Krul 7.5: Those two saves in quick succession midway through the second half were crucial. Organised the defence impeccably as usual.

Aarons 7.5: Excellent performance. Dealt with Richarlison brilliantly and marshalled the back post very well when needed to.

Zimmermann 8.5: A lot of people have said that our season would turn when he came back but surely nobody expected a performance like this in his first game. Always in the right place to make headers, tackles and clearances and used the ball very well too.

Godfrey 7.0: I barely noticed him today, and when you can say that about a centre back you know you've had a good day. Proactive rather than reactive for a change. Good performance but outshone by the man next to him.

Byram 7.0: Did what he needed to in defence and got forward well when needed too. How did he not score with that header, though?

Tettey 7.0: His usual disciplined self. Never out of position and kept things ticking over in possession. 

Trybull 6.5: Did a good job of protecting the defence and didn't allow himself to be overpowered as has been the case too often recently. 

Cantwell 7.5: Excellent. Retained possession well when he needed to, came close to opening the scoring in the first half and took his goal very, very well when the opportunity arose. Very mature, composed performance.

McLean 6.5: Didn't offer too much with the ball aside from the through ball to set Hernandez away in the first half, but worked very hard and intelligently without it.

Hernandez 7.0: His usual dangerous, tricky self. Very good dribbling that put the Everton defence under pressure persistently but the final ball wasn't present often enough. Tracked back well today.

Pukki 6.5: No chances today, but not much in the way of service. Worked the channels very well and created the goal for Cantwell. 

Subs:

Buendia 6.5: Helped keep things tight and his driving run provided the second goal.

Amadou N/A

Srbeny 6.5: Had possession once, and scored with it. A very good finish and he deserves it for keeping his head down and working hard even when he has known for over a year there's no chance of a start. Who needs Drmic, anyway?

• Like 1

Thought Byram was great today. Looked so solid defensively and I’m sure with more game time he’d be burying headers like that one. Is there an argument to keep him in ahead if Lewis?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Darth Vadis said:

Thought Byram was great today. Looked so solid defensively and I’m sure with more game time he’d be burying headers like that one. Is there an argument to keep him in ahead if Lewis?

I knocked off half a point for the header, but I agree he was very good. 

If Lewis is fit next week then I can't see how Farke can justify dropping Byram after today.

9 minutes ago, Darth Vadis said:

Or to push Lewis on and Byram play behind him

19 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Krul 7.5: Those two saves in quick succession midway through the second half were crucial. Organised the defence impeccably as usual.

Aarons 7.5: Excellent performance. Dealt with Richarlison brilliantly and marshalled the back post very well when needed to.

Zimmermann 8.5: A lot of people have said that our season would turn when he came back but surely nobody expected a performance like this in his first game. Always in the right place to make headers, tackles and clearances and used the ball very well too.

Godfrey 7.0: I barely noticed him today, and when you can say that about a centre back you know you've had a good day. Proactive rather than reactive for a change. Good performance but outshone by the man next to him.

Byram 7.0: Did what he needed to in defence and got forward well when needed too. How did he not score with that header, though?

Tettey 7.0: His usual disciplined self. Never out of position and kept things ticking over in possession. 

Trybull 6.5: Did a good job of protecting the defence and didn't allow himself to be overpowered as has been the case too often recently. 

Cantwell 7.5: Excellent. Retained possession well when he needed to, came close to opening the scoring in the first half and took his goal very, very well when the opportunity arose. Very mature, composed performance.

McLean 6.5: Didn't offer too much with the ball aside from the through ball to set Hernandez away in the first half, but worked very hard and intelligently without it.

Hernandez 7.0: His usual dangerous, tricky self. Very good dribbling that put the Everton defence under pressure persistently but the final ball wasn't present often enough. Tracked back well today.

Pukki 6.5: No chances today, but not much in the way of service. Worked the channels very well and created the goal for Cantwell. 

Subs:

Buendia 6.5: Helped keep things tight and his driving run provided the second goal.

Amadou N/A

Srbeny 6.5: Had possession once, and scored with it. A very good finish and he deserves it for keeping his head down and working hard even when he has known for over a year there's no chance of a start. Who needs Drmic, anyway?

Agree mostly with these Wacky. 

Byram, Zimbo and Cantwell looked great.

However I would say that 6.5 for Kenny is a touch harsh. I thought his all round display warranted being at least level with someone like Tettey, and probably mentioned amongst the most solid efforts of the day.

But that's the beauty of differing opinions, nice write up 👍

Edited by Flying Dutchman
  • Like 1

Paddy Davitt gave McLean 9 and MotM! I didn't think he was quite that good, but certainly better than 6.5. Thought Byram, Zimbo and Todd were the top performers personally.

Edited by Feedthewolf

Were you at Goodison Wacky? I was and while I’d give Cantwell MoM, I think I’d put McLean 2nd. I’d go be more credit to Pukki for the assist for Todd’s goal too, despite having two Everton players practically standing on his boots, his pass was perfectly weighted.

So you didn't see his header down from a long ball to Pukki to lay it into Todd's path.

Agree with everyone. Exceptionally harsh on McLean and also harsh on Byram, Both of whom, I thought were excellent and deserved more.

The person I barely noticed was Trybull. I can't decide if that's a reason to criticise or commend his performance.

Kenny's performance yesterday had all the hallmarks of that Cardiff game in the cup when Steipermann played AM and we suddenly found our attacking answer. It's a very exciting development and IMO is now his position to lose.

He also comes with that added Holt-esque benefit of really getting under the opposition's skin with his antics, which is a bonus.