Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

Pochettino

1 hour ago, king canary said:

If you can show me an example of a player coming out and saying 'glad he's gone, didn't like his training' in the immediate aftermath of a sacking you might have a point.

The Athletic piece I'm talking about was written by David Ornstein and Jack Pitt Brooke neither of whom are 'dodgy' journalists. I take a well-sourced and well-written report over a players highly PR'd and airbrushed social media any day of the week.

Both are designed to make money. I like the Athletic and pieces are well written but 'reports' are another word for 'rumours' which often becomes another word for 'completely made up but fits well enough that I can get away with saying it'.

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Both are designed to make money. I like the Athletic and pieces are well written but 'reports' are another word for 'rumours' which often becomes another word for 'completely made up but fits well enough that I can get away with saying it'.

No they aren't.

It is pretty easy to work out which journalists have actual sources and can talk to players. David Ornstein in particular is well-regarded journalists with lots of contacts in North London football. He's got a track record that suggests he's not some tabloid hack making up transfer rumours for the Daily Star.

A player who is/was unhappy with a particular manager is much more likely to agree to an off the record chat with a reporter than they would be to tweet it out. You'd have to be pretty naive to think otherwise.

I think this Victor Anichebe incident sums up the worth of looking at footballers social media feeds for anything other than bland PR guff.

51 minutes ago, king canary said:

No they aren't.

It is pretty easy to work out which journalists have actual sources and can talk to players. David Ornstein in particular is well-regarded journalists with lots of contacts in North London football. He's got a track record that suggests he's not some tabloid hack making up transfer rumours for the Daily Star.

A player who is/was unhappy with a particular manager is much more likely to agree to an off the record chat with a reporter than they would be to tweet it out. You'd have to be pretty naive to think otherwise.

I think this Victor Anichebe incident sums up the worth of looking at footballers social media feeds for anything other than bland PR guff.

Your clicky linky didnt  open for me Kaceyo, is it my end or yours that's not  working?

1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

Your clicky linky didnt  open for me Kaceyo, is it my end or yours that's not  working?

Not you corky, doesn’t work for me either

Just now, FenwayFrank said:

Not you corky, doesn’t work for me either

Ah, cool, cheers Franko. Would like to read it if anyone  can hook me up.

I have to say Im really surprised they appointed Mourinho. I thought he was finished in England, Im amazed he has walked into another job. 

Mourinho in his first spell at Chelsea was passionate, enigmatic and charismatic. He energised players who would run through walls for him. See Drogba and at Inter Materazzi in tears at him leaving. 10 years later and he is unrecognisable. Embittered, think skinned, miserable. What used to be his strength in galvanising players is now his biggest fault. The collapse at Chelsea seemed to begin with his treatment of the players and later the club Doctor whom the players supported. As David O'Leary at Leeds showed, once you lose the dressing room it's over, and Chelsea came close to being relegated that season, in a spell where he was trying to prove he was more than just a chequebook manager and was trying to carve something out. Rafa Benitez's wife had some interesting comments about him 'We consider ourselves the clean up crew. 3 times Rafa has succeeded him to clear up his mess.

Mourinho has become toxic. He burns players out then jettisons them. Youth never gets a chance, he's only interested in ready-made players at great expense. The culture he develops within a club is toxic (a far cry from his first Chelsea spell). I think this season we have learned that Solksjaer is a busted flush and his great run last season was simply him not being Mourinho, and the players having the Mourinho environment lifted. Sudden bounce effect, enjoying their football, but eventually that wears off and the players return to base, which is what we're seeing now.

I thought that we had enough evidence in English football of what he does at a club to override the primacy effect of his first spell, which he has traded off for years. His spell at Man Utd was disastrous quite frankly and Im very surprised Tottenham have gone this route.

Dele Alli has been way below his best for a while now, no idea what's behind it though.  Also the Christian Eriksen thing has coincided with Spurs' downturn in results.  There are probably more things too.