Sign in to follow this  
TCCANARY

SWiss Ramble on NCFC

As always, good analyses from Swiss Ramble.  People will still only quote the headline promotion figure and demand to know where all the money has gone, much easier than actually using the data!!!

Interesting read but I struggle on some of it- I'm assuming the Maddison fee was accounted for in the previous years financial reports which explains him talking about us not selling our young players this year but this does present a slightly warped view of the season.

12 minutes ago, king canary said:

Interesting read but I struggle on some of it- I'm assuming the Maddison fee was accounted for in the previous years financial reports which explains him talking about us not selling our young players this year but this does present a slightly warped view of the season.

It was covered here 

4 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

There are few articles tagged on to the end of the above, this comment about Saints will be all too familiar.

If he doesn't want to spend money sell the club to someone that will

Skimmed through. I see only 3.8million was paid back for the bond. Perhaps some of those repayments have spilled over into the next financial year, or some have waived their right to repayment, or a bit of both.

I’d forgotten about Pritchard - where is he now? 

(I just checked, still at Huddersfield, but doesn’t look like a regular starter. I would have thought he would do better).

8 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Skimmed through. I see only 3.8million was paid back for the bond. Perhaps some of those repayments have spilled over into the next financial year, or some have waived their right to repayment, or a bit of both.

I believe that only the balance was paid back in financial year just gone as the promotion bonus wasn't paid until September, presumably to allow for cash flow.

2 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

I’d forgotten about Pritchard - where is he now? 

(I just checked, still at Huddersfield, but doesn’t look like a regular starter. I would have thought he would do better).

Hindsight says we got a great fee for him.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

I believe that only the balance was paid back in financial year just gone as the promotion bonus wasn't paid until September, presumably to allow for cash flow.

Thanks.

29 minutes ago, hogesar said:

We did. Lovely little player but one of the dumbest transfers I can remember.

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

We did. Lovely little player but one of the dumbest transfers I can remember.

Dumb on our side or Huddersfield’s?

4 hours ago, king canary said:

Dumb on our side when we signed him. 

But we made a profit on him didn’t we? IMHO buying a player with promise is rarely dumb unless you overpay.

14 hours ago, hogesar said:

Exactly. 

The whole Pritchard thing seems like... a waste (on his part I mean). Such potential, I really thought he would end up doing better. Well, better sooner I should say, but he must still only be 25/26 or so.

Just now, Nuff Said said:

But we made a profit on him didn’t we? IMHO buying a player with promise is rarely dumb unless you overpay.

It was dumb because we had Hoolahan, had just spent £8m on Naismith and another £3m on Maddison who all play the number 10 role. Spending another £7/8m on a player where we were already strong while ignoring areas of weakness like the defence or upfront was dumb.

14 minutes ago, Flying Dutchman said:

Exactly. 

The whole Pritchard thing seems like... a waste (on his part I mean). Such potential, I really thought he would end up doing better. Well, better sooner I should say, but he must still only be 25/26 or so.

I would say while I understood why he moved, he would have thrived under Farke playing the role we give to Buendia/Cantwell. I seem to remember Farke sounding pretty peeved off when he was sold.

11 minutes ago, king canary said:

It was dumb because we had Hoolahan, had just spent £8m on Naismith and another £3m on Maddison who all play the number 10 role. Spending another £7/8m on a player where we were already strong while ignoring areas of weakness like the defence or upfront was dumb.

Yep Alex Neil had this thing about buying attacking midfielders.

39 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Yep Alex Neil had this thing about buying attacking midfielders.

Yeah, he also signed Tony Andreu when he first came in who also played that role.

Very odd transfer strategy.