pete

A club without ambition

3 hours ago, ron obvious said:

I think the OP's problem is not that the club have no ambition, simply that the club's ambitions don't reflect his ambitions. That's always going to be the case for some fans.

I don't think that it has anything to do with ambition. I am sure the ownership would love  us to compete regularly in the Premier League or even the Champions League. 

The issue is how to achieve what you wish to do. Some think that there is a simple solution - you just borrow money that you don't have, buy brilliantly and stay up with ease. Others think that this view of the world is a little simplistic and that if you borrow money, you do so by risking the future.

In essence it is more a matter of whether you believe in simple solutions to highly complex issues. 

• Like 1

I’d like to spend an evening with Holly Willoughby. I’m realistic enough to know it will never happen, but that doesn’t mean I haven’t got any ambition to.

Edited by FenwayFrank
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

And after tearing up the Championship again what will follow ? 

The owners have clearly got a knack of recruiting very talented people, who seem to have a knack of recruiting other talented people. Bar the occasional blip such as the Wolves bloke this has been the story since they appointed McNally. I can see why we took the approach we did at the start of the season and I honestly think that had it not been for the calamatous defensive injuries we'd be making a real fist of it. But the majority of the people who masterminded the incredible achievement of last season will still be there next, and I see no reason not to be confident they cannot do the same again- and possibly even upgrade due to our extra finances. Should the worst happen, i think we are in the position to come back stronger and better prepared.

33 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I’d like to spend an evening with Holly Willoughby. I’m realistic enough to know it will never happen, but that doesn’t mean I haven’t got any ambition to.

Well if you borrow tens of millions and spend it all in a mad gamble you might? Of course, you'll be paying for it for years if it doesn't work out. Are you ambitious enough? :classic_biggrin:

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

I just think some people will never be satisfied, however well the club do, they will always find something to criticise it for.  Fortunately, despite the voice they have on here and on social media, they are in a minorty. Long may it be so.

People aren’t expecting Champions league football and back to back cup final wins. Some just want the club to hang around in the Premiere league for more than just one season . 

Everyone to their own I guess on how success is seen .

32 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:
1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

I just think some people will never be satisfied, however well the club do, they will always find something to criticise it for.  Fortunately, despite the voice they have on here and on social media, they are in a minorty. Long may it be so.

People aren’t expecting Champions league football and back to back cup final wins. Some just want the club to hang around in the Premiere league for more than just one season . 

But success is not measured just in the here and now, which is what some people seem to think.  For some, if we lose a few matches, the world is coming to an end and is because of lack of money, for others it is just part of the ups and downs of football. Ok, we could just lie down and wave are paws in the air and say everything is wrong because we are bottom of the table and didn't do anything to prevent that because we don't have much money.....or we could look at a bigger picture that says we are developing as a club overall, that facilities are now top notch, financially things look good, that the club is investing in youth to build for the future, that in fact we are beset by injury problems that have knocked us back a bit and that our prospects will improve as the season progresses and we get a CB or two fit.

And to be honest, the season is not done and dusted - one win will restore the feel good factor and give us all a boost. We lost to the bottom club, but we beat the champoions.....so anything can happen and we have something special built up from last season. That magic has not disappeared, it has just been put under a bit of pressure and I have every confidence it will remerge in the weeks ahead.

Edited by lake district canary

38 minutes ago, Badger said:

Well if you borrow tens of millions and spend it all in a mad gamble you might? Of course, you'll be paying for it for years if it doesn't work out. Are you ambitious enough? :classic_biggrin:

Do I need a stinking rich investor to help ?

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

But success is not measured just in the here and now, which is what some people seem to think.  For some, if we lose a few matches, the world is coming to an end and is because of lack of money, for others it is just part of the ups and downs of football. Ok, we could just lie down and wave are paws in the air and say everything is wrong because we are bottom of the table and didn't do anything to prevent that because we don't have much money.....or we could look at a bigger picture that says we are developing as a club overall, that facilities are now top notch, financially things look good, that the club is investing in youth to build for the future, that in fact we are beset by injury problems that have knocked us back a bit and that our prospects will improve as the season progresses and we get a CB or two fit.

And to be honest, the season is not done and dusted - one win will restore the feel good factor and give us all a boost. We lost to the bottom club, but we beat the champoions.....so anything can happen and we have something special built up from last season. That magic has not disappeared, it has just been put under a bit of pressure and I have every confidence it will remerge in the weeks ahead.

The facilities are quite nice but the are definitely not top notch . The training ground has caught up with the times and Carrow road needs a little face lift . 

14 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Yes - you want to get one of those ones that just gives you the money for nothing and doesn't ask for it back if it all goes wrong - apparently there are loads of them about! :classic_biggrin: 

17 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Can we have one that doesnt stink!

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

Unfortunately in spite of hifalutin' FA rules about being a  'fit and proper owner' ..........there are plenty that do :classic_rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I’ve just thought, would I need to record my moment with Holly so VAR could check to see if I scored or not ?

I think we can safely say that the ball didn't cross the line in that situation Franko, plus you were a little offside there, according to Holly's husband.💔

23 hours ago, Van wink said:

I think that it's only the "stinky" ones that give you all the money for nothing - perhaps they are trying to buy friends because of their personal hygiene issues?

Normal rich investors take money out of the club, so sorry, only "stinking" ones will do. 

On 15/11/2019 at 18:36, Midlands Yellow said:

That is the plan.

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

That is the plan.

And ambition.

Hankering after someone elses money is anything but ambition. 

49 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

How many of 

Rochdale 

Bury 

Macclesfield 

Newport County 

And the rest . 

The Al-Hasawi family, Evangelos Marinakis ,Vincent Tan ,Tony Xia , Paul Suen , Carson Yeung, Assem Allan, Marcus Evans, Andrea Radrizzani, Massimo Cellino, Tony Fernandez, Lakshmi Mittal, Bernie Eccleston and Flavio Briatore, Dai Yongge , Dejphon Chansiri, Alexandre Gaydamak, Jason Levien and Steve Kaplan, , Lai Guochuan, The Venkys... etc... etc...  May as well try to establish those clubs in the PL for the good they have done with others....

But what about Bornmuff.....

Edited by nutty nigel

21 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

The Al-Hasawi family, Evangelos Marinakis ,A ,Tony Xia , Paul Suen , Carson Yeung, Assem Allan, Marcus Evans, Andrea Radrizzani, Massimo Cellino, Tony Fernandez, Lakshmi Mittal, Bernie Eccleston and Flavio Briatore, Dai Yongge , Dejphon Chansiri, Alexandre Gaydamak, Jason Levien and Steve Kaplan, , Lai Guochuan, The Venkys... etc... etc... 

Easy for people to just list names, and some atrocious ones on that list.

But you seem to have listed some really corrupt nutcases alongside some thoroughly decent people on that list. 

Bit of an odd selection.... Vincent Tan for example took Cardiff to the Premier League for the first time in their history, reached a League Cup final, and took them back to the Premier League. 

Has remained really loyal to Warnock too. He's a good egg.

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Vincent Tan for example took Cardiff to the Premier League for the first time in their history, reached a League Cup final, and took them back to the Premier League. 

Ah yes, Vincent Tan, who walked in at Cardiff and tried to trash 100 years of club history, changing the kit from a team known as the bluebirds from blue to red and he changing the badge beyond recognition, taking off the welsh dragon.   That is the same as making us change to blue and removing the canary from the badge.  But...but....but he's got money.....

On 16/11/2019 at 18:08, Badger said:

I think that it's only the "stinky" ones that give you all the money for nothing - perhaps they are trying to buy friends because of their personal hygiene issues?

Normal rich investors take money out of the club, so sorry, only "stinking" ones will do. 

There's a stinky one sits somewhere near me, more down to rich food though I recon.

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Easy for people to just list names, and some atrocious ones on that list.

But you seem to have listed some really corrupt nutcases alongside some thoroughly decent people on that list. 

Bit of an odd selection.... Vincent Tan for example took Cardiff to the Premier League for the first time in their history, reached a League Cup final, and took them back to the Premier League. 

That list is not about good or bad. I have no idea if they are good or bad whatever that may be. That list is about investor owners who have been unable to achieve what our owners have achieved. 

But then, what about Bornmuff....

9 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

That list is not about good or bad. I have no idea if they are good or bad whatever that may be. That list is about investor owners who have been unable to achieve what our owners have achieved. 

But then, what about Bornmuff....

First ever season in the Premier League after winning the Championship, a League Cup final while a Championship side, bringing a Welsh legend home (Bellamy) and another promotion is seen as a decent legacy for Vincent Tan surely?

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

First ever season in the Premier League after winning the Championship, a League Cup final while a Championship side, bringing a Welsh legend home (Bellamy) and another promotion is seen as a decent legacy for Vincent Tan surely?

I think the fact you're having to focus purely on one of those names (who has a bit of a chequered past with Cardiff fans as it is) kind of backs up Nuttys point rather than refutes it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

I think the fact you're having to focus purely on one of those names (who has a bit of a chequered past with Cardiff fans as it is) kind of backs up Nuttys point rather than refutes it.

Yep, there are exceptions to every  rule.  Tan, although investing heavily  , and raising    Cardiffs profile,  did have to wind back on some of his more contentious  plans, as Lakeyo  pointed out . This investor larkey is dodgy ground  indeed.  I, for one would rather have a 'conservative ' small c, owner  , who looks to keep the club on a even keel, than a risk taker who could leave us in tatters  if their  plans dont work out. 

Plenty of guff on both sides of the argument. The club can be successful under both the current ownership or a billionaire. It could also fall into troubles under either as well. This idea that the club is in safe hands now only works when the club is successful. Wasn’t so safe when they were considering selling the stadium to keep the club afloat not so long ago! They have had a good enough ownership with plenty of highs and lows, I certainly wouldn’t swap some of the seasons we’ve had for constant Premier League mediocrity. But it would be remiss and arrogant to have people believe that other owners couldn’t emulate that.

Edited by JF

19 minutes ago, JF said:

Plenty of guff on both sides of the argument. The club can be successful under both the current ownership or a billionaire. It could also fall into troubles under either as well. This idea that the club is in safe hands now only works when the club is successful. Wasn’t so safe when they were considering selling the stadium to keep the club afloat not so long ago! They have had a good enough ownership with plenty of highs and lows, I certainly wouldn’t swap some of the seasons we’ve had for constant Premier League mediocrity. But it would be remiss and arrogant to have people believe that other owners couldn’t emulate that.

Also worth noting that we'd be up sh*t creek without a paddle if we'd failed to win promotion last season after a £36m loss. 

And a wealthy owner being prepared to take on our external debt as 'internal' (owed to them) would have been the only way out of that situation because Delia doesn't have bail out money to hand to do that. 

Perhaps Nutty and Hogesar should have a think about that before they throw shade at the Forest owner (who came on board and did exactly that). 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

40 minutes ago, JF said:

Wasn’t so safe when they were considering selling the stadium to keep the club afloat not so long ago!

I haven't heard that one before. Can you provide a link to where it was reported please?