Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

The Todd Cantwell Appreciation Society

Improved and praise today, of course, but players deserve criticism when they do badly. He still has a long way to go to develop into a top player - he still gets caught in possession too much and did today. Much better though overall.

That was a superbly well taken goal under immense pressure by Todd Cantwell. I'm sure he gave Pickford the eyes :classic_blink: just before slotting home.

He was excellent today and deserved his place back in the starting 11. With a proper defence our team can flourish with players like Cantwell and Hernandez 

• Like 4

He`s a young lad giving his all for City, played well today. The best players in the world make mistakes, Cantwell is a gifted young player and has probably received some unfair criticism. Yes sometimes he loses the ball, makes a bad pass etc but he has a certain quality about him. Some of our boys are very young and will only get better. We should support them not knock them.

Edited by daisy
  • Like 3

He was great today and his work rate and commitment was immense. 

But what he could do with is a bit more consistency. I think that whole midfield was really disciplined today, impressed. 

Tettey also great, he keeps on going. Will get another year at this rate. 

I've watched every minute of every game this season and Todd has been worthy of criticism based on recent performances but today he is worthy of praise. He made some errors in the first half but was awesome in the second and after his goal, he was absolutely everywhere on the pitch. 

If you compare with Buendia; he has also received criticism for his errors and was dropped to the bench.  That's good for him at this stage and will help his development in the long term.  The same is true for Todd, he has had a couple of games on the bench and it has paid dividends with an accomplished performance today.

• Like 4

Fantastic performance from Cantwell today. That tackle on Schneiderlin was no nonsense as well. Can't see many people criticising Todd for today's performance.

Yes he was excellent. I still think in this brave new world of social media criticism from a few loonies often gets blown out of proportion. But we're watching Todd become a man this season and he's gonna be some player.

For a young player playing this level for the first time he has had a very very good start to the season. Does not deserve some of the ridiculous stuff aimed in his direction but then neither do any of our players. It wont stop though. Some decided last season Todd wasnt good enough and rather than admit they might be wrong they just stay quiet until he has a poor game which all our players will do sometimes at this level and use that as reason for their inane ramblings.

Popped up all over the pitch today making crucial tackles and laying off the ball. Kept the midfield ticking over and read the goal scoring situation really well. I think he has a very good footballing brain and he is going to get even better over time. My MoM today.

He has the balls to get in the positions where it hurts and has now scored a fair few goals attacking from that midfield position. Yes he makes mistakes but he doesn't hide. I love the fact we have we have a young lad from Dereham playing in the Premier League. Really good today.

• Like 1

First half hour he was muscled off the ball three times and twice tried silly flicks in our third of the pitch. If you want to ignore that then fine. Some silly twerp said something sarcastic about our criticism. But doesn't everyone make comments while watching or do Norwich supporters keep their mouths shut. If someone plays a bad ball I imagine everyone thinks "bad ball". Don't take it to heart so much. It is called observation.

He turned it around completely in the second half. His willingness to get forward against a team pushing forward was terrrific. But for goodness sake, say what you see at the time. And in the second half, it was well done Todd keep it up.

It is going to get silly if you can't say something about any player's performance.

I think there is a measure of him being a local lad that helps some opinions.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

First half hour he was muscled off the ball three times and twice tried silly flicks in our third of the pitch. If you want to ignore that then fine. Some silly twerp said something sarcastic about our criticism. But doesn't everyone make comments while watching or do Norwich supporters keep their mouths shut. If someone plays a bad ball I imagine everyone thinks "bad ball". Don't take it to heart so much. It is called observation.

He turned it around completely in the second half. His willingness to get forward against a team pushing forward was terrrific. But for goodness sake, say what you see at the time. And in the second half, it was well done Todd keep it up.

It is going to get silly if you can't say something about any player's performance.

No one is criticising anyone for making observations or having opinions on anything. Cantwell has had more than his fair share of criticism and that's the point being made here.

9/10 I here someone use the phrase 'local lad' it's being used by someone who thinks he avoids criticism because of it. I criticise and defend players regardless of where they are from and I imagine most on here do too.

27 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Popped up all over the pitch today making crucial tackles and laying off the ball. Kept the midfield ticking over and read the goal scoring situation really well. I think he has a very good footballing brain and he is going to get even better over time. My MoM today.

Mine too. I was struck by his passion too, he came over to us and gestured for more support, nice to know it makes a difference. That tackle was superb.

8 minutes ago, HertsCanary93 said:

Very well taken goal. Thought Teemu also did brilliantly to slip the ball through under pressure.

👍

Agreed, but the story in the meeja will be that he hasn't scored.

If he was less creative and only ever looked for the safe ball he’d probably come in for far less criticism. Yes it’s frustrating when players like him and Buendia give the ball away sometimes but that’s a risk of the way they play.

He had a good game today and it was a lovely finish for the goal.

35 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Yeah, Hoolahan used to do similar things too. Yet he never really seemed to get the same level of criticism as our local lad from Dereham. I wonder why?

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

but players deserve criticism when they do badly. He still has a long way to go to become a top player. 

No they deserve encouragement, they don't deserve to be made the scapegoat for bad team performances or have their faults moaned about even when they play well. 

They have not done badly but just not come up to our high expectations because they have done so well previously.

Long way to go? He's scoring and creating goals in the top league and has played for England U21. 

Many clubs would pay good money to take him off our hands but not good enough for LDC. 

Well done Todd, another great contribution to an excellent win. 

Yeah, Hoolahan used to do similar things too. Yet he never really seemed to get the same level of criticism as our local lad from Dereham. I wonder why?

But not quite the same support for MacLean at times.

The real nasty criticism is not warranted or welcome. But today, Byram had a much better game at LB than Jamal did in his previous against Watford so deserves to start again IMO. That is an observation not unfair criticism.

But at Saturday tea times it is becoming familiar with Keith, Pete Vince posting for the only time in a week and then when we win its posts having a pop at those silly beggars. 

Just rejoice afterwards for having a great weekend.

Talking of Kenny. I have been a critic of his, but I thought playing further up the field helped him today. A very solid all-round game IMO.

2 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Agreed, but the story in the meeja will be that he hasn't scored.

He will start scoring again once we have that settled defence back, make no mistake.

Why does the word criticism have negative connotations  nowadays?  FFS, nothing wrong with criticisms,  positive or negative....as long as they are valid. Take Jobsworh  and a couple of other eejits out of the equation and there has been valid criticism on both sides regardingTodd. If I were to criticise Tim Krul  for todays performance,  I'd say he was immense,  commanding and solid.

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Like 2

I wear my shirt with pride and i truly believe in the talents of Todd. Yes he is young and is learning at the highest level, but what a future he has !!

Quite superb today. His energy and pace is something we have needed. He deserves tomorrow's headlines.

20190924_201813.jpg

2 hours ago, curious yellow said:

Long way to go? He's scoring and creating goals in the top league and has played for England U21. 

Of course he has a long way to go. He still has a heck of a lot to learn. I see a young player of tremendous talent, but one that is still on a steep learning curve. He needs to keep his feet on the ground as he is still prone to making errors, which the likes of Maddison rarely did, so if he wants to be a top, top player like Maddison, he needs to improve.

He did great today but gushing adulation with no hint of criticism is not going to help him. I have made no scapegoat of him and I hope I never do with any of our players, but criticism is fine if it is justified - and with Todd this season, there is some justification for that criticism.  Great prospect and one we should support to the hilt, but he is not immune from critisism, just like any other player who steps on the pitch.

• Like 1