Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report AGM 2019

4 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Architects are already working on designs for a new City Stand - their brief is to come up with proposals where as far as possible the the building of the new stand will pay for itself. 

Is this just something you have heard or is it something that has been said at an AGM, consultation meeting or a forum because if so it has passed me by ?

3 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Is this just something you have heard or is it something that has been said at an AGM, consultation meeting or a forum because if so it has passed me by ?

Something I've heard from someone who is in a position to know. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Architects are already working on designs for a new City Stand - their brief is to come up with proposals where as far as possible the the building of the new stand will pay for itself. 

We could do it the American way. You sell bricks for a fee which gets your family name imbossed on a "sponsors" brick wall that runs the length of the stand at eye height. Assume 6,000  2.5" x 8"  bricks at £200 each raises £1.2m. Just another £19m or so to go .... 

City Stand doesn't need to be done close season.

Just move the Royal Box to Smiffy's posh seats in the South Stand and give the rest of the biscuit chasers a discount when they can return the next season....

13 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

Think you'll find that building a top tier on the Jarrold Stand is NOT possible as the foundations were not built to withstand that. The club decided back in 2004 to go that way on cost grounds even though there was much speculation about a second tier either then or in the future. Personally I can't see there being sufficient room to develop the City Stand even with buying the 'land' (such as it is). You would still need access outside to the turnstiles, player entrance, away team coach etc. and the current set up is simply not conducive. Whilst you could build over the old Carrow Road outside the stand, how could you actually 're develop' the whole stand as is being mooted?? There isn't enough room. Only feasible option is a 'top tier' (which could potentially be done without disrupting the use of the current stand.     

Yes I've heard that about the South stand foundations but then I've also heard that foundations WERE built, which way is correct I don't know?

Anyhow Rangers and Sheffield Wednesday have added upper tiers to stands that were 70+ years old and surely when built didn't have considerations to do such a project all that time into the future?

Alan Bowkett said many years ago that its probably best to start from scratch with the City stand cause the current version while seen as state of the art in 1986, now is very cramped and nothing special in current times.

I think the plan is to have a large single stand similar or a little bit bigger than the South Stand and retaining Carrow Road as a service road/walkway going underneath it like you see at Sheffield Wednesday, Man Utd and no doubt other grounds as well.

No doubt expensive stuff hence why it hasn't been done up to now!

On 29/11/2019 at 21:47, ricardo said:

However that sentence encompasses the nub of the problem. Without regular top ups from the Premier League the prospect begins to look economically unsound. Last years income of 36.5 million against this years 126 million is where the concern must lie.

The point about the whole paragraph was that it indicated that at worst our yo-yo existence would probably continue. Of course we might slide back, but our whole postwar performance has been a very slow, steady climb with some plateaus. There are unlikely circumstances under which it all might go horribly wrong but the much greater likelihood is that circumstances, as far as attendances go, will either stay the same or improve in terms of justifying extra capacity. This is not a case of banking on always playing in Europe or some such dream.

That being so, all the indications are that increased capacity, once paid, for would be profitable, and - when in the PL - help bridge the financial gap bettween ourselves and our realistic competitors. It is an often-repeated nonsense that in the PL extra money from ticket sales is irrelevant. For us the opposite is clearly the case.

And as to funding the project it would only be financially unsound if the assumption was that we would normally be in the PL and if the aim was to fund it all from outside debt, and I doubt either is the case.

On 30/11/2019 at 20:23, yellowrider120 said:

Think you'll find that building a top tier on the Jarrold Stand is NOT possible as the foundations were not built to withstand that. The club decided back in 2004 to go that way on cost grounds even though there was much speculation about a second tier either then or in the future. Personally I can't see there being sufficient room to develop the City Stand even with buying the 'land' (such as it is). You would still need access outside to the turnstiles, player entrance, away team coach etc. and the current set up is simply not conducive. Whilst you could build over the old Carrow Road outside the stand, how could you actually 're develop' the whole stand as is being mooted?? There isn't enough room. Only feasible option is a 'top tier' (which could potentially be done without disrupting the use of the current stand.     

Would we be able to do this as Newcastle have with St James Park? Both of their large stands (or stand) is built over a road as ours may have to be?

• Like 1

On 30/11/2019 at 20:23, yellowrider120 said:

Just ask teams to get changed in the Leisure Center, no need for changing rooms, space saved.

• Haha 1