Sign in to follow this  
keelansgrandad

What are you watching?

Watched The Irishman. Anyone else watched it yet? Pacino working his socks off to scene steal from a collection of actors who must have appeared in every Scorsese movie and most mafia/organised crime movies.

• Like 1

Not seen that, will give it a look. 

Highly recommend the ‘Dublin Murders’ which is available in full on iplayer. Really gripping series and very cleverly written.

Not seen that, will give it a look. 

Highly recommend the ‘Dublin Murders’ which is available in full on iplayer. Really gripping series and very cleverly written.

Mrs KG has downloaded it

21 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Watched The Irishman. Anyone else watched it yet? Pacino working his socks off to scene steal from a collection of actors who must have appeared in every Scorsese movie and most mafia/organised crime movies.

Did Pacino get into  full on scenery  chewing  mode? He becomes a self parody act when he does that.Which is a shame as he can act , as long as he keeps a bit of a lid on it. 

Did Pacino get into  full on scenery  chewing  mode? He becomes a self parody act when he does that.Which is a shame as he can act , as long as he keeps a bit of a lid on it. 

Its funny. De Niro and Pesci play their parts, I assume from research, in very quiet and firm ways. Pacino is playing Jimmy Hoffa and is made for the part. No-one else could have got near it. Full on and brilliant.

De Niro is my favourite actor but Pacino steals it for me. Stephen Graham plays a big part and doesn't look out of his depth.

Guy Martin programmes. He manages to make things that I am not overly interested in rather watchable and enjoyable. Tonight the Great Escape motorbike stunt.

As is customary I will have to go and see the new Star Wars film, more out of duty than anything else. The standalone films like Rogue One have been so much better than the ones in the trilogy so far. Hoping this one is more memorable than the last two. Although. saying that, this trilogy has so far been miles better than the second (first) trilogy. Not hard to be fair.

I've just watched all the way through Line of duty - if you've not seen it yet, well worth a watch!

I'm not a Star wars fan at all - watched through the Mandalorian and it's fine, but it just has no real story arc so hard to get invested in it - Will probably watch through the most recent films at some point though to see if I can get on with them.

I've just watched all the way through Line of duty - if you've not seen it yet, well worth a watch!

Line of Duty is probably the best drama/crime series for years.

The Man In The High Castle, The Marvelous Mrs Maisel, and HInterland - Celtic miserablism so extreme it makes this message-board after a defeat look sunnily optimistic by comparison.

37 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Line of Duty is probably the best drama/crime series for years.

Agreed - if you enjoyed it then you'll enjoy Dublin Murders too

Just watched the latest horror show where NCFC dominated 75% of the game as they have in a lot of the games this season only for the wicked witch to spoil the plot

Watched my rugby team Camborne get hammered by our rivals Redruth yesterday, at our ground. I live in Redruth but that is another story.

But hey ho, the mistletoe, a few of the black stuff before and after and my son won the raffle. So who is complaining.

Edited by keelansgrandad

On 24/12/2019 at 08:23, Herman said:

As is customary I will have to go and see the new Star Wars film, more out of duty than anything else. The standalone films like Rogue One have been so much better than the ones in the trilogy so far. Hoping this one is more memorable than the last two. Although. saying that, this trilogy has so far been miles better than the second (first) trilogy. Not hard to be fair.

Turned out to be very good. Best out of the three with no cringy bits. 

Went to see 1917 earlier. A phenomenal piece of film making and one of the first WW1 films where you feel the horror and terror of the awful mess. First time I've had that emotional hit at the end of a film since Schindler's List.

Went to see 1917 earlier. A phenomenal piece of film making and one of the first WW1 films where you feel the horror and terror of the awful mess. First time I've had that emotional hit at the end of a film since Schindler's List.

Going this week. Coughs and colds permitting.

On 11/01/2020 at 17:15, Herman said:

1917 is definitely on my "must-see" list....

Have a look at "The Courageous heart of Irena Sendler". That will give you that same type of hit.

She was the Polish version of Schindler and gets far too little recognition or credit for what she did. Risked death as she used her position as a social worker to assist 2500 children to escape the evils of the Nazis. 

Especially poignant as it is holocaust memorial day on the 27th.

Edited by kick it off
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/01/2020 at 17:15, Herman said:

Hoping to see it next week. Went the see the Book Of Mormon just round the corner on the night of the 1917 Premiere. Street were so packed it was a job to get by. The B O M was hilarious and well worth the visit.

My boss got dragged to see the BOM and absolutely loved it.He explained it and I don't think he was expecting it to be so irreverent.

2 minutes ago, Herman said:

My boss got dragged to see the BOM and absolutely loved it.He explained it and I don't think he was expecting it to be so irreverent.

A woman sitting behind us was saying before it started that she hoped it was not going to be like the Rocky Horror show that she said was disgusting and left half way through. BOM made RHS look like a kids party. She did not leave and laughted like a drain all the way through. She was cheering along with plenty of other women when the Ugandans were running around with their Shlongos out. I loved the ripping the fvck out of religion full stop.

• Like 1

On 11/01/2020 at 18:15, Herman said:

Agreed. I think too much has been made of the supposed one-take aspect. It is a very scary edge of your seat film as well as having  those other virtues you mention.

• Like 1

On 28/11/2019 at 16:17, keelansgrandad said:

Watch the documentary on the McDonalds scam, it's called McMillions, some of the real life characters involved could've come straight out of a Scorsese movie.