TeemuVanBasten

Delia is 78, MWJ's is 78

14 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I don't think age has anything to do with it.  78 is just a number and if you have the energy and desire to continue achieving things as you get older, then other people speculating about you retiring or selling up is just irrelevant. There are numerous people in their 80's and 90's still active in their chosen field, so if you have it within you, then it doesn't matter if you are 25 or 95. 

If Trump wins the 2020 election he will be 79 by the time his term in office ends, and if it's Biden he will be 83. Mind you, owning Norwich City Football club is a much more important and demanding job than being President of the United States...

Just now, PurpleCanary said:

If Trump wins the 2020 election he will be 79 by the time his term in office ends, and if it's Biden he will be 83. Mind you, owning Norwich City Football club is a much more important and demanding job than being President of the United States...

To be fair age is a key part of the discussion in the democratic primary- most voters' main concern with Biden is his age and similar numbers are concerned about Sanders age (along with other things).

4 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I don't think age has anything to do with it.  78 is just a number and if you have the energy and desire to continue achieving things as you get older, then other people speculating about you retiring or selling up is just irrelevant. There are numerous people in their 80's and 90's still active in their chosen field, so if you have it within you, then it doesn't matter if you are 25 or 95. 

I completely agree. I’m just saying that simply quoting a person’s age does not, nor should it, automatically constitute ageism.

27 minutes ago, CirclePoint said:
5 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I completely agree. I’m just saying that simply quoting a person’s age does not, nor should it, automatically constitute ageism.

The implication is that because of their age they will be moving on as the op says "in the forseeable future", but that is just speculation and for some (including I suspect the op) wishful thinking.

Maybe you're right that it is not ageism, maybe it's just a little insensitive to title a thread "Deila is 78, MJW is 78" as if it is some kind of issue, because it really isn't. They are plainly in it for the long haul because if they weren't they would have given up before now.  I hope they are at the club for many years more. I have musician friends who are still in their prime in their 80's, my mother is a tour de force still in her mid 90's and it is only younger people who look at older people as if they are incapable or on their last legs.  If you've got the ability and desire, it doesn't matter what age you are. 

19 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

The implication is that because of their age they will be moving on as the op says "in the forseeable future", but that is just speculation and for some (including I suspect the op) wishful thinking.

Maybe you're right that it is not ageism, maybe it's just a little insensitive to title a thread "Deila is 78, MJW is 78" as if it is some kind of issue, because it really isn't. They are plainly in it for the long haul because if they weren't they would have given up before now.  I hope they are at the club for many years more. I have musician friends who are still in their prime in their 80's, my mother is a tour de force still in her mid 90's and it is only younger people who look at older people as if they are incapable or on their last legs.  If you've got the ability and desire, it doesn't matter what age you are. 

I absolutely agree. My grandmother is 94 and would turn me on a dime in a conversation!

18 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Don't hear many people saying Sir David Attenborough is 'past it' at 93.

Sigh.

Nobody said Delia and MWJ were past it...

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Sigh.

Nobody said Delia and MWJ were past it...

I'm not saying anyone did say they were past it. I'm just saying that Sir David is still doing what he's doing incredibly well at the age of 93.

On the subject of 'little old ladies' my mam will be 95 next year, she only gave up delivering meals on wheels ten years ago. Last time we were having a sherry together have told me she was at one time delivering meals to people ' young enough to be her grandchildren'.... Just.  A strong believer in getting on with it and rolling up your sleeves, at 94 she's still as sharp as a tack and although walking slower than she used to, is a prime example of not letting your age define you. We could have another 15 or 20 years of Delia...if she felt up to it. The Queen is around the same age as my mam and she's not to old to give Andrew a slap on the back of the legs.

• Like 1