Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

The Todd Cantwell Appreciation Society

3 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

And I think you do actually know this as you point out in your final sentence those who would have done so haven't made an appearance in this thread.

Well that is the point. Those who just want to moan appear when it suits them. But those of us who post on the match thread during the game also contribute to other things. So the OP's point is lost on them because they won't bite.

And right on cue it turned up in the very next post from yours. 

Mr T Cantwell did a really excellent and most professional job of turning on the City's Christmas Lights recently......I cheered and applauded with the excited onlooking and gathered thousands.......(Todd pulled the light switch without wearing gloves)......I also chortled when one of the insignificant pundits (after Todd's post match interview on MOTD) described Todd as one of Santa's little helpers as young Todd had a bright red woolly hat on.......marvellous......

Exceptional finish by Santa's little helper against Everton on Saturday gone.......(assisted by Teemu an' Kenny)......Long may Toddlin' Todd continue......

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

Wait til the end of the season after all one swallow doesn’t make a summer and even I would have converted that chance pukki did the hard work 

You wouldn’t have got through the gap.

10 hours ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

Wait til the end of the season after all one swallow doesn’t make a summer and even I would have converted that chance pukki did the hard work 

I think you'll  find its three swallows  already this  season. Doh!!!

• Haha 2

I must admit I didn't think Cantwell would cut it at PL level, and thought he was some way behind Aarons, Lewis and Godfrey in terms of ability and readiness. However, he's probably been the best of the four so far (although Godfrey has done a great job of keeping it together at CB without a established partner alongside him). He's consistently performing well, even in a team that (until Saturday) wasn't getting results. Hopefully the win at Everton will keep him moving forwards.

Cantwell did well Saturday and put in a proper shift. Was rightly criticized earlier in the season, albeit in a harsher fashion that what was needed (quite often on this forum). It remains to be seen whether he can remain at the level required going forward and if he can he'll be one of first names on the teamsheet.

1. Todd Cantwell

Norwich

253 per goal

1011 played

4 Goals scored

2 Assists

Shots on target

Total

60%
  2. James Maddison

Leicester

286 per goal

1144 played

4 Goals scored

2 Assists

Shots on target

Total

36%
  • Like 1

Yep, absolutely fantastic from Todd. I don't care what some of our fans say; seeing 'one of our own' perform like that is just....more enjoyable.

• Like 2

On 26/11/2019 at 12:35, Jobsworth Canary said:

Four swallows now Jobbo  !!!

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Four swallows now Jobbo  !!!

I have it on good authority the highlight of Jobbo's afternoon was when Toddwell got subbed.....

He need to go out on looooooooon!

Just watched the replay of his goal again and it was a really sweet finish. If only Kenny's chance had fallen to Todd I expect we'd have had 3 points today (and not a criticism of Kenny, he had a fantastic game too).

• Like 1

Once again his performance was picked out for special praise and analysis on MOTD last night and once again he is selected for Garth Crooks' Team of The Week. 

If only the standard of BBC punditry was as good as Todd's play though.

Mark Chapman's praise of Cantwell on MOTD was constantly interrupted by the frothing mentalist Keown blathering on about Arsenal and dear old Garth thinks that Cantwell scored in the second half. 

He's exceeded my expectations this season, I did think he had the potential to have this impact but not quite this soon. I honestly thought he'd be spending at least half of this season out on loan. 

I mean, he's had a couple of absolutely terrible games, but he appears to have transformed himself into a credible goal threat and his work rate has been tremendous. The difference between Todd Cantwell and a Murphy twin is that Cantwell just wants it enough to make it happen, he'll have a better career as a result. 

Really unlucky not to get a second when he burst into their box to try and pick up that loose ball, that's the level of desire we need from our players to get on the end of things.

At the moment he's well worth his place in the XI. 

To be fair, I thought a loan would do him good, but, in my defense I said a loan to a struggling club to toughen him up mentally because I didn't think he'd be in the first team as much this year, so he's had that toughening with us 😁

The statistical comparison with Maddison is interesting - but he's nowhere near that good yet. But he has upped his workrate noticeably in the last two games after looking lazy and lightweight in other games, so maybe he had a fitness issue and we are now seeing what he can really do. Really hope he keeps it up.

3 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

The statistical comparison with Maddison is interesting - but he's nowhere near that good yet. But he has upped his workrate noticeably in the last two games after looking lazy and lightweight in other games, so maybe he had a fitness issue and we are now seeing what he can really do. Really hope he keeps it up.

He's never looked lazy in our team.

8 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Lightweight maybe, but lazy? He's worked extremely hard in all of his appearances this season with regard to pressing and tracking back.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

He's never looked lazy in our team.

I disagree. In particular against Man United, his role was to cut out the diagonal pass from their right flank into Rashford which he did for the first two or three attempts before giving up. Watch the highlights.

19 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Todd is still a long way short of Maddison but then so is nearly everyone else.

Madders was the best I have ever seen in a City shirt for the midfield role. Todd is a different type of player and will certainly have a good Premier League career if he continues at the present rate.

And another really well taken goal on Saturday (he played a big part in the build up too).  Apparently Norfolk is going to be invaded by flocks of swallows next Summer...

Cantwell celebates v Wolves.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

I love this thread

Me too, talking to a Leicester fan this morning , first thing he said was " that Cantwell's a nice player" full of compliments  he was, about lots of our players and the way we play.  Then he went back to Cantwell, reckoned he looked really  hard to mark, never  considered that myself  , will watch out for it. 

• Like 1