wcorkcanary

Just a few cities ?districts bigger than us.

To all those who think we show no ambition. Norwich Is 154 th on Wikis list of Cities and Districts. 

Here's a few that are bigger than us and have football Clubs that arent doing as well as ours.

Leeds, Bradford, Coventry , Nottingham , Wigan.......all of these are at least twice the size of Norwich.

Complete list here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_districts_by_population

Quick look at smaller populations that are doing better.......erm, none.

Edited by wcorkcanary

Yes, but that is only within the City boundary. At least as many again live in the outer suburbs.

And we have no competition within our region, that’s not true of most clubs except Plymouth or Carlisle. We are doing much better than them is a fair comment. Hull maybe our closest rival if you want compare on club catchment areas,. 

That

50 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

To all those who think we show no ambition. Norwich Is 154 th on Wikis list of Cities and Districts. 

Here's a few that are bigger than us and have football Clubs that arent doing as well as ours.

Leeds, Bradford, Coventry , Nottingham , Wigan.......all of these are at least twice the size of Norwich.

Complete list here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_districts_by_population

Its not a list of 'cities and districts', it is just a list of 'districts'.

These are merely local authority boundaries, It means there are 141,000 people living within the Norwich City Council area.

Some parts of the built up area of Norwich fall within the Broadland area (121,000) or South Norfolk (138,000).

I'd have thought that was obvious from the list really wcorkcanary, as Cornwall is number 4 on the list (unitary authority).

In fact Carrow Road is about 200 metres away from the boundary with Broadland Council.

The whole of Thorpe St Andrew, Sprowston, and Catton falls within Broadland but is widely accepted to be suburbs of the city of Norwich. Costessey and Trowse Newton are South Norfolk local authority area.

The population of Norwich is more like 215,000.

59 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Oh that alright then

Well I’m glad we’re bottom of the league now. Great stuff!!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Adding North and South Norfolk brings us up to around 270000,  still well below metropolitan Leeds etc.  This wasn't meant to be a definitive  post , just a reminder to all to look around a bit , and appreciate what we have wholly debt free, decent and soon to be improving squad , and our ground capacity is around  10% of the entire County's population.

Atleast its changed the subject from the rather tedious " we need more money".

Edited by wcorkcanary

19 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Adding North and South Norfolk brings us up to around 270000,  still well below metropolitan Leeds etc.  This wasn't meant to be a definitive  post , just a reminder to all to look around a bit , and appreciate what we have wholly debt free, decent and soon to be improving squad , and our ground capacity is around  10% of the entire County's population.

Atleast its changed the subject from the rather tedious " we need more money".

10%? Norfolk has a population of over 859, 400 I donno where you went to school but 10% of 859,400 isn't 27,000. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=population+of+norfolk&rlz=1C1GCEA_enGB870GB870&oq=population+of+norfol&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.5645j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

24 minutes ago, lincsy88 said:

10%? Norfolk has a population of over 859, 400 I donno where you went to school but 10% of 859,400 isn't 27,000. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=population+of+norfolk&rlz=1C1GCEA_enGB870GB870&oq=population+of+norfol&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.5645j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

You're right, I'm wrong.   Must have had a "say anything that suits my agenda moment." Apologies to all ,especially those who never get any facts ,quotes or statistics muddled up. 

2 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

You're right, I'm wrong.   Must have had a "say anything that suits my agenda moment." Apologies to all ,especially those who never get any facts ,quotes or statistics muddled up. 

Sorry that wasn't meant as a personal dig we all make mistakes, the only reason I checked was because I couldn't believe Norfolk to only have a population of about 270,000. Please don't take offence. 

4 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how easy it is to admit you're wrong. There are a lot of people on here who could learn from this...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lincsy88 said:

Sorry that wasn't meant as a personal dig we all make mistakes, the only reason I checked was because I couldn't believe Norfolk to only have a population of about 270,000. Please don't take offence. 

I won't lincsyo, I have a rather thick skin, toughened by years of supporting City, and engaging with some of the more  moaning whingebags that post more about finance than football. Despite none of them declaring any experience of running a pub team, let alone one of the top 25 teams in the country.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I’m sure finances are involved to book St Andrews hall 😜

Do they not let it out for free if it's for "Just Cause" organised by "real city supporters " then.

16 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how easy it is to admit you're wrong. There are a lot of people on here who could learn from this...

Webber quote ref promotion anybody? Somebody? Nope, thought not. Still willing to apologise for that if proven wrong too. The thing about admitting culpability is that it negates the need for wriggling, squeaking, goalpostmoving and whataboutery and other such smoke and mirrors tactics and allows the mistaken one to move on with life rather than finding other ways to back up a clearly flawed argument. 

6 hours ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

You truly are an oddball 

Better to have 1 than none at all .............

6 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

I won't lincsyo, I have a rather thick skin, toughened by years of supporting City, and engaging with some of the more  moaning whingebags that post more about finance than football. Despite none of them declaring any experience of running a pub team, let alone one of the top 25 teams in the country.

But will he apologise for calling fellow City fans moaning whingebags... Doubt it. I think true fans don't insult each other.

31 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

But will he apologise for calling fellow City fans moaning whingebags... Doubt it. I think true fans don't insult each 

You are correct.  I wont apologise  for calling SOME  of the posters in here( not necessarily  all of them city fans btw) whingebags. If they whinge. 

40 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

You are correct.  I wont apologise  for calling SOME  of the posters in here( not necessarily  all of them city fans btw) whingebags. If they whinge. 

Just a bit sad and silly really.. I don't agree with your posts a lot of the times but respect your opinion .. you should try it, makes you a much calmer happier person. Wonder what the administrator of the site thinks... Anyway, wasted too much time...

Crikey, if Norfolk has a population of 860,000 and only 215,000 live around Norwich, where do the rest live? Yarmouth, Kings Lynn and Thetford ... and then?  A lot of villages adds up I guess....

16 hours ago, Surfer said:

And we have no competition within our region, that’s not true of most clubs except Plymouth or Carlisle. We are doing much better than them is a fair comment. Hull maybe our closest rival if you want compare on club catchment areas,. 

Plymouth shares a county with Exeter and Torquay so not true of them.

It's Cornwall which doesn't have a proper football side, Devon has a few. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

48 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Crikey, if Norfolk has a population of 860,000 and only 215,000 live around Norwich, where do the rest live? Yarmouth, Kings Lynn and Thetford ... and then?  A lot of villages adds up I guess....

Gorleston and Dereham almost as big as Thetford. 

What about Kent?

1, 440 square miles of Football League emptiness with the exception of Gillingham (who?)

There was a time, a few years ago now thankfully, when I probably saw more of City live at  the Priestfield Stadium (cap. 11, 500) than I did at Carrow Road.

Highlight: Ewan Roberts scoring a solo goal from near the half-way line and dribbling round half the Gills team in the process.

Kent's population, btw, is 1, 850, 000 which is nearly 1m more than Norfolk's and seeing Premier League football live involves a trip to Selhurst Park which is the nearest port of call.

Norfolk Football supporters are lucky to have City in existence, despite the shortcomings that often seem to be involved in supporting the club.

Now, as for cricket.

7 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Just a bit sad and silly really.. I don't agree with your posts a lot of the times but respect your opinion .. you should try it, makes you a much calmer happier person. Wonder what the administrator of the site thinks... Anyway, wasted too much time...

I do respect some other peoples opinions, I just cant abide thread  after thread with the same old mantra " we need a rich investor " presented in many different ways but always saying the same thing, its tedious. SW etc have explained  ad nauseam  that we would not be spending  big money this season. So I dont get why  people cant accept that.  As if moaning on a message board ever changed anything.  As for site administrators, go on report me, then we'll see if I'm judged as out if order by them that are ' in charge'. I've  never received as much  as  a warning as what I post only upsets those who disagree  with what I say. I can live with that. 

2 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

I do respect some other peoples opinions, I just cant abide thread  after thread with the same old mantra " we need a rich investor " presented in many different ways but always saying the same thing, its tedious. SW etc have explained  ad nauseam  that we would not be spending  big money this season. So I dont get why  people cant accept that.  As if moaning on a message board ever changed anything.  As for site administrators, go on report me, then we'll see if I'm judged as out if order by them that are ' in charge'. I've  never received as much  as  a warning as what I post only upsets those who disagree  with what I say. I can live with that. 

So you respect somebody's opinion if it is the same as yours, because you are the self-annointed Pink'un arbitor of what dictates an acceptable opinion or not?  

If a Norwich City fan holds the opinion that we should have spent some money this season, or are hoping that the club is sold on in a few years to people with fresh ideas in the board room rather than kept in the family, that is not a thoughtcrime. 

You are entitled to find other people's opinions irritating, you are not entitled to not be irritated by other people's opinions. 

Ps. Looks like you are having a moan on a messageboard?

5 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

So you respect somebody's opinion if it is the same as yours, because you are the self-annointed Pink'un arbitor of what dictates an acceptable opinion or not?  

If a Norwich City fan holds the opinion that we should have spent some money this season, or are hoping that the club is sold on in a few years to people with fresh ideas in the board room rather than kept in the family, that is not a thoughtcrime. 

You are entitled to find other people's opinions irritating, you are not entitled to not be irritated by other people's opinions. 

Ps. Looks like you are having a moan on a messageboard?

Here we go again. 

"You are entitled to find other people's opinions irritating, you are not entitled to not be irritated by other people's opinions" ..........is that a typo , or just gobbledegook. It's ok TvB , don't bother answering, unless you are going to include the SW quote regarding promotion. 

So you respect somebody's opinion if it is the same as yours, because you are the self-annointed Pink'un arbitor of what dictates an acceptable opinion or not? ............ incorrect, we have moderators for that.  There is a difference between respecting some people's opinions and not respecting anyone's regardless of whether I agree or not. There are some, interesting opinions, backed up by facts ,that i respect even if don't agree.

If a Norwich City fan holds the opinion that we should have spent some money this season, or are hoping that the club is sold on in a few years to people with fresh ideas in the board room rather than kept in the family, that is not a thoughtcrime. ......... Correct , it is not a thoughtcrime. Never said it was. I would love to know what a thoughtcrime is though, because unless vocalised in some way, eg spoken or written , it remains just that, a thought. As far as I am aware, a thought reading machine has not been made available  to the general public yet.  Maybe you could put us straight on that one, please.

1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

Here we go again. 

"You are entitled to find other people's opinions irritating, you are not entitled to not be irritated by other people's opinions" ..........is that a typo , or just gobbledegook. It's ok TvB , don't bother answering, unless you are going to include the SW quote regarding promotion. 

So you respect somebody's opinion if it is the same as yours, because you are the self-annointed Pink'un arbitor of what dictates an acceptable opinion or not? ............ incorrect, we have moderators for that.  There is a difference between respecting some people's opinions and not respecting anyone's regardless of whether I agree or not. There are some, interesting opinions, backed up by facts ,that i respect even if don't agree.

If a Norwich City fan holds the opinion that we should have spent some money this season, or are hoping that the club is sold on in a few years to people with fresh ideas in the board room rather than kept in the family, that is not a thoughtcrime. ......... Correct , it is not a thoughtcrime. Never said it was. I would love to know what a thoughtcrime is though, because unless vocalised in some way, eg spoken or written , it remains just that, a thought. As far as I am aware, a thought reading machine has not been made available  to the general public yet.  Maybe you could put us straight on that one, please.

If you don't know what a thoughtcrime is then you aren't very well read. More reading less posting would do you some good. Frankly embarressing that you are a Norwich fan who thought the population of Norfolk was 250,000. 

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

If you don't know what a thoughtcrime is then you aren't very well read. More reading less posting would do you some good. Frankly embarressing that you are a Norwich fan who thought the population of Norfolk was 250,000. 

Don't be embarrassed on my behalf TvB. But thanks anyway. I have apologised  for my error. I was wrong. PS  I said 270,000 not 250 k, but don't let facts get in the way of having a dig. 

As for thoughtcrime........perleeeeeeese. I've answered that one.

Can't carry on with this now as have to do summat fun. X

Any news on that SW quote?

As fascinating as these little personal spats are I should imagine that few on here are the slightest bit interested in following them. They should be confined to private messaging ..... but never are.

Even though the demographics of Kent may not present a riveting read that about the demographics of the 'football supporter' in general, and of City's support in particular, is probably of more interest.

I remember, quite a few years back now, seeing the results of a study into the worldwide support of the major English clubs. NCFC were surprisingly high in the list (about 13th. I think) and were notably placed above such clubs as West Ham and a few other clubs with a supposedly higher profile (that I cannot remember.) I have no idea how this list was arrived at and have had no luck trying to research the article since (a few times.)

In any case, that related to potential attendance is more significant. As has been pointed out the actual population of the City borough hardly gives a true figure. I remember as a youngster always being peeved that the annual AA book consistently gave the population of Norwich as being just 138, 000, but I was at an age then when bigger was better.

At the last election the number on the electoral register for Norwich North and Norwich South totalled 144, 000 and considering this excluded those under the age of 18 and those not bothering to register you could probably nearly add half that again for a more precise indication.

Incidentally, the nine Norfolk Parliamentary constituencies had just over 670, 000 registered to vote at the last election.

I don't suppose this all means THAT much in the grand scheme of things, but do we come to the conclusion that NCFC have a healthy catchment area to exploit having, no real competition, or that it sits in a relatively sparse area of population and therefore should be proud of it's continued support?

2 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

What about Kent?

1, 440 square miles of Football League emptiness with the exception of Gillingham (who?)

There was a time, a few years ago now thankfully, when I probably saw more of City live at  the Priestfield Stadium (cap. 11, 500) than I did at Carrow Road.

Highlight: Ewan Roberts scoring a solo goal from near the half-way line and dribbling round half the Gills team in the process.

Kent's population, btw, is 1, 850, 000 which is nearly 1m more than Norfolk's and seeing Premier League football live involves a trip to Selhurst Park which is the nearest port of call.

Norfolk Football supporters are lucky to have City in existence, despite the shortcomings that often seem to be involved in supporting the club.

Now, as for cricket.

Unrelated to this thread really, but I was a regular at Priestfield for a couple of years when I went to college there (aaah Medway, you can't have it all), close friend of mine (best man) is a big Gills fan.

I enjoy that they put the away fans in the only uncovered part of the stadium - nice touch in the winter months.