TIL 1010

What Exactly Defines A Superfan ?

Every time a story is reported in the media involving fans these days they are classed as superfans. Now we have a Gasway advert involving such fans. In my book a fan is a fan so can someone please define what sets a superfan in a group apart from the rest of us ?

https://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/norwich-city-fans-starring-in-sky-tv-ad-1-6402539

Edited by TIL 1010

The article explains why they've been chosen.

I think you're getting a bit hung up on the title 'superfan', it's just a bit of hyperbole which advertisers like to use to get publicity.

When we sing "we're by far the greatest team the world has ever seen" I don't think anyone thinks "But are we though?". 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

46 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

The article explains why they've been chosen.

I think you're getting a bit hung up on the title 'superfan', it's just a bit of hyperbole which advertisers like to use to get publicity.

When we sing "we're by far the greatest team the world has ever seen" I don't think anyone thinks "But are we though?". 😀

😲

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

I think Superfan was the title bestowed on Chelle. That'll do for me.

You are right there Nutty and of Course Lily Kemp.

• Like 1

Archant need a super-subeditor,  based on the way they spell Merthyr Tydfil, Michael, and Clapton Orient 😞

A superfan for me is either -

a) someone who makes a huge effort, showing total commitment to get to every single game wherever it is, including pre-season games - and has done for years, like a fan who may live a long way away, maybe even abroad, who travels hours and hours, home and away to follow his team wherever they go, who never slags off players but only ever shows 100% support.

or

b) someone local who goes to matches every week, maybe has done so for many years and who make big sacrifices to do so, maybe they don't have much money or health issues and yet still are positive, never slag off players and support 100%.

I suspect there aren't many of a) but quite a lot of b)

Caveat - in case anyone thinks they are from the b) group, if they have ever booed, they can count themselves right out of the superfan bracket. 😁

13 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Someone who’s there through the good times and bad. Supports the team , management and never questions the board . 

A happy clapper?

superfan in British English

(ˈsuːpəˌfæn)
noun

Late 40s, balding, flabby, spends too much time on t'internet, kicks off occasionally.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

91186B7D-180A-495A-A14C-E69131CF02A0.jpeg

C'mon Jobbo, own up, you've just forwarded that from your own inbox haven't you?

• Haha 1