Bradwell canary

Differential in perspective in PL

Jose salary at Spurs £15m.

Our transfer outlay around £1m

what chance do we stand of staying in the PL?

The uneven playing field get bigger every year.

• Like 1

Of course that's true, but let's not assume the constant binner stance of hating everything about the Premier League.Those who waved their notes in our faces now have total disdain for everything about the Premier League from the transfer fees to the wages paid. Boy! Do they absolutely hate the parachute payments,conveniently forgetting the fact that to claim them upon relegation a club needs to achieve promotion in the first place. An achievement which has eluded them with appalling consistency over the years.

Let's also not confuse the financial clout of Tottenham FC as being the norm in the Premier League nowadays. It might not be far off and it might well emphasise our pauper status but we are not doomed yet. Others have survived whilst not being top six.

I am getting the impression that if we do go down again this season it might well be a relegation too far in the psyche of many City supporters. Yes we might well have been punching above our weight at times, but only slightly as our recent history suggests, but a repeated failure at the top level not only means a constant wasting of opportunities for the club to become bigger, to expand and actually win something of note but also leads to a questioning of the current regime. So near, yet so far seems to be a regular pattern.

In my way of thinking the current owners are, on balance, to be praised and admired.It has been a fun ride for the most part but if we turn out to be another 'one season wonder' team then it might well be that little bit too regular and expected leading to increased discontent and need for change. Revolution not evolution.

Make no mistake, if our stay at the top table is again brief it will be down to finances and finances only. Not injuries, not management, not tactics, not facilities and not "our lot." but financial clout.

Be careful what you wish for, however.

"Oi dort know what ter think."

The riddle of the Sphinx is easily solved in comparison to the riddle of the Delia.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Broad stairs quite agree with most of your well thought out reply.

But does our total lack of spend this season, give us a true feeling of a distinct lack of intent by the powers that be.

January will perhaps provide some answers, unless we are already doomed by then!

But one thing we can be sure of, is that our owners have a truly great love of our club, just a shame they aren’t mega rich

The "relegation too far" comment resonates with me.

I'm sure that if we go down then after a summer break I will get my mojo back and be ready to go again but post Watford and right at this moment I certainly feel a little bit "what's the point" about getting promoted at present. I think this is a slight risk the club needs to be aware of moving forward because a loss of enthusiasm/drive amongst the fan base would not be a good thing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Of course that's true, but let's not assume the constant binner stance of hating everything about the Premier League.Those who waved their notes in our faces now have total disdain for everything about the Premier League from the transfer fees to the wages paid. Boy! Do they absolutely hate the parachute payments,conveniently forgetting the fact that to claim them upon relegation a club needs to achieve promotion in the first place. An achievement which has eluded them with appalling consistency over the years.

Let's also not confuse the financial clout of Tottenham FC as being the norm in the Premier League nowadays. It might not be far off and it might well emphasise our pauper status but we are not doomed yet. Others have survived whilst not being top six.

I am getting the impression that if we do go down again this season it might well be a relegation too far in the psyche of many City supporters. Yes we might well have been punching above our weight at times, but only slightly as our recent history suggests, but a repeated failure at the top level not only means a constant wasting of opportunities for the club to become bigger, to expand and actually win something of note but also leads to a questioning of the current regime. So near, yet so far seems to be a regular pattern.

In my way of thinking the current owners are, on balance, to be praised and admired.It has been a fun ride for the most part but if we turn out to be another 'one season wonder' team then it might well be that little bit too regular and expected leading to increased discontent and need for change. Revolution not evolution.

Make no mistake, if our stay at the top table is again brief it will be down to finances and finances only. Not injuries, not management, not tactics, not facilities and not "our lot." but financial clout.

Be careful what you wish for, however.

"Oi dort know what ter think."

The riddle of the Sphinx is easily solved in comparison to the riddle of the Delia.

I am getting the impression it won't be.

Wonder what Jose did with his share of the £19.6 million pay off from Manure? Makes my £2.60 from Euromillions look a bit thin.

I think its time for us to just face facts. Yes its a good debate but how do you honestly cope in these circumstances? The trickle down effect of all this money just makes it harder.

OK, so I'm not a binner but I do hate everything about the Premier League (and UEFA/FIFA) and if that's OK with everybody I'll stick to my opinion thanks, whether you all think it's wrong or not.

I genuinely would rather there wasn't promotion and relegation to and from the Championship and would very happily never watch a Premier League match again, mainly because since the Premier League began it has sucked almost all the enjoyment from the game I used to love. The club which we managed to reconnect with after our last disastrous foray is already moving away from us again. That's much more important to me than being in the Premier League, watching puffed up prima donnas and waiting for some people near Heathrow to decide if it's a penalty or not; or going to matches at 2pm on a Sunday when most sensible people are still having a nice family lunch.

If you started with a clean sheet of paper and designed a league structure in which to play our national sport do you think you'd design what we currently have? Money and TV have destroyed it, and our FA have allowed them to.

The only downside to actually winning the Championship is that you then have to play in the god-awful Premier League for a season rather than being able to defend your title. We could sell those players who think they want to play in the PL so they can earn their millions of pounds a year for sitting on the bench or in the stands and support the new ones we bring in, just like we always have; and we can keep laughing at those multi-millionaires when they dive in the box or fail to qualify from their group again at the world cup.

I suspect I am in a minority of one, but I am very happy that we'll probably be back in the Championship next year and I can't wait.

• Like 4

OK, so I'm not a binner but I do hate everything about the Premier League (and UEFA/FIFA) and if that's OK with everybody I'll stick to my opinion thanks, whether you all think it's wrong or not.

I'm with you on that one

I think it's called evolution sgncfc.

Times change.

I do not think that you are in a minority of one, as it seems that many see it the way you do.

The fact that I sensed a little touch of the John Major "warm beer" speech in your posting is comforting rather than critical. Gerry Harrison and the highlights on a Sunday afternoon was once the treat of my week as well.

However, I will pick you upon one point:- "Money and TV have destroyed it."

If there was not an appreciative audience (worldwide) for today's fayre then it would not generate the money it does.

If there were not a ready made and rather large TV audience watching every game (worldwide) then all those television companies would not be interested in broadcasting it.

Like it or not, it is a success story.

Perhaps we would like the PL more if we were consistently more a part of it. I don't suppose many Leicester City supporters share your view, for now anyhow.

It's not just footballers who command these enormous riches either. Millions abound in the movie world and even third rate celebrities who eat insects in a jungle can demand the same because for some peculiar reason a lot of people want to watch them do it. 

Does the audience dictate the product or does the product dictate the audience? I suspect the former for the most part.

• Like 2

Does the audience dictate the product or does the product dictate the audience? I suspect the former for the most part.

Very debatable point. When change accelerated, the late 80's, football was at its lowest. We were at the top of the table and only averaged 17K. First TV contract in 1983 was £5M. 5 years late it was £44M.

Now it is so large that I would imagine it is worth more than all of football's revenue up to 1980. Virtually a century.

If people didn't want to pay to go in 1988, why do they want to pay £30 a month to watch it in TV now.

I don't know but it is something that creates a lot of debate and  I would suggest more against than for.

Ill health or lack of funds could force me to give up (but I usually find a way). But losing games or relegation never will.

Just watch people get all precious when I suggest such behaviour would be fickle and spoilt brat like.....

Edited by nutty nigel
  • Like 1

We seem to have developed a collective inferiority complex with regards the Premier League ... probably because of our notoriously brief excursions into it for nearly the last twenty years.

However there has always been the thickness of a sheet of paper that determines our fate ... whether an unfortunate striker signing (RVW) or a Simon Hooper, it has always been touch and go.

This time around it does seem that a degree of inevitability has crept in with the the support  emphasising lack of funds as being paramount as never before. 

In truth, management wise, player wise, support wise and infrastructure wise we have never been in a better place to succeed at the top level, yet we are in danger already.

It always seems to come down to finances and the finger inevitably points towards the hierarchy, like it or not. The very hierarchy who have been responsible for our manager, our system and our infrastructure in the first place.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Do you remember that Brian Clough would not allow the cameras in at Nottingham Forest . He said if that happened people would stop going to matches.

Well “old big head “was not often wrong, but he certainly got that one totally wrong.

The gap feels bigger this time around. Last time in the prem I felt we were more competitive, but that could just be nostalgia for the past or pessimism for the present.

On the topic of Spurs and us being competitive with them financially, I'm sure if you talked to their fans they will complain about not having the same resources as Liverpool, Utd or City etc., so it's all relative.

28 minutes ago, Peanuts said:

The gap feels bigger this time around.

It's only different because nearly every club has a good set up, which is what you have to have to be in the PL, whereas a few years ago there were probably four or five clubs that you could identify would struggle each season.  Let's not forget we are set up well too and with a little luck and a fit defence,  we might start to see an improvement. 

Being in the Prem was a lot more fun back when we were beating the reigning champions....

I would have liked to see how this squad would have done this season with a reasonable level of injuries.  I don't think there was any feeling of inevitability until we had all those injuries together.  The question now that we've got most of those players back is whether Farke can get the team performing again to last season's level.  The last few games would not have been good enough to do as well as last season in the Champs, never mind the Prem. 

Also most years there are quite a few Prem teams that are in a bit of a mess one way or another.  This time there are fewer than most seasons.