Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Now that optimism levels are on the up...

And people (fans and players) have been given a bit of belief again.

Assuming we can pick up a few more points before January and look like we are in with a chance of staying up...

... what positions do we try and recruit for in January? 

I'd go for:

1. A player for that right side if Roberts isn't considered good enough, because I really think Buendia is wasted having to play that deep (a liability in fact), I think Buendia should be challenging for that number 10 position. He created more chances for Pukki than any other player last season, he won't do that hanging around in his own half for most of the game. For me he needs to be competing with Cantwell for that number 10 spot. 
  2. A centre back, for obvious reasons. Because we have one out for the season, and one of the others isn't really good enough (Hanley).

And as long as no further serious long term injuries before the end of January, I'd probably just leave it at that. 

Signing a domestic homegrown keeper and sending Ralf back or dropping McGovern from the 25  is an option we may need to consider, just purely because we need to free up overseas player spots if we are to sign any of those other two from overseas. Angus Gunn has just lost his place in the Southampton team! 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

I agree that I think Emi could do so much damage as a runner around the box as he showed with our 2nd yesterday. Was Todd the "Number 10". I think he was more right sided than that yesterday. MacLean was more central which is why he won so many headers.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I agree that I think Emi could do so much damage as a runner around the box as he showed with our 2nd yesterday. Was Todd the "Number 10". I think he was more right sided than that yesterday. MacLean was more central which is why he won so many headers.

Pretty sure Kenny was further forward in the number 10 role. He was supposedly signed as a replacement for Wes but has hardly ever played in that role, so its no surprise or coincedence that we saw the best of him yesterday. In central midfield he's been practically anonymous at times, but like Todd he was everywhere yesterday and his great flick on header for the 1st goal shows he could be a very useful outlet if we want to go a bit more direct.

47 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

What, like Amadou?

Beat me to it. We haven’t seen him get a decent go in his natural position, so I’d like to see him in there. 

In terms of January, probably a loanee winger and not a lot else. 

Not sure we’ll go for a centre back - who do we bring in? Likely to be a loanee if anyone and then who is available who is definitely going to better than Hanley or Amadou? If we can get someone a bit like Byram (decent prem squad player not getting game time) then we might splash out and bring them in permanently (also with an eye to Godfrey perhaps leaving if we go down or being a long term squad player if we stay up). 

Zimmerman fit is basically a new signing and might (Might!) be more important than any other January transfer business. 

• Like 1

I hope we go for the same team against Arsenal. The team yesterday had a nice balance about them.

Odd because there was no Leitner, Vrancic or Buendia. Nor Stiepermann.

Another CB for me, we might still get relegated, but we definitely will if we have another patch without at least two recognised CBs fit.

Other than that I’d like to see us pick up a gem or two thats out of contract in the summer and first team quality/exciting prospect so we steal a march on any competition.

Edited by Monty13

We'll not be spending in January.

We had the option to in the summer and didnt, nothings changed and were about where we were expected to be.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

We'll not be spending in January.

We had the option to in the summer and didnt, nothings changed and were about where we were expected to be.

I bet if we're 17th or 18th we'll be doing something in the market, even if its just loans with a clause to buy if we stay up. 

4 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I bet if we're 17th or 18th we'll be doing something in the market, even if its just loans with a clause to buy if we stay up. 

For what position? 

We don't need another keeper. 

Have enough full backs. 

We're actually going to have our centre halves back. 

Already have too many centre mid's. 

We've got by so far (even with having Onel out) without having to give Roberts a kick. 

We're not replacing Pukki or bringing a third striker in. 

Through a combination of Farke's loyalty and the clubs low appetite for risk we got through preseason only spending pockit change, there's no compelling reason to spend in Jan. 

Edited by CDMullins

7 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

A few young lads for the Academy and the future, please. 

This and what CD says. We won't be spending stupid money on a desperate attempt to stay up that's for certain. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CDMullins said:

For what position? 

We don't need another keeper. 

Have enough full backs. 

We're actually going to have our centre halves back. 

Already have too many centre mid's. 

We've got by so far (even with having Onel out) without having to give Roberts a kick. 

We're not replacing Pukki or bringing a third striker in. 

Through a combination of Farke's loyalty and the clubs low appetite for risk we got through preseason only spending pockit change, there's no compelling reason to spend in Jan. 

I stated in the OP what positions I'd sign for and why? 

Centre back could prob be a loan, to cover Klose injury. 

Why risk Hanley when there are big doubts about his quality at this level? 

I don't think Buendia is the answer on that right side. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

Even though TvB has blocked me for pointing out the inacurracies in a couple of his posts and refusing to back down( naughty me, daring to challenge his authority), I'm gonna reply anyway. He may not see it unless he has a peek or someone quotes me , then it may slip through.

From everything stated by Webber etc. I really can't see us spending much at all, which is ok by me as I've bought into the plan as it is at the moment. Saturday showed what we can do, we just need to be a little more consistent , which with Zimbo back and the two sheilding mids in front of back four, should be easier to achieve. 

The  position that we need cover at is of course centre half, which may be a target,  all other positions seem to be covered or have someone who can  do a job there. Now, having said that if the right player at whatever position is available then we may go for them, the plan is long term I believe and that will require patience, not kneejerk panic buys.

Difficult for some to stomach I know ,but the club will almost certainly stick to the plan , because it is the plan , simple as that. I agree with RTB ( on football matters) Herman and CD.

Things may change of course if we have serious injuries somewhere but centre half is really the position that needs cover. I have no idea who may be targeted,if anyone as my knowledge of players is minimal, my interest and knowledge is more in the positional  and tactical areas as youth development has been my passion for the last twelve years or so, now retired. The whole team development is what I find interesting, assembling an off the peg team, I'll leave to Jose Moaninho and other market experts.

PS, thought Sheffield United were fantastic yesterday, no I don't wish we were them, but by God they gave man u a rattle.

• Like 1

A new left back would be handy - I love Lewis, but Heise does not seem to be a backup that the manager trusts. 

A pacey winger would also help us. We look so much more threatening with Onel in the team, when he was injured we really struggled for pace. 

While we will not be spending much in January, we are normally pretty consistent in bringing in first team players (even if they are loaned back for the rest of the season).

For me, a central defender and a number 10 type who can link between midfield and Pukki (unless McLean shows he can do that between now and January).

6 hours ago, CDMullins said:

there's no compelling reason to spend in Jan.

We've just won our first game in over two months and have the second-worst defensive record in the league. 

Saturday could mark the beginning of a turn around in form but let's not pretend there aren't areas of the squad to be looked at if we're serious about staying up.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, king canary said:

We've just won our first game in over two months and have the second-worst defensive record in the league. 

Saturday could mark the beginning of a turn around in form but let's not pretend there aren't areas of the squad to be looked at if we're serious about staying up.

We've won our first game in over two months, equally the first time in over two months we've been able to play our preferred back four. Even then it wasn't actually our preferred, but at least a proper CB partnership.

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

We've won our first game in over two months, equally the first time in over two months we've been able to play our preferred back four. Even then it wasn't actually our preferred, but at least a proper CB partnership.

Well yes but isn't that in itself an argument for signing a central defender? Based on what we've seen this season we're one injury away from really struggling. We've seen Hanley isn't the answer and Klose isn't due back until the end of the season.

With Klose not coming back this season and Hanley not up to scratch we need another centre back. Can’t afford to let Zimbo get injured again and be back to Terry etc as centre back, the last 7 games have shown that doesn’t work and won’t keep us up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Centre back could prob be a loan, to cover Klose injury. 

Apologies, I read on phone and missed the connection between you being OP and your reply.

There wasn't in August, nothings changed.

It's appeared clear it will be 3 from Buendia, Cantwell, Hernandez, Steipermann, bloody hell Farke even played Kenny further forward rather than playing Roberts, so not sure we'd spend any money on someone else to watch our games from the sideline.

2 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

There wasn't in August, nothings changed.

Errrm....

52 minutes ago, king canary said:

I completely agree.

But it wont happen, as far as the club are concerned (Klose injury aside) we are in the exact position we were expected to be in.

For me it'd be a first choice CB and a first choice CM.

In consideration of Mullins' stance on the club's pockets and, as someone else has already mentioned, a CB on a loan (with a view to buy IF Norwich stay up) and back up to Onel should injury occur again.

Given Roberts didnt featured in the absence of Onel it's pretty obvious he won't at all now.

For us fans, there are areas that confuse us of course. No Amadou probably being the main one. Then there is Roberts and also Heise. All we can assume is that it is down to what happens in training.

Saturday's result probably means an unchanged line up although it will be a home game where we will be expected to be on the front foot a bit more.