Darth Vadis

Team for Arsenal?

Byram has to keep his place, as does McLean, so I'd go with that Darth. Hopefully Amadou will show his class in midfield. At last!!

• Like 4

You've nailed it for me Darth, they all deserve their places after Everton and with Tettey injured Amadou is a no brainer to come in and finally seen in his natural position.

2 hours ago, lincsy88 said:

You've nailed it for me Darth, they all deserve their places after Everton and with Tettey injured Amadou is a no brainer to come in and finally seen in his natural position.

Tettey's out for personal reasons, which is a bit of a worry. I hope his family's all OK.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, ron obvious said:

Tettey's out for personal reasons, which is a bit of a worry. I hope his family's all OK.

Yep, whatever's  going on,  hope it works out ok, very fond of old clunky knees. Not the most elegant player but still very important indeed for us . Enter Amadou , your chance  has arrived( I hope).

13 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Given how well the whole team played last week, I'm sure it would've been an unchanged team, but with Tettey out the natural thing to do is bring Amadou into the side as a like for like change. I'd be surprised if we see anything different.

Really, I would have thought after reading your player ratings last week McLean would have been ripe for the chop..... 

Finally Amadou in his rightful place. Certainly difficult to judge on this one performance but if Sevilla and captaining his side in France is anything to go by we have a player. I hope he is now one of the first names on the team sheet and he makes this position his own.

Lewis is back, so do you think Byram has earned his starting berth, or does Jamal walk straight back in?

I hope Byram gets the nod as he's earned his right to start, else sends out the wrong message that some are automatic starters regardless of performance. Jamal and Max are great at getting forward, but Sam's a better defender

Think we'll need a stronger defence against Arsenal tomorrow

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Samwam27 said:

Lewis is back, so do you think Byram has earned his starting berth, or does Jamal walk straight back in?

I hope Byram gets the nod as he's earned his right to start, else sends out the wrong message that some are automatic starters regardless of performance. Jamal and Max are great at getting forward, but Sam's a better defender

Think we'll need a stronger defence against Arsenal tomorrow

I don't  see the need to rush Jamal  back, he had his elbow problem, played on for club and country, then his latest injury  while  away with NI. A couple of weeks rest  could do him good.

Sam Byram is a very able replacement, and as you say, a little more experienced  defending  wise so I'd be happy enough with him starting. 

On a purely starting 11 proposition, I agree completely with the original suggestion. However....

My only issue is that if we play Amadou in place of Tettey we have zero central defensive cover from the bench. With Zimmerman just coming back, it's a risk having Amadou on from the start and no (central) defensive reinforcements from the bench.

12 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

On a purely starting 11 proposition, I agree completely with the original suggestion. However....

My only issue is that if we play Amadou in place of Tettey we have zero central defensive cover from the bench. With Zimmerman just coming back, it's a risk having Amadou on from the start and no (central) defensive reinforcements from the bench.

Solid point, who would you play? Vrancic?

14 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

In that scenario, couldn't we just move Amadou back into defence and bring on a midfielder?

Like the look of the OP line up. I hope Kenny can maintain his form and have a big game. Also get the feeling Amadou is the sort of player who will raise his game against the “bigger” teams, which Arsenal undoubtedly are despite their poor run of form, very tough game ahead!

10 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Bizarre comment. I didn't give anyone less than a 6.5.

He was MoM for some and you rated him lowest among the team. Still bizarre?

1 hour ago, Norfolk Dan said:

He was MoM for some and you rated him lowest among the team. Still bizarre?

I gave a few players 6.5, of which McLean was one. Why does that mean you think I want McLean dropped and not the others? The fact is, everyone played well last week. If you've read a few of my ratings threads this season you will see that every week (aside from the games in we were resoundingly beaten) people complain my marks are too low, but I'm being consistent with the marking scheme.

Tbf, Wackyo did explain a while ago that his ratings system was based on Italian? guidelines or some such , where a 6 is a decent solid performance and anything above that is a good performance, an 8 would be outstanding.  Not many 9s or 3s handed out ,which  seems a sensible ,less reactive way to judge scores.

• Like 1

I have to say that looking around the net, an astonishing number of people are either not going with Amadou, the obvious choice to replace Tettey in the role he was brought here for, or seemingly being desperate to bring Emi back and drop McLean back to cdm.

I can’t see why we’d change what worked against Everton - the OP line-up has to be as near as dammit, possibly with Lewis for Sam, and accounting for any unknown injuries (it may be Todd isn’t 100% and if he isn’t I’d rest him what with 6-7 games coming in a month).  If it takes a while for Emi to get back in the side then so be it.

Byram deserves to keep his place but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't.

He did very well against City when we beat them but was dropped pretty much as soon as Aarons was fit. I wouldn't be surprised if we're pushing Lewis + Max into the first team as much as possible to maximise possible values, with Byram on an agreement that he is backup this season but guaranteed starter next.

24 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I have to say that looking around the net, an astonishing number of people are either not going with Amadou, the obvious choice to replace Tettey in the role he was brought here for, or seemingly being desperate to bring Emi back and drop McLean back to cdm.

I can’t see why we’d change what worked against Everton - the OP line-up has to be as near as dammit, possibly with Lewis for Sam, and accounting for any unknown injuries (it may be Todd isn’t 100% and if he isn’t I’d rest him what with 6-7 games coming in a month).  If it takes a while for Emi to get back in the side then so be it.

Agreed. Last week's lineup and formation worked so well, so I don't understand why we'd want to tinker with it. McLean has looked far more comfortable as an attacking midfielder rather than playing in the two in front of the back four, so moving him back there now wouldn't make sense.

15 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we're pushing Lewis + Max into the first team as much as possible to maximise possible values

I see that logic, so I'd start with Lewis, Aarons and Godfrey as much as possible, but ultimately staying in the Premier League will maximise revenues more than anything and after last week, I'd say that playing Byram today would give us more chance of earning points and therefore staying up.

29 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Agreed. Last week's lineup and formation worked so well, so I don't understand why we'd want to tinker with it. McLean has looked far more comfortable as an attacking midfielder rather than playing in the two in front of the back four, so moving him back there now wouldn't make sense.

I see that logic, so I'd start with Lewis, Aarons and Godfrey as much as possible, but ultimately staying in the Premier League will maximise revenues more than anything and after last week, I'd say that playing Byram today would give us more chance of earning points and therefore staying up.

Byram has won his starting place. It's no surprise that he started against both Man City and Everton which we won.