Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

Pochettino

Not surprised tbh. Wonder who they have lined up? Maybe Mourinho

10 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Why is no-one surprised? Do a good job and it is forgotten in 12 games.

I’ve not got the stats at hand but his record this whole calendar year has been poor. 

Edited by JF

They’ve been poor in the league for a long time now and, to be honest, after that first couple of seasons where they challenged for the title, they’ve stagnated really. He hasn’t looked overly interested either for a little while.

To Man Utd or Real Madrid in the summer would be my guess for him. 

Mourinho and Howe mentioned as favourites - Mourinho doesn’t really fit their way of playing. Howe, I’d like to see given a crack at it, but not sure he’ll get the chance.

• Like 1

Not at all surprised. Bill made a thread, something like the "sack race" it was called, and I said Pochettino. This was on the basis of a Spurs fan I know whining the whole summer about all things bad at Tottenham. It's not been a happy place for some while.

• Like 1

Eddie Howe ? Can’t see him turning it down if he gets the chance? Can’t see Levy going for the Special One - massive financial gambles don’t seem his thing. Mourinho would want a serious war chest and a suite in The Ritz... 

2 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Eddie Howe ? Can’t see him turning it down if he gets the chance? Can’t see Levy going for the Special One - massive financial gambles don’t seem his thing. Mourinho would want a serious war chest and a suite in The Ritz... 

A suite in the RITZ?......must be crackers......

1 hour ago, JF said:

I’ve not got the stats at hand but his record this whole calendar year has been poor. 

Bit harsh considering they got to the Champions League final.

52 minutes ago, Aggy said:

They’ve been poor in the league for a long time now 

They've still finished in the top four for four seasons in a row, and considering they were never Champions League regulars pre-Pochettino, that's impressive.

On the whole, Pochettino did an excellent job at Spurs. He turned an inconsistent team into Champions League regulars, promoted youth and played good football. His only black mark will be the failure to win a trophy.

However, as Aggy said, they've been stagnating for a while as they haven't really changed the core of the side for a few years (which isn't Pochettino's fault) and it's finally caught up with them as they've slipped backwards this season. I'd argue that freshening up the playing squad was more needed that changing the coach, and that should've been done over the past 18 months or so, but obviously changing the coach is far quicker and easier. 

I'm sure Pochettino will find another top coaching gig somewhere and Spurs are now going to have a real job on their hands to find someone better. I hope it works out well for both parties though because I like Pochettino and Spurs are one of the more likeable 'big six' clubs.

• Like 1

A good coach and manager, 12 games of hardship ... out!

Mourinho , the plumber... 

That's what top PL football has become about , few bad results , damage to reputation of the club and fulfilment of the ambitions (which are too high, Spurs will not win anything 😉 ) -> manager has to go and successor has been lined up already

sad really , I rate him highly 

Edited by ROBFLECK

Spurs had two chances to win the two biggest pieces of silverware, the champs league this year and the premier league the year Leicester won it. They should have beaten Liverpool who had a off night, and failing to beat teams like Newcastle at home when they were bottom have cost them the premier league. Cant see any change with Mourinho in charge, would have been a gamble but Eddie Howe would have been a good choice and deserves a chance at a bigger club.

Such a shame. I think Potch was the best manager they've had there in years.

Can't see Jose making much of a difference, aside from the fact they'll now play more defensively and will be BORING to watch.

38 minutes ago, PHILIP COOK said:

Spurs had two chances to win the two biggest pieces of silverware, the champs league this year and the premier league the year Leicester won it. They should have beaten Liverpool who had a off night, and failing to beat teams like Newcastle at home when they were bottom have cost them the premier league. Cant see any change with Mourinho in charge, would have been a gamble but Eddie Howe would have been a good choice and deserves a chance at a bigger club.

Good points, but Eddie Howe is apparently at a club with ambition etc. He's also bit of a homebird. Not sure if I was him that I'd be tempted to go to Spurs. Levi's transfer / contract policy is very hard-line. His attitude seems to be, ' I'll sort the players, you get on with coaching' ...not sure how that'll work with moaninho. Should be fun to watch another slow motion car crash with Jose at the wheel.

1 hour ago, spencer 1970 said:

...and Jose is in. Modern toss football at it's most mental.

Yep, hilarious appointment. A spent force in every way, how spurs think he will help them, I don't know. Man utd fans are incredulous - he was worse than useless at creating anything there. 

Madness.

According to reporting the players had grown sick of Pochettino for his overly aloof and disciplinarian attitude. How you rectify that with Mourinho is beyond me.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, king canary said:

Madness.

According to reporting the players had grown sick of Pochettino for his overly aloof and disciplinarian attitude. How you rectify that with Mourinho is beyond me.

I don't think those reports coincide with players who have spoken out on social media etc so far.

15 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

So Levy has, and had already , gone for the Special One. This seems unlike him and a change in direction. Mourinho has been a short term success at most places, but then becomes bigger than the Club. If this gets them into the Champions League then it will be considered a success. 

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

I don't think those reports coincide with players who have spoken out on social media etc so far.

Yes as players are always totally upfront and transparent on social media.

32 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yes as players are always totally upfront and transparent on social media.

Actively posting about how much appreciation and how much they'll miss the manager vs reports by dodgy journalists. 

Basically pick and choose which one you wanna believe, they're about as believable as one another.

14 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Actively posting about how much appreciation and how much they'll miss the manager vs reports by dodgy journalists. 

Basically pick and choose which one you wanna believe, they're about as believable as one another.

If you can show me an example of a player coming out and saying 'glad he's gone, didn't like his training' in the immediate aftermath of a sacking you might have a point.

The Athletic piece I'm talking about was written by David Ornstein and Jack Pitt Brooke neither of whom are 'dodgy' journalists. I take a well-sourced and well-written report over a players highly PR'd and airbrushed social media any day of the week.