Sign in to follow this  
Lewis DW

Salaries / Wages

Now I know what you find on Google isn't necessarily factual but surely the salaries mentioned next to names like Godfrey, Aarons and especially Cantwell can't be correct? 

Apparently Cantwell gets less for playing a season of Premier League football then someone like Jesse Lingard gets paid for sitting on the bench at Man Utd for a week. 

Aarons and Godfrey also, are noted as being on approximately £5k per week. Which is barely a League One players weekly take-home, let alone a Premier League players. 

Over the Summer both Godfrey and Aarons were apparently linked with moves away and I find it very hard to believe that Norwich have managed to keep bigger club away with pitiful wages like this for Premier League players.

If NCFC players have got proper football agents, I'd be very surprised to see NCFC keep hold of lots of their talented individuals come January or the summer. 

Teemu is apparently Norwich highest earner, with a rumoured £2,000,000 a season

Edited by Lewis DW
  • Like 1

Aarons alone had THREE new contracts thrown at him in the space of a season.

The £5K mentioned could well be what they were on last season (or the one before last) but doubtful it's that little now.

Aaron's and Cantwell both signed new deals this summer, they won't be on £5k a week. Although important to remember that while that sounds low it is £250k a year.

Also the average League One Wage, well, last time I remember them producing a report on it, was something like £2.3-2.5k - so half of the 5k you're referring to.

12 minutes ago, Lewis DW said:

Now I know what you find on Google isn't necessarily factual but surely the salaries mentioned next to names like Godfrey, Aarons and especially Cantwell can't be correct?

Apparently Cantwell gets less for playing a season of Premier League football then someone like Jesse Lingard gets paid for sitting on the bench at Man Utd for a week. 

Aarons and Godfrey also, are noted as being on approximately £5k per week. Which is barely a League One players weekly take-home, let alone a Premier League players. 

Over the Summer both Godfrey and Aarons were apparently linked with moves away and I find it very hard to believe that Norwich have managed to keep bigger club away with pitiful wages like this for Premier League players.

If NCFC players have got proper football agents, I'd be very surprised to see NCFC keep hold of lots of their talented individuals come January or the summer. 

Teemu is apparently Norwich highest earner, with a rumoured £2,000,000 a season

Yep! Sounds about right - apparently!

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Also the average League One Wage, well, last time I remember them producing a report on it, was something like £2.3-2.5k - so half of the 5k you're referring to.

I never said Cantwell got £5k. Considerably less if you believe what you find on Google. 

2 minutes ago, lappinitup said:

Yep! Sounds about right - apparently!

The discussion starts... with info I found via Google, hence the apparentlys and rumours as Google isn't factual. Back in your box.

Just now, Lewis DW said:

I never said Cantwell got £5k. Considerably less if you believe what you find on Google. 

I never said you said Cantwell got 5k. I was referring to where you said:

"Aarons and Godfrey also, are noted as being on approximately £5k per week. Which is barely a League One players weekly take-home, let alone a Premier League players"

Just now, hogesar said:

I never said you said Cantwell got 5k. I was referring to where you said:

"Aarons and Godfrey also, are noted as being on approximately £5k per week. Which is barely a League One players weekly take-home, let alone a Premier League players"

Are you fighting my case or yours? Jeez. 

It says... "Aarons and Godfrey also," - NOT "Aarons and Godfrey ARE ALSO" 

Some people on this forum like trying to pick arguments for no reason. Read it, constructive comment if you like or ignore it - this is a post not a direct message to you

2 minutes ago, Lewis DW said:

Some people on this forum like trying to pick arguments for no reason. Read it, constructive comment if you like or ignore it - this is a post not a direct message to you

Well what is the constructive debate to be had here? Are our players underpaid? I don't know. They would be based on those figures but I highly doubt they are true.

For me the most interesting element is what is in those new contracts signed this summer. You'd assume sizeable wage drops based on relegation and in a few cases (particularly Godfrey) a release clause if we go down.

Just now, king canary said:

I'd like to think decent release clauses would be in those new contracts King Canary - NCFC have a lot of young talent. There must be a number of clubs frustrated that NCFC picked up the likes of Aarons, Lewis and Godfrey for next to nothing. Top scouting. 

1 minute ago, Lewis DW said:

I'd like to think decent release clauses would be in those new contracts King Canary - NCFC have a lot of young talent. There must be a number of clubs frustrated that NCFC picked up the likes of Aarons, Lewis and Godfrey for next to nothing. Top scouting. 

Personally I'd like to hope there aren't release clauses so we can dictate the price- however, I'd imagine there are in at least few contracts but they'd be set reasonably high.

7 minutes ago, Lewis DW said:

What are you on about? I tried to offer you some more facts to balance out your thoughts.

You said 5k was barely a League One players take home per week, I just pointed out that 5k is double the average in League One. 

Which, to me suggests that the 5k salary was potentially accurate last season.

We spent £24.6m last season on basic player wages (excluding promotion bonuses). If that figure was only for the first team squad then it would work out roughly at an annual wage of £1m, or £20,000 a week. But it may include however many other players we had on the books below that level.

8 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

We spent £24.6m last season on basic player wages (excluding promotion bonuses). If that figure was only for the first team squad then it would work out roughly at an annual wage of £1m, or £20,000 a week. But it may include however many other players we had on the books below that level.

Was just putting together that same calculation. That wage total is first team wages according to the accounts so reasonable to assume an average around the 20k mark last season. 

Not worth discussing wages unless the facts are known. Although I'm sure Jobbo would insist that we're paying Todd way too much........and we are all switched on to his grasp of reality.

Better guide for this season is last season's players squad cost plus the promotion bonus (effectively making up last years salaries to EPL equivalent).  That takes average to over £30k per week - £1.5 million p.a. Nice. 

Wonder if they begrudge the tax paid as much as that bloke earning £80k on QT?  No doubt some overseas players have a net take home agreement!

23 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Better guide for this season is last season's players squad cost plus the promotion bonus (effectively making up last years salaries to EPL equivalent).  That takes average to over £30k per week - £1.5 million p.a. Nice. 

Wonder if they begrudge the tax paid as much as that bloke earning £80k on QT?  No doubt some overseas players have a net take home agreement!

I still think he earns £18K and is just a bit thick.

• Haha 1

If this info came from sillyseason.com, it’s worth noting that the article says that we are currently in the Championship 😳

comeon guys, you act just you all new to all this stuff, sometime even great footballer like sadio mane isn't got a good wage. In Liverpool mane even aren't listed on top 5, in term of salary.

to get a good wage, a player need a good looking, have many fans, and love by sport entertainment company like Nike or Adidas, that sound bad, but it just goes like that.