pete

A club without ambition

2 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

I do give credit, I travel 330 miles to watch the team at home and loved everything about last season. You are missing my point about the gamble though. I was the first to defend Cantwell at the start of the season when people were on his back. Do you miss moments like that on here? Just look for people to argue with and then talk down at when you think you know it all ?

No. You posted something, and I disagreed with it.

Bloody hell, I hate the term but it really does feel like 'snowflake' central on here sometimes.

27 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Bloody hell, I hate the term but it really does feel like 'snowflake' central on here sometimes.

You seem to be a snowflake. Cant take people using the phrase retards to brand our fan base 🤣🤣

55 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

You seem to be a snowflake. Cant take people using the phrase retards to brand our fan base 🤣🤣

No, I don't think using a disability-related term as a negative connotation towards a group of people is acceptable. Clearly you do. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, hogesar said:

No, I don't think using a disability-related term as a negative connotation towards a group of people is acceptable. Clearly you do. 

Please get over yourself

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ward 3 said:

Please get over yourself

I presume from Til's consistent passive-aggressive liking of all your posts against me he also thinks '****' is an acceptable term to use.

I don't have to get over myself; probably a good idea for you to take a good look at yourself though.

34 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I presume from Til's consistent passive-aggressive liking of all your posts against me he also thinks '****' is an acceptable term to use.

I don't have to get over myself; probably a good idea for you to take a good look at yourself though.

Somebody keeps liking my posts to you, he probably agrees with me and thinks your a class a 🛎. I've looked at myself and feel ok about life thanks. 

30 minutes ago, hogesar said:

There is an Irish  expression  for sitting on the sidelines making snidey comments, criticising  management  or ownership  . It's called being  " the hurler on the ditch"  a reference  basically  to the mighty game of hurling  , where everyone not playing  is an expert about everything related to those who are playing managing or funding the very game that they  are watching.  The game itself is basically  stick fighting that involves  a ball too, and is not to be played by the faint hearted,  its  fast, skilful  and often violent  but very entertaining  when played well .  These guys often preface their  insights  with expressions such as  " was talking to someone within the club",  "a little bird told me"  or  " took a call the other day". They are a figure of much amusement  and often scorn amongst the actual players.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

Somebody keeps liking my posts to you, he probably agrees with me and thinks your a class a 🛎. I've looked at myself and feel ok about life thanks. 

Maybe. But he was pleasant enough when I met him the other week.

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Maybe. But he was pleasant enough when I met him the other week.

Maybe. Aww cute story hun. 

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Does this forum have any kind of age-restriction to those who can sign up?

🤣🤣 you still going on Callum

8 hours ago, ron obvious said:

No, but you said we weren't even trying.

We're trying to sign potentially quality PL players. That is always going to be difficult when competing with established PL clubs with far greater resources than us.

I never said we weren't even trying. I said we didn't sign them. Trying but failing to sign good players has been a bit of a feature of our recent escapades in the Premiership... But I get that it's hard to find the right targets and persuade them to come, so I'm going to shut up about it now, because we are where we are. I just hope we do as Weber suggested and sign a player (or two) in the mould he describes as soon as possible in January, if we're to have even a fighting chance of staying up. Because Farke and the squad need all the assistance they can get in this highly sloping playing field. 

On 12/11/2019 at 10:04, hogesar said:

Awwwww dear old man, you don’t get to me, don’t flatter yourself 

I'm glad I'm not in the know. Because if I knew, then I would know more than others when clearly others do know more. If only the management of the club knew as much as me, but then of course they wouldn't know it all because others do know more.

7 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Getting bored with sycophantic sheeple seal-like club apologists who accept mediocrity and fear change.....and furriners.....and seal hunting Orcas...... 

2 hours ago, Bury Yellow said:

Congratulations Dr Greenthumb and Ward 3. Seems hogesar is indeed a snowflake, a pathetic condescending one at that

Aim to please and all that.

Can you also not cope with someone disagreeing with you?

On 10/11/2019 at 18:50, nutty nigel said:

How many of..

Leeds

Forest

Sheff Wed

Bristol C

QPR

Charlton

Hull

Birmingham

Cardiff

Derby

Reading

Blackburn

Middlesbrough

Ipswich

Sunderland

Sheff Utd

Coventry

Portsmouth

Bolton

Have spent 5 of the last 10 years in the PL?

We are there again this season, just months after you said we had no ambition to get there. How did that even happen? Is ambition only measured by someone elses wealth?

That's quite an odd selection of clubs, why that specific group? Hull for example were promoted to the top flight for the first time in their history in 2005... After largely being a lower league team. 

And if you'd extended your timeframe by 1 year you'd have an FA Cup winner in that list (Portsmouth), if you'd chosen Wigan in your arbitrary selection you'd have two FA Cup wins. 

In your existing list you've also got a League Cup win over that 10 years. 

Several played in Europe. 

Nobody is arguing that football isn't cyclical and that a club our size shouldn't expect to see periods of 2nd tier football and relegations from the top flight. We are not a giant. 

What people are questioning is the complete absence of any sort of serious attempt to stay in the league after working so hard to get here. Don't be surprised if fans get a lot less excited next time we get promoted, it will be notable in the numbers present outside City Hall and on the streets for any bus parade. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

On 12/11/2019 at 15:28, hogesar said:

Does this forum have any kind of age-restriction to those who can sign up?

How old were you in 2006 Hogesar? 

44 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

How old were you in 2006 Hogesar? 

Maybe I should have re-phrased to mental-age restriction.

I think the club has been pretty open about its ambition, which is to be in the top 25 or 26 of English clubs. So either in the Premier League or the play-offs. In the 22 seasons S&J have been in charge only 10 times have we finished in the top 26. More often than not we haven't, so to aim for the top 26 as the benchmark for all seasons is ambitious compared to the past.

I think the OP's problem is not that the club have no ambition, simply that the club's ambitions don't reflect his ambitions. That's always going to be the case for some fans.

A few months ago pretty much everybody was staggered as to what a healthy position the club was in. Frankly, taking a step back from the emotion, it still is. Yeah there's question marks over some players who we assumed would step up but have struggled, and the defensive injuries have stymied the start of the season. But even if we go down the club is in an incredible position- top young players who will either be sold for big money or will have another season tearing up the championship with us and a squad of players who have proved they are a class above that league.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mr.Carrow said:

A few months ago pretty much everybody was staggered as to what a healthy position the club was in. Frankly, taking a step back from the emotion, it still is. Yeah there's question marks over some players who we assumed would step up but have struggled, and the defensive injuries have stymied the start of the season. But even if we go down the club is in an incredible position- top young players who will either be sold for big money or will have another season tearing up the championship with us and a squad of players who have proved they are a class above that league.

And after tearing up the Championship again what will follow ? 

26 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

And after tearing up the Championship again what will follow ? 

After avoiding relegation from the prem five or six times what will follow ? 

6 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

After avoiding relegation from the prem five or six times what will follow ? 

Neppers Tom will be handed the golden mackerel and become the club's 'Alpha Seal'......

I just think some people will never be satisfied, however well the club do, they will always find something to criticise it for.  Fortunately, despite the voice they have on here and on social media, they are in a minorty. Long may it be so.

• Like 1