Hardhouse44

Zimmermann Zimmermann Zimmermann

Nearly every thread on here has someone championing the return of Zimmermann. 

I think it just shows the delusion that many of our fans are under. This is a guy who has never played at this level before and was major part of the leakiest championship title winning team ever.

please! what makes anyone think that his return will have any great impact on our performances.

Agreed he is a proper defender and I’m sure that will help but I see nothing to get excited about. It is our strength and ability to affect the game that is missing. We’ve been found out. Get in our faces close us down and we are nullified. Our passing game becomes rushed and frantic. Just like Friday night.  Never under control never with poise, never with end product!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree the return of one player is going to turn it around completely but Maddison had never played at that level and look at him. It isn't obvious that he will be rubbish because he hasn't played there before.

I do think we need to change the playing positions. I think Buendia has to go central and be the "No 10". We have Roberts take his current place.

Next match, I would like to see

Krul

Aarons Zimmerman Godfrey Lewis

Vrancic Amadou

Roberts Buendia Onel

Teemu

• Like 1

Zimmermann - will take a lot of pressure off Godrey

Zimmermann - means Amadou and or Tettey can strengthen our midfield

Zimmermann - is loved by the fans and it will be a massive boost to have him back. Like a new signing.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

Zimmermann - will take a lot of pressure off Godrey

Zimmermann - means Amadou and or Tettey can strengthen our midfield

Zimmermann - is loved by the fans and it will be a massive boost to have him back. Like a new signing.

Zimmerman - won’t change us scoring only 2 in the last 7 games. 

Yes, he will make a difference, but there needs to be a big change if we are to stay up. I’m not talking about splashing stupid cash as that’s not the plan we’re sticking to this season. But we need to try something different - Buendia as number ten perhaps, maybe 3/5 at the back, maybe give a Roberts a go, maybe bring in an out and out winger on loan in Jan, maybe bring in a young tricky attacking central midfielder. Maybe two or three of those things. Zimmerman back isn’t going to make a big enough difference.

Yes don't deny that Aggy. I would like to see Emi further foward, well away from our own penalty area! Tettey and Amadou patrolling that midfield frees up Emi or perhaps even Cantwell to get closer to Pukki.

I think a lot of the recent poor attacking play has been because the players have lost confidence in the defence and are anxious not to lose possession for fear of conceding.

So yes, while Zimbo is no Virgil Van Dijk, he's at least a proper centre half who will allow Amadou/Tettey to play in midfield and that's got to make us better not just defensively but going forward too.

Edited by Peanuts
spelling
  • Like 1

How can a fit, ready-made centre back not be an improvement upon the need to play an aging defensive midfielder in the middle of defence in a team playing against Premier League attacks? Perhaps the OP should ponder that fact with a bit more incite. Perhaps he somewhat underestimates the man a tad as well.

His concluding paragraph is basically correct but ignores the old adage (expounded by the great Brian Clough,  as well as many other top managers,) that a team is built upon it's defence whereby confidence in the back four is the basic necessity that leads to all-round improvement. Our current lack of confidence going forward, which has crept to the fore in recent encounters, has been caused by our leaky defence. How can we possibly be expected to build up momentum against these costly attacking units with a makeshift defence?

Zimmermann may not turn out to be the complete answer to our defensive woes but his presence sure as hell will lead to some improvement at least.

As has been said, we will get to see Amadou in his correct role at last, and I have a feeling that he will turn out to be a good 'un.

Alex Tettey's efforts this season have been above and beyond. Few expected him to be a regular starter in his known position let alone a regular starter in the centre of defence.

The availability of a "wall" of Amadou and Tettey, when needed in games, would  seem to be  a massively improved option considering what we have had available recently.

Just a pity that Klose's injury is so bad. A credible central defender being signed in January is a must  ... even if we do end up playing Championship football next season. It pleased most when TK's contract was extended. Through nobody's fault it really does seem highly possible that he will not kick a ball for City again   .... in Premier League action at least. 

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

Zimbo is a brilliant character on the pitch and was one of the major reasons we started to do well last season from the moment he came on at right back against Preston. He has a good partnership with Godfrey and will have a positive benefit when he comes back in. With him and Vrancic back and contributing, our prospects are greatly improved. 

• Like 2

Judging how much you underestimate Zimbo's possible lifting effect on the team, the quality he possesses and his overall contribution, I'm guessing the last time you watched a City game coincides with the last time you were actually active on here: The beginning of the Championship season.

They really do all come out, don't they?

Edited by Flying Dutchman
  • Like 2

The great thing about Zimbo, apart from all the stuff that's already been said, is his physical presence and mentality.

Here we have a guy who nearly jacked football in, before being given a chance to impress at Championship level. To say his start was underwhelming with us would be an understatement! But it's testament to his character and intelligence how much he learned and improved in his role. That character and intelligence should not be underestimated when it's transferred to a football pitch.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Peanuts said:

I think a lot of the recent poor attacking play has been because the players have lost confidence in the defence and are anxious not to lose possession for fear of conceding.

So yes, while Zimbo is no Virgil Van Dijk, he's at least a proper centre half who will allow Amadou/Tettey to play in midfield and that's got to make us better not just defensively but going forward too.

Spot on Peanuts.

It’s a strangely old fashioned view of football to suggest that strengthening the heart of defence and shielding it does not help the attack. It was obvious against Watford that the fullbacks were holding back because of the frailties in defence – either because that was the training ground game plan or they had the footballing nous to adapt their game on-field (probably a combination of the two as at times they seemed undecided on whether to sit in or go for it). Midfield with less fear of disaster will be able to play with more freedom and Teemu can get his mojo back because he then gets the support which means that if he misses he knows another chance will come along soon. He can play without tension. I for one am looking forward to Everton – our team should be a completely different animal to these last few games.

16 hours ago, Hardhouse44 said:

Nearly every thread on here has someone championing the return of Zimmermann. 

I think it just shows the delusion that many of our fans are under. This is a guy who has never played at this level before and was major part of the leakiest championship title winning team ever.

please! what makes anyone think that his return will have any great impact on our performances.

That's the spirit! 

Just out of curiosity how is that motivational speaking gig working out for you?

• Haha 1

Zimmerman is a leader and an inspiration to others and we have been sadly lacking leadership and inspiration on the pitch.

Edited by Making Plans
  • Like 1

Their is no doubt that Zimmerman will add leadership at the back. Is he going to answer the various flaws within our team by himself, no, but he should help. I cant see Hanley adding much to our team either, as I just dont think he is anywhere near the standard required of a Premiership centreback.  Things will definitely be better when Zimmerman is back though as we can start looking at putting Amadou in a protective role in front of the back four which should help matters, with him alongside Leitner or Trybull depending on the opponent. Let the good times roll.....

Edited by jaberry2

I think its fair to say Zimmerman hasnt really played at this level, nor the majority of our team. Their is a step up needed by the team collectively and it remains to be seen whether they are indeed good enough.

18 hours ago, Hardhouse44 said:

This is a guy who has never played at this level before

No he hasn't but he's the best we've got.

So are you suggesting that even if he is 100% fit that we shouldn't pick him?

2 hours ago, yellowarmy2766 said:

"This is a guy who has never played at this level before"

I'm sure he played against West Ham, before being injured and was playing quite well at the time.

Yes and he also played brilliantly against Arsenal and Chelsea in the cup, in his first season here.

So much so, Wenger was apparently quoted to say to Farke "Where did you find this guy?!"

Of course, many people have short memories about this sort of thing when it suits their narrative.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BobLoz3 said:

Yes and he also played brilliantly against Arsenal and Chelsea in the cup, in his first season here.

So much so, Wenger was apparently quoted to say to Farke "Where did you find this guy?!"

Of course, many people have short memories about this sort of thing when it suits their narrative.

Where was Wenger quoted as saying that?

it is more that he (and more likely Hanley for the everton game) are dedicated CBs.

The three CB injuries have had a knock on affect (with amadous subsequent injury) that has impacted both CB but also DCM leading to the most destructive players (amadou & tettey) not in DCM and leading to us having no effective DCM shield.

What we can only happens is that having the rightly players in the right positions restores some balance and provides the platform that allows us to get the ball forward more accurately and faster while providing greater defensive security.    It is a theoretical  view and undermined by the subsequent drop in player confidence.    Until January and the possibility of some cover signings - it is a the best option to hope for.     And far more realistic than Roberts, say, turning our fortunes around.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

use google - he was widely quoted saying it in the immediate aftermath of the carling cup defeat at the emirates

1 hour ago, Hardhouse44 said:

Thats it then we’re saved. 

Ha! Not suggesting that at all.

More that to completely write the lad off, when we all know he's a good defender with a lot of heart, just because he hasn't played in the Prem (he has and against Prem opposition before we were in it) is stupid.

• Like 1

Zimmermann will grasp the opportunity with both hands and I say stand by for an immediate effect on our team!

I remain convinced that had we not suffered the extent of injuries we did at the start of this season we would have fared much, much better in certain games and it is a crying shame the PL audiences are viewing our team performance as they currently are. 

Other posters have acknowledged the fact that a makeshift defence undermines a team, this happens at every level down to school boys and is no co-incidence that we have struggled to shine with our flair players underperforming.

Get our defence with dedicated defenders in and not midfielders taking the flak and we should see an improvement. At the moment confidence is shot so it may take some time.

5 hours ago, Hardhouse44 said:

I seem to remember it being Farke, but I may be wrong about that. It was certainly said by someone I'd regard as reliable.

Love Zimmerman and he’s been sorely missed. His return will be a massive boost and will allow Amadou to move into midfield and protect that defence. Will it be enough to turn the tide of results though? In my opinion Probably not as the problems now appear to be in moral and mental strength. The midfield is not PL quality and goal scoring  chances are now at a premium. Had he returned in the West Ham game and not been injured it could have been a very different story.

Edited by JF

Zimmerman is going to make a huge difference aerially, positionally and in terms of leadership ability.

Anyone who thinks replacing Tettey at CB and having decent options in CM isn't going to make a big difference structurally throughout the team clearly hasn't been watching closely enough in the last few games.

• Like 1