I was just reading the piece about Emi on the front page of this website and read this:

"At 22 years old he needs to be in an environment where he knows he won't be vilified for every error despite the best efforts of a small section of fans, which saw the player reportedly delete his social media accounts this week."

I mean... come on! Our own 'fans' trolling him online? What the fcuk is wrong with some people??!

I hate to say it but there really are some thickos who support this club.

I got ya back, Emi.

• Like 1

I do think some people don't remember just how bad it can be: the end of the Worthington period and the dreadful football that brought (singularly the worst game of football i have ever paid to watch when we lost 0-1 to Sheff Wednesday), Peter the Pointer playing it long to the shortest man in the league, Roeder selling everyone and replacing them with dreadful loan players.

This is a really good period of football for us, we are having a rough time but we have a young team playing passing / attacking football.

Be really careful what you wish for because I remember how bad it can be!

• Like 9

I would have thought it as likely that the trolls are binner supporters, but it makes little difference as the net effect is the same.  

Social media is a real issue in all walks of life - alongside the fantastic things, it does lend itself far too readily for those wanting to plumb the depths.

I don't know, BP. I have seen some ridiculous comments from our own supporters with regards to different players and Emi got crucifed on FB groups by some because of his mistake vs Watford.

They also tend to moan about him losing the ball and then flapping about and complaining rather than getting up and chasing back.

He's a young lad and I think some have short memories. He was fantastic for us last season, started off well this and I'm sure things will get better once confidence is back.

• Like 1

Trust me, it'll be a selection of our fans - the same one's that are all over this board like a rash when we lose, then disappear with victory. 

On a side-note i'm not sure footballers being on social media is a great thing. Private accounts to enjoy with their actual mates is great, but supposed 'fans' sending abuse every 10 seconds alongside our errm, older fanbase in particular wading through to find their partners instagram and plastering pictures all over the forum etc - none of that sounds ideal.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

I don't know, BP. I have seen some ridiculous comments from our own supporters with regards to different players and Emi got crucifed on FB groups by some because of his mistake vs Watford.

They also tend to moan about him losing the ball and then flapping about and complaining rather than getting up and chasing back.

He's a young lad and I think some have short memories. He was fantastic for us last season, started off well this and I'm sure things will get better once confidence is back.

There is some justification for criticism, as with any player - and the Watford error was a bad error - but I agree that the facebook groups, which seem to allow all sorts of abuse on them, do attract brainless numpties which spoil them for the rest of us. As for twitter, it just lends itself to allowing the worst elements of society a voice.

• Like 2

Yep, ‘social’ media – a self-sustaining social disaster, but so hard to know how to resist this kind of damage to decent folk’s lives. Engage with these people and that just throws petrol on their little fire – ignore them and they just up the ante with their sense of entitlement as they somehow think the lack of resistance is tantamount to approval. So all the grown-ups can do is trust in the club’s people management skills to keep Emi and other victims feeling the love.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, crispeduk said:

ignore them and they just up the ante with their sense of entitlement as they somehow think the lack of resistance is tantamount to approval.

Spot on, dude!

14 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

There is some justification for criticism, as with any player - and the Watford error was a bad error - but I agree that the facebook groups, which seem to allow all sorts of abuse on them, do attract brainless numpties which spoil them for the rest of us. As for twitter, it just lends itself to allowing the worst elements of society a voice.

Yep, it is quite possible to have an adult football debate (which by definition can include criticism), without stooping to personal vilification.  

55 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

I was just reading the piece about Emi on the front page of this website and read this:

"At 22 years old he needs to be in an environment where he knows he won't be vilified for every error despite the best efforts of a small section of fans, which saw the player reportedly delete his social media accounts this week."

I mean... come on! Our own 'fans' trolling him online? What the fcuk is wrong with some people??!

I hate to say it but there really are some thickos who support this club.

I got ya back, Emi.

Lets be honest about this- there is no 'environment' in football he can go to where this doesn't happen. It sucks and these 'fans' should know better but this isn't a Norwich City problem it is a football and social media problem.

It's a human failing born out of envy.

"Pain at the sight of another’s good fortune."  Aristotle.

Similar to 'scapegoating' and neither confined to social media nor football .... both of which, in their own way, provide ideal platforms for this least pleasurable of the seven deadly sins.

40 minutes ago, king canary said:

Lets be honest about this- there is no 'environment' in football he can go to where this doesn't happen. It sucks and these 'fans' should know better but this isn't a Norwich City problem it is a football and social media problem.

I think it's more to do with the pure savagery of their attacks. Players should be able to cope with criticism, sure, but unfortunately social media allows these fans to be pretty faceless and headbutt their keyboards until some really offensive stuff comes out. The same could be said with the whole Sterling vs Gomez thing which got blown way out of proportion online.

It is true that there isn't this 'safe environment' in football but for a player's own fans to criticise and chastise so much through social media, that it forces a player to shut down their accounts, is ridiculous.

Football and social media when mixed together has the tendancy to go up like Hiroshima. 

You'd have to pretty daft to be writing deeply offensive comments with all the media and police attention social media receives these days. I'm not sure why anyone would want to anyway. 

1 hour ago, BobLoz3 said:

I think it's more to do with the pure savagery of their attacks. Players should be able to cope with criticism, sure, but unfortunately social media allows these fans to be pretty faceless and headbutt their keyboards until some really offensive stuff comes out. The same could be said with the whole Sterling vs Gomez thing which got blown way out of proportion online.

It is true that there isn't this 'safe environment' in football but for a player's own fans to criticise and chastise so much through social media, that it forces a player to shut down their accounts, is ridiculous.

Yes I totally agree. My point wasn't that the player should be able to cope, more that the initial quote about him going to an 'environment' where that doesn't happen won't happen.

3 hours ago, Jack Barak said:

I do think some people don't remember just how bad it can be: the end of the Worthington period and the dreadful football that brought (singularly the worst game of football i have ever paid to watch when we lost 0-1 to Sheff Wednesday), Peter the Pointer playing it long to the shortest man in the league, Roeder selling everyone and replacing them with dreadful loan players.

This is a really good period of football for us, we are having a rough time but we have a young team playing passing / attacking football.

Be really careful what you wish for because I remember how bad it can be!

In fairness to Reoder, he was given a summer transfer budget and it was taken away... So he had no choice but to fill gaps with cheap loanees.

He was a prat but he was stitched up there. 

18 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

In fairness to Reoder, he was given a summer transfer budget and it was taken away... So he had no choice but to fill gaps with cheap loanees.

He was a prat but he was stitched up there. 

Eh?

12 minutes ago, king canary said:

Eh?

The Turner's had promised to put in another £1.5m in the summer of 2008 on top of the £2.5m they'd lent the club the previous summer.

But they reneged on that and walked away, and it meant we had a black hole to fill. It messed up Roeders transfer business.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

Trust me, it'll be a selection of our fans - the same one's that are all over this board like a rash when we lose, then disappear with victory.

A true bunch of cnuts

• Like 1

Is there actually any evidence that getting abuse from our fans (or indeed anyone) was the reason Buendia deleted his Instagram account. Stiepermann did the same at around the same time. 

All I've seen is fans immediately jumping to the conclusion that he had received abuse from our fans and using it as a stick to beat our fanbase with which seems to be a favourite past time of many on line these days. A bit like those who trawl social media to find one critical comment about a player and then reply to it, copying in said player so they immediately become aware of it.

Of course he may well have had some criticism but its also possible that the club have got the players together in the break and told them they need to be more focussed and less distracted by things like social media. Its not always our fans that are to blame for everything.

He has done the right thing and closed the accounts. Apart from this site, I am not on any other social media site or forum. And the amount of abuse that some people get on here is huge so I can guess what the sports people get. But the wisest thing is don't leave yourself open to it.

As an Argentinian, I am sure Emi would have been aware of the importance of the game to some. Going to a Boca Juniors versus River Plate is not a Tea Dance.

I also dont use any 'social media ' , other than  this board.  This place is more like a pub where people come and go, some  just want to discuss, others try to convince  the whole pub that they are right, that's ok because  there enough  sharp cookies on here to rein them in.What really gets my back up though is the disguising of opinion as fact ...and that's where the instas,  snapchats and FB groups really need to tighten up . People seem to get away with  quite a severe amount of abuse that unless  its outright racism, sexism etc . Seems to go on unchecked,  let alone censored.  The main problem is that it gives a chance for users to say, insinuate and declare  pretty much anything to pretty much anyone.  Things  that 99% of them  would never say directly to the face of the recipient of their  anger/ disapointment/ frustration/ envy etc.

It's a wonderful tool if used correctly  but is also a place where cowards lurk, bigots and bullies enjoy virtual anonymity. ....and that can't be a good thing.

Edited by wcorkcanary

33 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

It's a wonderful tool if used correctly  but is also a place where cowards lurk, bigots and bullies enjoy virtual anonymity. ....and that can't be a good thing.

This bit, particularly, hits the nail on the head Corky.

I love using social media and think it's a fantastic thing. I'm happy we can all be connected, we can get news really quickly, we can create our own stories in our heads from a simple post which may seem telling but probably isn't really, etc. However you're exactly right in saying it's faceless and those who post horrid tripe and aim it at others can escape retribution. That isn't right. There has to be some way of holding them accountable but, of course, it's all rather tricky to do that. I think censorship is **** (see what I've done here?) But I also think that if people can't respect their fellow human's lives, opinions or preferences and decide to spout off on social media there has to be some way of pulling them up on it and trying to make them realise the errors of their ways.

I suspect some never will, though.

Edited by BobLoz3

7 hours ago, crispeduk said:

Yep, it is quite possible to have an adult football debate (which by definition can include criticism), without stooping to personal vilification.  

I struggle to reconcile this comment with your presence on this message board. 🤔

• Haha 2

Flipping love Emi, i have not seen a player with his ability, tenacity at 22 look so comfortable. Do you know what he is going to get better

Somehow he is still top of the assists chart without a lack of goals

We have players in our team who have reached their peak or they have got that extra few % as the team has been good.

Emi is already one of our best players and his top level is still ahead for him with the right guidance and group around him