East Rider

England look better with......

3 minutes ago, Norfolk Dan said:

Harry Kane has a NCFC tattoo? 

I thought it was common knowledge that Kane has a 'City 4 ever' tatt on his upper left arm. A reminder of his outrageous behaviour when he was with us I believe.

Funny but they look far better without Sterling, maybe he’s too much of a distraction to have in the team?

14 minutes ago, Indy said:

Funny but they look far better without Sterling, maybe he’s too much of a distraction to have in the team?

I think that tonight it had more to do with the (lack of) quality of the opposition. With Sterling on I have no doubt the score line would have been similar, they just couldn’t deal with pace.

12 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Madders didn’t do anything wrong on his debut, and presumably gained us a £million or two in the process 👍🙂

£1m with £100k of that going to Coventry, according to Cov local press. 

Southgate said earlier that Madders doesn't really fit into his system but I would have thought his 4-3-3 system suits the lad perfectly. International football has changed from the slow, possession based style and is now more about keeping the pressure on the opposition, especially the weaker teams like Montenegro.

And Madders is always looking for the ball and to do something with it rather than the Henderson sideways.

And Winks reminds me of Scott Parker at his best and would protect Madders like Parker did Modric.

I always interpreted the Maddison deal as being £22m up front (or whatever) rising to £25m upon appearances and full international recognition.

On top of that the sell-on clause (20%?) will apply if he is sold by Leicester with profit.

It seems as if the last drop of the performance money has been realised so we must now hope that the previously mentioned/speculated sale of the player to Man.U. for £80m is next on the cards.

He only seemed to actually be at the club for five minutes but young James will have benefited the club for years if things go to plan.

Despite all the hype surrounding some of our young players, Lewis, Godfrey, Aarons and Cantwell currently, I cannot really envisage any of those reaching the amount that Maddison seems destined to be sold for.

14 hours ago, Indy said:

I go all England games are you serious ?.

We were all saying we dread to think what the score would be with Sterling playing ?. Sterling is a real world class player the best we have produced for years. Montenegro really were shocking, possibly the worse team I have seen at Wembley. We won’t be winning anything without Sterling in the team.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Well b back said:

I go all England games are you serious ?.

We were all saying we dread to think what the score would be with Sterling playing ?. Sterling is a real world class player the best we have produced for years. Montenegro really were shocking, possibly the worse team I have seen at Wembley. We won’t be winning anything without Sterling in the team.

He was pants against the Czechs! Seriously the team looked far more fluid with the ball moving to all parts of the front line.

Everytime Sterling players we bypass everyone else and look for Sterling.

Yesterday that team clicked, looked very good, sometimes one player can take away from a team, the sum of the parts looked better without him.

But that’s just my opinion, he certainly wouldn’t be missed with that front line last night.

Had last night been a serious game against a serious team Sterling would have played.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Indy said:

Well generally teams do try to get the ball to their best/most dangerous player(s).

And Sterling is one of the most dangerous players around.

15 hours ago, East Rider said:

a certain ex city player now in their ranks.

If he scores will he reveal his NCFC tattoo?

The game was dead by the time he came on and the first 10 minutes of the 2nd half were as dull as anything. Slight improvement once he was on but whether that was down to him or not I couldn’t tell.

It would have been nice to see him on from the start but I don’t think we’ll see him ahead of any of the others, as Southgate doesn’t seem to rate him.

6 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

The game was dead by the time he came on and the first 10 minutes of the 2nd half were as dull as anything. Slight improvement once he was on but whether that was down to him or not I couldn’t tell.

It would have been nice to see him on from the start but I don’t think we’ll see him ahead of any of the others, as Southgate doesn’t seem to rate him.

I think we're talking about two different ex-City players on this thread.

Harry Kane had an unsuccessful loan spell here under Chris Hughton, if he has a City tattoo that would be bizarre !  I remember seeing a City fan at a game during Kane's loan spell with a "Kane" shirt and mentioning that I'd seen this on here, and the fan in question posted to say he was a relative of Harry Kane's, so he must be pretty pleased with how Mr Kane's career has subsequently progressed !

James Maddison as we all know came through in Farke's first season having been recruited & loaned out by Alex Neil and was a brilliant player in a pretty indifferent season, the money we got for him quite simply allowed us to balance the books last season.  I agree he didn't really have much chance to make an impact last night as Montenegro were pretty much in damage limitation mode by then, personally I can see him improving more and making a bigger contribution for England but it's always hard to predict who will make the step up internationally and who won't.

1 hour ago, Indy said:

He was pants against the Czechs! Seriously the team looked far more fluid with the ball moving to all parts of the front line.

Yesterday that team clicked, looked very good, sometimes one player can take away from a team, the sum of the parts looked better without him.

But that’s just my opinion, he certainly wouldn’t be missed with that front line last night.

Without him we win nothing. Strangely Portugal looked to give the ball to Ronaldo last night ( from the highlights I have seen ) and Barcelona seem to give the ball to Messi as that’s what happens when you are the best player usually on the pitch. It’s strange how in this country we despise our best players and try to do them down wether it’s club football or country. Look at Tim Krul if it was left to the fans we would not be playing him this year despite him looking class from 1/2 way through last season. I remember the why have we signed this Pukki guy ?. At the moment Aaron’s is getting a bit of stick yet I was talking to a Spurs fan last night who can’t wait till he is part of their set up. 

Wish Sterling played for us.

They were shocking yet they still managed to rip our defence apart 3 times.

Sterling is a class player who if fit should always start.. I’m more concerned about the lack of class central defenders even Mcguire does not look as good as he was before he got his big move.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, clever trevor said:

Sterling is a class player who if fit should always start.. I’m more concerned about the lack of class central defenders even Mcguire does not look as good as he was before he got his big move.

Spot on. Unfortunately this is why I don’t think we will win the Euros ( hope I am wrong ). There is an argument however that the way they play just like our own Norwich leaves you open at times so you always concede goals. 

2 hours ago, clever trevor said:

On 15/11/2019 at 14:07, Well b back said:

Without him we win nothing. Strangely Portugal looked to give the ball to Ronaldo last night ( from the highlights I have seen ) and Barcelona seem to give the ball to Messi as that’s what happens when you are the best player usually on the pitch. It’s strange how in this country we despise our best players and try to do them down wether it’s club football or country. Look at Tim Krul if it was left to the fans we would not be playing him this year despite him looking class from 1/2 way through last season. I remember the why have we signed this Pukki guy ?. At the moment Aaron’s is getting a bit of stick yet I was talking to a Spurs fan last night who can’t wait till he is part of their set up. 

Wish Sterling played for us.

They were shocking yet they still managed to rip our defence apart 3 times.

Unfortunately as good as everyone thinks Sterling is and don’t get me wrong on his day a world class player, he’s the epitome of an England luxury player who is a must but ultimately doesn’t help England take that top trophy. Beckham and Rooney come to mind as must play and never took us to that next step.

As a front three Sancho, Rashford  and Kane look more complete forwards and complement each other. Still each to their own opinions, Rashford is becoming a really good player.

Absurd to describe Sterling as a luxury player.

He also has an excellent understanding with Kane.

How is it absurd, he’s a luxury player, he doesn’t come back to defend, Rashford out there tracks back, when he plays he’s either outstanding or non existent, to be honest there was a lot of criticism of Sterling during the last World Cup.

Sancho and Rashford each side of Kane give us huge benefits as they both have bags of pace, link up brilliantly and also importantly will drop deeper which allow overlapping or midfielders to go further forward when the opportunity is there.

Like I each have their own opinions.

He does track back but that's not what he's in the team for. He's in the team to hurt the opposition and he's become very good at that. Kane is obviously very good at sticking the ball in the net but Sterling is the one who brings it all together in the final third. Sancho is obviously a great prospect but Sterling delivers more.