Sign in to follow this  
Il Pirata

A few words from today.

Superb away day, absolutely up there with some of the best. To a man we were committed, but disciplined, with a game maturity rarely seen. We had a plan today, and it was executed perfectly. 

The away fans were in full voice, and fully supported the players. There was a connection, and both bounced off each other. Felt great, just like last season and the start of this. 

Special mention to Kenny McLean and Sam Byram. Kenny has had a lot of criticism, myself included, but in the more advanced role he was really effective and his workrate epitomised the team as a whole today. Byram is as good a defender as Godfrey and Zimm. Perhaps not quite as good offensively as Lewis or Aaron’s, although that can be debated after some of his advances today, but he’s a better defender and I think we need that more right now. He has to keep his place. 

Brilliant day. Leicester next for me, hopefully. 

OTBC.

• Like 3

Tend to agree about Byram keeping his place, Jamal is excellent but recently he turns back and goes home rather than advancing up the pitch, maybe not a bad idea to give Byram a spell on the pitch.

23 minutes ago, ncfc-tom said:

Tend to agree about Byram keeping his place, Jamal is excellent but recently he turns back and goes home rather than advancing up the pitch, maybe not a bad idea to give Byram a spell on the pitch.

There was a couple of incidents in the 2nd half where he was stretching his groin, hope he doesn't have a problem with it.

He just needs some heading practise. 😀

The amount of aerial battles McLean wins for a relatively small midfielder is impressive - and vital to our first goal.

It’s odd that dropping Emi may be what the side needed, I don’t think too many of us would have thought so at the start of the season; Todd was off-colour against Man Utd but has come back really well so hopefully he will too.  Byram definitely deserves a chance, it does feel odd that he didn’t have a go at cb when we were at the deep end of our injury problem, but it’s great to have Zimm back - we certainly needed to make ourselves a tougher team to play against and that starts from the back.

34 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It’s odd that dropping Emi may be what the side needed, I don’t think too many of us would have thought so at the start of the season; Todd was off-colour against Man Utd but has come back really well so hopefully he will too.  Byram definitely deserves a chance, it does feel odd that he didn’t have a go at cb when we were at the deep end of our injury problem, but it’s great to have Zimm back - we certainly needed to make ourselves a tougher team to play against and that starts from the back.

I think Farke got the team selection right yesterday - by luck and judgement. I'm a Vrancic fan but Farke went for defensive solidity over attacking flair. We just had to stop leaking soft goals and cut out silly costly naive mistakes - hence drop Emi and both Tettey and Trybull to start. Cantwell and McLean dd well. We can get a bit more adventurous again once we have stabilized the ship!

Pleased also for Srbeny - always gives 100% and never seems to moan (publickly) being bit part player often thrown on to try and rescue something with 5 minutes at the end. Deserved a goal. Proper team player.

Edited by Yellow Fever
Looking up not down!
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, hogesar said:

The amount of aerial battles McLean wins for a relatively small midfielder is impressive - and vital to our first goal.

Oi-6 feet isn’t relatively small-he’s the same height as me 😉. Reminiscent of the  14/15 season when Bradley Johnson was the outlet on the left-he won an amazing amount of headers-now he is a shortar$e, although I wouldn’t say it to his face 🤣

Edited by Mr Angry
Autocorrect

4 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

So can we finally put to bed that stat about never winning games when Buendia doesn't play, or is it still a factor because he came on as a sub?

34 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

So can we finally put to bed that stat about never winning games when Buendia doesn't play, or is it still a factor because he came on as a sub?

Depends on your agenda...