lake district canary

Shouldn't be surprised I suppose....

.....but it never ceases to amaze how the football machine is so anti the lower clubs.  The VAR decision on Aarons was laughable, he hadn't even got his right foot down in the penalty area when the ball was kicked. Would that have happened if it had been the other way round....no.  Then on MOTD 8 minutes of dissecting how bad Arsenal were then less than 2 minutes of minutes of talk about Norwich in a match that on balance we were the better team.  That's life as a smaller club, bias bias, bias towards the big clubs. Stinks. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

.....but it never ceases to amaze how the football machine is so anti the lower clubs.  The VAR decision on Aarons was laughable, he hadn't even got his right foot down in the penalty area when the ball was kicked. Would that have happened if it had been the other way round....no.  Then on MOTD 8 minutes of dissecting how bad Arsenal were then less than 2 minutes of minutes of talk about Norwich in a match that on balance we were the better team.  That's life as a smaller club, bias bias, bias towards the big clubs. Stinks. 

Let's be honest, Joe Public is more interested in Arsenal than Norwich, so it's only natural that the national media talks more about the bigger clubs than the smaller ones. If you want a Norwich-centred report then you need to read the local stuff.

• Like 4

It's the basic appeal to the masses.

If Brazil lost to Estonia (for example) I doubt we'd be seeing much about how good Estonia were.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Let's be honest, Joe Public is more interested in Arsenal than Norwich, so it's only natural that the national media talks more about the bigger clubs than the smaller ones. If you want a Norwich-centred report then you need to read the local stuff.

Who in the country gives a t*ss about Arsenal? North Londoners? I certainly don't and I don't think that many people around the country do, they have been underperforming for years and it is staid, stale punditry and guff from the BBC that gives us the likes of that ex-Arsenal defender who's name escapes me on a programme where he talks about the "good old days" when he played for Arsenal.  Shearer is the same.  If only they would ring the changes a bit more, get more variety of pundits in with a more balanced approach, they might get a bit more credit for their programmes.

Edited by lake district canary
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Who in the country gives a t*ss about Arsenal? North Londoners? 

Who, outside of Norfolk, gives a toss about Norwich?

Let's not kid ourselves here. More people in the UK care about Arsenal than Norwich. That's why they get more attention from the national media.

Lakey, I didn't used to care about what was said on TV. Did listen to MOTD tonight and it was all about arsenal. They didn't really seem to care about the big moments in the game. Just thought Todd Cantwell was good as an afterthought.

It peed me off a bit this time because the tv is making going to games so frustrating. I didn't really enjoy the game today because VAR is in the back of my mind throughout.

It's very different from last season when we left every game talking about how we played and who played well. Now it's just about VAR.

The BBC though shouldn’t care about how many Arsenal supporters there are v Norwich supporters. They should instead be providing a balanced view and analysis of what happened in the game. Like how good the Arsenal keeper was for example, how well Arsenal pressed Norwich at the beginning of each half, and how Norwich exploited the Arsenal defensive weaknesses and turned the screw in the latter stages of the game.

In the US all I heard was Arsenal’s problem is they don’t have a settled center back pair and it’s tough to build anything without that - well duh, what do you think we have experienced so far this season then? Of course that fact was not mentioned at all, just that we had not spent as much money as Villa and Sheff U.

Edited by Surfer
  • Like 5

Indeed.

It was a Premier League game between two Premier League teams who should have been given equal respect.

Arsenal might well have a bigger fan base, but it's limited in the grand scheme of things and their affairs wouldn't interest many north of Watford Gap.

The pundits selected are usually from the bigger clubs and this never helps.

Martin Keown would still be talking about the fortunes of his ex club now if the programme hadn't ended when it did. He even had to be reminded politely two or three times that Todd Cantwell played very well and that the youngster's successes were not solely down to misgivings in the Arsenal defence.

Btw. All of a sudden it's young Cantwell who seems to have become the latest of Norwich City's multi-multi million pound starlets and not the likes of Lewis, Aarons, Godfrey or Buendia.Two weeks in a row now he has been singled out for his excellence in this flagship programme. Long may it continue.

Edited by BroadstairsR

5 hours ago, Surfer said:

The BBC though shouldn’t care about how many Arsenal supporters there are v Norwich supporters. They should instead be providing a balanced view and analysis of what happened in the game. Like how good the Arsenal keeper was for example, how well Arsenal pressed Norwich at the beginning of each half, and how Norwich exploited the Arsenal defensive weaknesses and turned the screw in the latter stages of the game.

In the US all I heard was Arsenal’s problem is they don’t have a settled center back pair and it’s tough to build anything without that - well duh, what do you think we have experienced so far this season then? Of course that fact was not mentioned at all, just that we had not spent as much money as Villa and Sheff U.

I've been amazed at the poor quality of the punditry on BBC for ages. Sky is little better but the BBC should be providing a balanced view of football, and everything else for that matter. 

It may just be that there is no one out there capable of doing the job properly. Those who are capable are coaches rather than pundits. The only person I've heard provide simple but effective analysis this season is Jose Mourinho. Not everyone's cup of tea but he does understand the game 

Don't know why people bother to watch the highlights particularly when they know what is, and is not, going to be said.

Just watch the game and make your own mind about what you see and be happy with that.

You don't need overpaid pundits to tell you about it.

Edited by Making Plans
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

Don't know why people bother to watch the highlights particularly when they know what is, and is not, going to be said.

Just watch the game and I make your own mind about what you see and be happy with that.

You don't need overpaid pundits to tell me about it.

I don’t often agree with you MP, but you’re right on this one. If viewing figures dropped, the BBC would probably look to change things about the program. If they’re staying high, they will assume they have a satisfied audience.

Not quite the case MP. We have thousands who watch the game  ...... and see nothing. The detailed highlights can be informative and analysing and can allow the people who watch the game to see even more!

Max was standing on the line and that is deemed to be in the area so encroachment. Harsh but players should know the rules especially in these VAR times.

Likewise, I was not surprised by the bias coverage. However, it doesn't help that the host was facilitating the Martin Keown master class instating the bleeding obvious. Even Mark Chapman was realising by the end he had allowed gas bag Keown too much air time highlighting how sad things have become for the North London billionaires. 

And as someone has said, not many people out side of our beautiful county actually give a fid about the fortunes of NCFC.

That was certainly one of the worse MOTDs I have watched. Awful punditry and a touch embarrassing.

45 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

Max was standing on the line and that is deemed to be in the area so encroachment. Harsh but players should know the rules especially in these VAR times.

I don't think he was. It's very difficult to be exact, but going frame by frame on Sky's highlights I would say his toe is not over the line, at worst his toe may have been on the line. Generally in football being on the line is permissible (throw-ins, corners) & I do not see anywhere that says it's different for encroachment.

If the complaint is about his body position then there has never been a penalty which has been saved, because at least one defender will always have his body leaning over the line &/or with his foot on the line.

Actually I don't think the problem lies with VAR but with the uselessness of the adjudicators. I suspect the fact they're completely isolated from the action does not help.

Said on the highlights that foot on the line counts as inside the box. All the players were clearly warned by the ref before the kick was taken.

1 hour ago, Fuzzar said:

Said on the highlights that foot on the line counts as inside the box. All the players were clearly warned by the ref before the kick was taken.

In the same way that a ball just touching the line at a corner is deemed to be in the quadrant.

I thought that Keown was about to burst into tears, he got very emotional about the whole "if I was out there against Pukki today he is not grabbing the headlines" and then had the gall to admit that Arsenal should be embarrassed that Norwich got something out of the game. When was the last time Arsenal actually did anything of note? Kept going on about the "good old days", he'd fit in well at another club down the road.

13 hours ago, K Lo said:

If Brazil lost to Estonia (for example) I doubt we'd be seeing much about how good Estonia were.

Estonia are a hell of a national team. 🤣😉

If you go on the BBC Sports page and click on the Norwich page the headline is "We Can 100% Make the Top Fou - Ljungberg"... after the Everton games it was "Club Comes First - Silva after Norwich loss".

The BBC just produce lazy, bias, & extremely dull editorial that is cliched & offers no insight or proper analysis. Gave up watching MOTD years ago.

14 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Who, outside of Norfolk, gives a toss about Norwich?

The Finnish

18 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

If you go on the BBC Sports page and click on the Norwich page the headline is "We Can 100% Make the Top Fou - Ljungberg"... after the Everton games it was "Club Comes First - Silva after Norwich loss".

The BBC just produce lazy, bias, & extremely dull editorial that is cliched & offers no insight or proper analysis. Gave up watching MOTD years ago.

It is the headline of the match report- click into it and you'll see a large section entitled 'Unfortunate Norwich' and a whole bit about Max Aarons.

17 hours ago, K Lo said:

Are we really that sh1t?

2 hours ago, king canary said:

It is the headline of the match report- click into it and you'll see a large section entitled 'Unfortunate Norwich' and a whole bit about Max Aarons.

I've read that but I couldn't see much about Max. In fact apart from making him MoM they didn't mention him. Unless they've edited it since you saw it?

You must have missed the ....."and Max Aarons was solid at right-back."  Ron 🙂

Why Aarons as MoM, and not Cantwell or McLean or Leno? You could argue that Aarons was at fault for both Arsenal goals - his infraction leading to the penalty re-take, and Arsenal's second scored from his side of the penalty area... harsh maybe, but arguable.

6 minutes ago, paddycanary said:

Make that two corners Corky!

We're  taking over !

I do wish that County Cork used County  Kerry's  colours  though.