Sign in to follow this  
Keith Scott

That Gary Neville interview with Delia

Why should it be bad luck. Much the same as claiming last seasons promotion was good luck. Both ridiculous.

Our record of being promoted and seasons spent in the PL is better than the majority of other comparable clubs. That's surely not failure?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Why should it be bad luck. Much the same as claiming last seasons promotion was good luck. Both ridiculous.

Our record of being promoted and seasons spent in the PL is better than the majority of other comparable clubs. That's surely not failure?

The promotions are commendable but why do they result in quick relegations ? Is lack of investment fundamental to the problem ? 

4 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

The promotions are commendable but why do they result in quick relegations ? Is lack of investment fundamental to the problem ? 

Only if it's the problem for the other clubs whos promotions result in quick relegations. There are currently 16 clubs outside the PL who have been relegated in the last 10 years. 

You could make an argument that Smith & Jones have been victims of their own success. I believe our ceiling with them as owners is bouncing between lower Premier League/Upper Championship. They've hit that ceiling pretty regularly and hitting it throws the perceived limitations into sharp relief. 

• Like 1

If we are talking in another 12 games and the position is the same then the argument of investment carries some weight, retrospectively anyway as we may be buying in January (unlikely though).

But to be too critical and look for the same old reason for blame is not really fair at this stage.

21 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

No, spending  money is not a guarantee of success

1 Nobody is suggesting spending no money. I think that we all agree that we should spend tens of millions. Where we disagree is that some think that it is wise to spend more than we in a gamble against the future.

2. As you say, this is no guarantee of success - indeed it fails more times than it succeeds.

3. When it fails, the club is weakened for years to come as it has gambled it's future in the past.

9 minutes ago, Badger said:

3. When it fails, the club is weakened for years to come as it has gambled it's future in the past.

Well this is the fundamental, underlying problem with our current ownership though isn't it?

We can't risk spending even close to any of our rivals because it can have long term repercussions.

Do we believe if Sheffield United go down this summer that they will be the same?

So there we have it all over again. In the future we'll be worse off. There's nothing to back that up except some kind of weird soothsaying.

Being victims of success kind of explains why our success isn't recognised though. And success it has been.

Unable to take us to the next level is another meaningless criticism. What is the next level? If it's achieved by having more money then we should be funding our current owners. But that normally gets a bad reaction on here. But if we don't make our owners richer then we have to have new owners. The odds of being where we are now with new owners is probably about 1 in 5. That means we're 5 times less likely to be at the level we are at now.

This obsession with money and especially other people's money is beyond my comprehension.

• Like 1

When our Club Matriarch stands to one side and then anoints Neppers Tom to take over the Club reins......hopefully he is able to maintain the club's 'self-funding' model/mantra......

In preparation for the forthcoming AGM, Tom's probably at Horsey Gap practising his accuracy at throwing raw mackerel to the colony of seals to assimilate appeasing the hard-core AGM attending audience of those seasoned share-holding board loving happy clapping seals. Unfortunately those Horsey seals being wild mammals, don't happy clap their flippers on receipt of the tasty omega 3 enriched fish, but those happy clapping seals at the forthcoming AGM will oink, flip an' flap an' clap in approval the moment Neppers Tom flings them fish....    

Maybe when Tom's seated at the forthcoming AGM top-table, I suggest as well as taking cooler boxes full of nutritious raw mackerel for the attending happy clapping seals, he should also take a large sack of carrots for those attending nodding donkeys.....  

At the cessation of the AGM, prizes of a coloured ball and a toy trumpet will be awarded to the best happy clapping seal supporter......'TOOT TOOT'.....'OINK OINK'.....Oh, and a yellow an' green straw hat for the best nodding donkey.....'HEE HAW!'..... 😉 

Hopefully the pitchforks will be deployed before any such vote is taken. I'll be sure to report back on here how that goes🙃

Nutty has told me he will be naming and shaming any dissenting voices or the raising of hands against the reappointment of Winnie at the AGM.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Well this is the fundamental, underlying problem with our current ownership though isn't it?

We can't risk spending even close to any of our rivals because it can have long term repercussions.

Do we believe if Sheffield United go down this summer that they will be the same?

Sheffield United is a tightly run ship and have a little more room for manoeuvre than Norwich as I understand it. According to the last accounts (Feb 2019) their wages bill was much lower than ours at 19.1 million and they had net debt of £0.7 million. Their contingent transfer fees were also much lower than ours at £6.2 million, which the board said that they did not expect to be realised, so did not have the same promotion expenses.

Whilst, as I have said elsewhere, there is money available to spend, if the right player becomes available, I think that that Sheffield United have followed a similar path financially to our own. The fact that they have spent more money than us is down to two factors as far as I can see:

1. They started from a stronger financial position having not got themselves into the financial mess that we had done having "gone for it" in previous years. They have fewer debts/ liabilities and a much lower wage bill. We were paying for previous "ambition."

2. They have managed to secure targets that they were happy to spend money upon. In doing so, I think that the jury is still out as to how far successful they will be with the money they have spent. I would have taken Patrick Roberts over Callum Robertson and Drmic over Lys Mousset at the time but who knows?

"This means the club have a net debt of £0.7m, which is essentially breaking even. This minimal amount shows the financial responsibility within Sheffield United has changed and the club is much more financially astute."

http://financialfootballnews.com/sheffield-united-2018-financial-review-blades-cut-losses/

14 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Nutty has told me he will be naming and shaming any dissenting voices or the raising of hands against the reappointment of Winnie at the AGM.

Ordinary business resolution 2 the re-appointment of Wynnie.

There will be no dissenting voices.

36 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Ordinary business resolution 2 the re-appointment of Wynnie.

There will be no dissenting voices.

Nutty can’t and won’t see why we keep failing once promoted . 

5 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Nutty can’t and won’t see why we keep failing once promoted . 

I think it's you that can't or won't understand. Unless our owners are also responsible for : -

Wolves (3)

Birmingham(2)

Burnely (1)

Blackpool (1)

QPR (2)

Reading (1)

Cardiff (1)

Hull (2)

Burnely (1)

QPR (1)

Middlebrough (1)

Hull (1)

Huddersfield (2)

Cardiff (1)

Fulham (1)

46 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I think it's you that can't or won't understand. Unless our owners are also responsible for : -

Wolves (3)

Birmingham(2)

Burnely (1)

Blackpool (1)

QPR (2)

Reading (1)

Cardiff (1)

Hull (2)

Burnely (1)

QPR (1)

Middlebrough (1)

Hull (1)

Huddersfield (2)

Cardiff (1)

Fulham (1)

What would a crowd of 27,000 Nutty’s be like ? 

31 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

The breath of those 27,000.....would most likely smell of raw fish.....'Honk Honk'....'Toot Toot'.....

3 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

We're one closer to finding out than 27,000 Midlands moaning non stop on here...

16 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

“..given a bit of investment.”

Wow. You use this term like it’s a matter of finding loose change in the sofa!

And what, in you opinion, is a ‘given bit of investment?’

Because if it were that easy, all we’d have to do is pass around the hat, right?

Edited by CirclePoint

On 12/11/2019 at 15:59, keelansgrandad said:

Surely all City supporters would want to be a little more competitive in the top flight?

But how much more? Do you mean so that we aren't relegated every year? That is fair enough but losing twice as many as you win every season doesn't sound too exciting to me. Yes you are seeing some of the "stars" of the game. Yes you get a substantial amount of money for belonging.
But how much does it cost to run a football club in the EPL? Why aren't Burnley, Brighton, Bournemouth buying £50M players? And don't you only get 19 home games not 23.
Would the cry begin for even greater investment if we finished 14th for five seasons in a row?
I have to ask these questions as I do not crave what others do.

They can sign players for substantial fees, like quite a few championship clubs can! Little old Norwich can’t! Glad to hear you enjoy getting relegated! 

14 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

So there we have it all over again. In the future we'll be worse off. There's nothing to back that up except some kind of weird soothsaying.

Being victims of success kind of explains why our success isn't recognised though. And success it has been.

Unable to take us to the next level is another meaningless criticism. What is the next level? If it's achieved by having more money then we should be funding our current owners. But that normally gets a bad reaction on here. But if we don't make our owners richer then we have to have new owners. The odds of being where we are now with new owners is probably about 1 in 5. That means we're 5 times less likely to be at the level we are at now.

This obsession with money and especially other people's money is beyond my comprehension.

Welcome to modern day football

• Like 1

22 hours ago, king canary said:

You could make an argument that Smith & Jones have been victims of their own success. I believe our ceiling with them as owners is bouncing between lower Premier League/Upper Championship. They've hit that ceiling pretty regularly and hitting it throws the perceived limitations into sharp relief. 

I agree with this.

As it is with players and managers who succeed in the Championship and struggle to find their stride in the Premier League, so too, do Owners struggle in their own way.

Edited by CirclePoint