Sign in to follow this  
ROBFLECK

Steer clear!

Of the message boards , tw@tter, FB , etc... that's what I told myself after the Watford debacle. I was too dissapointed and down and I didn't want to read the negative cr@p ... although I thought I would agree with many of it.

I think we will get relegated tbh , but I hope we won't. Yesterday I was talking to a few m8s and they said "if you want to be a Norwich supporter , you will have to accept the yoyo'ing..." There won't be any big money any time soon and the financial model is good for the club in the longer run. We've got a good youth setup... I suppose this is right and I can't see myself supporting another club. One of the guys is a Southampton fan and he says their club has been through hell too... Yet he thinks the Chinese owner saved the club and he is happy. I said I understood , yet I don't think I would like one owning NCFC.

He said the money is the only way to survive a longer time in the PL , he doesn't like it either ... yet he thinks it is unavoidable.

What do you posters on here think about the "accepting the yoyo'ing" statement? 

• Like 1

I’d say if you’re a supporter of anyone other than the elite 6 or 7 clubs you have to accept that relegation from the PL at some point is inevitable. What I struggle to accept is that we couldn’t have pushed the boat out just a little bit more than what we did

I think that we are in much better position than when our owners bought the club. After not initially upgrading the training & behind the scene facilities, they have now started improving those which is great. Unfortunately to have a chance of survival in the top league you need to attract better players & they unfortunately cost money. If you look at Sheffield United, they have kept the core of the side but spent £42m adding in a bit of quality and strengthening their weaker areas. I presume those transfer fees are staggered and they like us would have had to pay increased wages & bonuses. Our current owners do not have the money to do this so we will never know the true potential of the club (in my opinion). I would like to see what a good setup backed with a bit of investment could get us. Of course there are perils in this (Bad owners  racking up lots of debt - Portsmouth) but with the owners being such big fans, I can not see them allowing this to happen (surely all Delia's supporters would agree with that). 
Also, if the owners ask a decent price for the club then we would be a very attractive proposition for the right person / persons. Personally, having first visited Carrow Road in 1972, I would like an "update" on the successful (outside of the top flight) model but it's I have to admit kind of irrelevant as Delia & MWJ have stated, its going to Tom, so it will be more of the same, which i think is a pity and could put off the future generations of supporters. 

1 hour ago, ROBFLECK said:

He said the money is the only way to survive a longer time in the PL , he doesn't like it either ... yet he thinks it is unavoidable.

I think the first question you should ask is whether 'surviving in the Premier League' is the most important objective.

For me it most definitely is not - I dislike the Premier League (for many reasons) and much prefer to watch the Championship, especially when we are in it.

My main objective is to watch Norwich City play football, ideally exciting and entertaining football which is exactly what Farke has provided and Alex Neil too, for that matter.

The Premier League has nothing to do with sport, it is a business providing football based entertainment and if you think your club is participarting in a sporting competition whilst in the Premier League then you are always going to be disappointed. It is first, second and always a business and it is run in the interests not of football supporters but the business owners.

Of course I want to see NCFC do well and when we do very well in the Championship then we have to put up with a stay in the Premiership, but its exciting when we go up and it can often be pretty exciting when we go down.

Do I want to play every year in Premiership mid-table mediocrity, watching a bunch of mercenaries who have no real link to the club and are there for no reason other than the money??

No I ***** well don't - give me yo-yo every time.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

You need to get with the programme CM. Modern day football is about being in the PL and getting past 40 points so you can do exactly the same next season. This enables you to get more tv money every year. It enables you to play an active part in the sky sports transfer window so that the tv money goes into a few more players pockets. And of course their agents. It will attract a stinking rich investor who can afford to give more money to players and their agents before they take possession of the stadium and training ground rendering the club worthless. It's about how many times you can get on TV at ridiculous kick off times that are suitable for sky customers but cause all kinds of grief  to the clubs supporters. It's about paying a minimum of £30 to sit in the stadium watching the ref poke about in his ear for five minutes before you can celebrate a goal.

Then after 6 or 7 years of that you can go back to the championship and struggle financially in a league that's alien to the clubs set up and not what this stinking rich owner signed up for.

Far better than watching your team actually win trophies and Wembley finals and feeling a part of that success.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

It's about paying a minimum of £30 to sit in the stadium watching the ref poke about in his ear for five minutes before you can celebrate a goal.

😁

Maybe the refs should wear an aran sweater, souwester hat, sea-boots, oilskin bib an' trousers - and when sticking their fingers in their ears sing a sea shanty over the stadium PA "I was the Cap'n of the Nightingale!"....Musical accompaniment from the assistant referees playing a concertina, penny whistle and spare official a Bodhran drum.....Thus entertaining the impatient onlooking crowd whilst they await the decision of VAR......   

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

You need to get with the programme CM. Modern day football is about being in the PL and getting past 40 points so you can do exactly the same next season. This enables you to get more tv money every year. It enables you to play an active part in the sky sports transfer window so that the tv money goes into a few more players pockets. And of course their agents. It will attract a stinking rich investor who can afford to give more money to players and their agents before they take possession of the stadium and training ground rendering the club worthless. It's about how many times you can get on TV at ridiculous kick off times that are suitable for sky customers but cause all kinds of grief  to the clubs supporters. It's about paying a minimum of £30 to sit in the stadium watching the ref poke about in his ear for five minutes before you can celebrate a goal.

Then after 6 or 7 years of that you can go back to the championship and struggle financially in a league that's alien to the clubs set up and not what this stinking rich owner signed up for.

Far better than watching your team actually win trophies and Wembley finals and feeling a part of that success.

One of the best posts i've read in a while; was starting to lose faith in this forum what with a couple of posters in particular following me about without anything constructive to say.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, ROBFLECK said:

Of the message boards , tw@tter, FB , etc... that's what I told myself after the Watford debacle. I was too dissapointed and down and I didn't want to read the negative cr@p ... although I thought I would agree with many of it.

I think we will get relegated tbh , but I hope we won't. Yesterday I was talking to a few m8s and they said "if you want to be a Norwich supporter , you will have to accept the yoyo'ing..." There won't be any big money any time soon and the financial model is good for the club in the longer run. We've got a good youth setup... I suppose this is right and I can't see myself supporting another club. One of the guys is a Southampton fan and he says their club has been through hell too... Yet he thinks the Chinese owner saved the club and he is happy. I said I understood , yet I don't think I would like one owning NCFC.

Already relegated. Players know it, fans know it. Cant get anything from bottom of the league at home. Hope we dont go down but looks so so bleak.

1 hour ago, Old Shuck said:

Nice and easy. What CM said...

Nice and  Sleazy. That's what the Stranglers said. Does it every time.

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

I think the first question you should ask is whether 'surviving in the Premier League' is the most important objective.

For me it most definitely is not - I dislike the Premier League (for many reasons) and much prefer to watch the Championship, especially when we are in it.

My main objective is to watch Norwich City play football, ideally exciting and entertaining football which is exactly what Farke has provided and Alex Neil too, for that matter.

The Premier League has nothing to do with sport, it is a business providing football based entertainment and if you think your club is participarting in a sporting competition whilst in the Premier League then you are always going to be disappointed. It is first, second and always a business and it is run in the interests not of football supporters but the business owners.

Of course I want to see NCFC do well and when we do very well in the Championship then we have to put up with a stay in the Premiership, but its exciting when we go up and it can often be pretty exciting when we go down.

Do I want to play every year in Premiership mid-table mediocrity, watching a bunch of mercenaries who have no real link to the club and are there for no reason other than the money??

No I ***** well don't - give me yo-yo every time.

I understand what you're getting at and I feel the same way about the PL to be honest...yet I want our club to benefit from playing in it...(financially , our youth players benefiting from the experience...) I think the Championship is more fun to watch... By rule though, you want your club at the highest level possible...I think...

Edited by ROBFLECK

39 minutes ago, ricardo said:

As long as the string doesn't break, I'm fairly content with the Yo-Yo.

Exactly. Sustained yo-yo - with the chance of incremental upward progress -is so much better than championship quagmire  with occasional hope & occasional despair.

Still crossing fingers... but think we weren’t quite ready financially or quality wise to make the jump this time. I fear the effect of the key player losses next summer and just  trust they’ve meticulously planned for it

58 minutes ago, ricardo said:

As long as the string doesn't break, I'm fairly content with the Yo-Yo.

Yo-yo string breaking is one thing, wouldn't wish a Banjo string break on anyone ,even Mr Lamberk.

15 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

Exactly. Sustained yo-yo - with the chance of incremental upward progress -is so much better than championship quagmire  with occasional hope & occasional despair.

Still crossing fingers... but think we weren’t quite ready financially or quality wise to make the jump this time. I fear the effect of the key player losses next summer and just  trust they’ve meticulously planned for it

Exactly , Forty Seveno. As far as I can gather from the various statements since SW took over that is exactly what the plan is.  The management were as surprised as any rational fan that we did so well last season, and have contingency plans in place to deal with both survival and relegation. 

• Like 1

We want to be a 'Top 25' club as per the noises coming out of the club. Anyone that doesn't understand why that isn't 'Top 17' club is probably missing the point.

• Like 2

What hospital is Ward 3 in?

I remember Ward Bond, Mum thought he was lovely. And of course Burt Ward was Robin. And I did like the late Clifford T Ward.

Ashley Ward should strike a chord. Now did he play for us when we had ambition or not?

2 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Nice and  Sleazy. That's what the Stranglers said. Does it every time.

Put that on in the car and turn it up, the keyboard solo bouncing between speakers is brilliant 😁

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Put that on in the car and turn it up, the keyboard solo bouncing between speakers is brilliant 😁

Also really love the long version of Walk on by.....8 mins or so  of pure guitar, keyboard and vocal magnificence.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Also really love the long version of Walk on by.....8 mins or so  of pure guitar, keyboard and vocal magnificence.  

I got that free with the black and white album, still got them 😁

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

What hospital is Ward 3 in?

I remember Ward Bond, Mum thought he was lovely. And of course Burt Ward was Robin. And I did like the late Clifford T Ward.

Ashley Ward should strike a chord. Now did he play for us when we had ambition or not?

Cool reply that 😎

28 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I got that free with the black and white album, still got them 😁

Ditto  Franko.  Mate of mine saw them this summer in the pi$$ing rain,they opened with 'always the sun' and sure enough  the clouds parted  and the yellow  orb shone brightly on the throng. One of my fave bands  ever.

• Like 1

As a bad bass player I tried hard to copy Jean-Jacques bass lines in that version. Not much success of course.

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

As a bad bass player I tried hard to copy Jean-Jacques bass lines in that version. Not much success of course.

You need an extra long guitar  strap,  leather jacket  and stand with your feet about  six feet apart to be totally in command the JJB way. 

You need an extra long guitar  strap,  leather jacket  and stand with your feet about  six feet apart to be totally in command the JJB way. 

Nowadays I need an extra long nap, incontinence pad and sensible shoes to be totally in command of KG way. But I still have a vivid imagination of course.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Nowadays I need an extra long nap, incontinence pad and sensible shoes to be totally in command of KG way. But I still have a vivid imagination of course.

With a 32 inch  inside leg , I'm too vertically  challenged to even attempt  putting  my feet  that far apart. 

• Haha 1