed but should have dropped off, or dropped off when they should have closed. If I was a young kid watching that, I’d have probably tried to take a lot of what Keown said on board (bit late for me now!)
 

On 01/12/2019 at 23:24, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Let's be honest, Joe Public is more interested in Arsenal than Norwich, so it's only natural that the national media talks more about the bigger clubs than the smaller ones. If you want a Norwich-centred report then you need to read the local stuff.

Agreed, but it’s not just about interest or supporter levels. As “average” as Arsenal may  have been for years, and as bad as they have been by their standards this season, if Arsenal turn up and put in a performance they’d beat us regardless of how well we played. So the analysis being along the lines of ‘Arsenal had a bad day, this is why’ is accurate and reflective of the game. If we beat Palace or Brighton, the analysis would be that we were the better side.

On 02/12/2019 at 09:45, Fuzzar said:

Said on the highlights that foot on the line counts as inside the box. All the players were clearly warned by the ref before the kick was taken.

This has to be correct - a keeper can stand on the line with the ball in his hands and it isn’t handball. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×