pete

A club without ambition

13 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

'kin hell pete every week. Just got over the misery of Friday and now this. 

hqdefault.jpg.150622f6607e275aafb0b580f46f27b3.jpg

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Highland Canary said:

Sadly, it feels that board and supporters alike believe we are not worthy of a seat at the top table.

A lot of fans were cheering mightily during our successful promotion run. We knew we deserved it and we celebrated it. 

7 minutes ago, Highland Canary said:

Sadly, it feels that board and supporters alike believe we are not worthy of a seat at the top table.

To many mediocre people happy to accept mediocrity is the problem 

that won’t change 

15 hours ago, Surfer said:

Look I have told you before - we get relegated every time we put too much green into our kit. 

It was obvious we were going down as soon as they rolled that ghastly yellow dipped in green sheep dye.

If we had wanted to stay up we could have rewarded all. of our fans by playing in last year's kit this season. 

oh, that a very joung team and some killer injuries didn't help. 

I'll be honest, this makes as much, if not more sense than a lot of posts on here.

Well played Surfer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On Saturday I went and watched Mansfield play Chorley in the fa Cup. Mansfield’s ground has got three stands and they average 4500 for league games, on Saturday the attendance was 2418. There were 240 fans from Chorley who are currently bottom of the conference. Going to matches like this puts things into perspective a bit. You can go on about catchment areas, wealth of owners etc and the size of our support, but when you really think about it supporting our club is easy and we really don’t have the problems of 72 clubs beneath us. I think some of the posters on here need to go and watch a lower league game, they may then appreciate what they’ve got a little more.

• Thanks 1

Webber is so confident of a great future he is leaving in 2.5 years max.

Farke described winning the league last year as climbing Everest and staying up this year as climbing Everest without tools.... he has also twice mentioned that he would have loved to spend £10m / £15m but it's just not going to happen. Has he thrown in the towel like all those questioning our approach to top flight football?

I am proud of what we as a team & owners have achieved but you have to invest to stay in the top flight, it has not and can not be done otherwise. It's whether you are happy with Top 25 or think we could be a very good established premiership team like Burnley.

I think we may have missed a great opportunity to strengthen an already great team with a few quality signings (Webber surely would have spent wisely so the Nasmith argument is void) to help the talented youngsters we had and in particular, strengthen the weakest part of the side... the defence. I find it frustrating looking at Sheffield United & then see how we have lost momentum.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

At least no one at the club, owners, directors, management or team have thrown the towel in.

Too many posters on here have not got the stomach for set backs.

Listen to Webber being interviewed prior to the Watford game. He's thrown the towel in already. 

3 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

On Saturday I went and watched Mansfield play Chorley in the fa Cup. Mansfield’s ground has got three stands and they average 4500 for league games, on Saturday the attendance was 2418. There were 240 fans from Chorley who are currently bottom of the conference. Going to matches like this puts things into perspective a bit. You can go on about catchment areas, wealth of owners etc and the size of our support, but when you really think about it supporting our club is easy and we really don’t have the problems of 72 clubs beneath us. I think some of the posters on here need to go and watch a lower league game, they may then appreciate what they’ve got a little more.

To compare us with the likes of Mansfield and Chorley is really like comparing apples with pears. Just remind me FF how many times those clubs have dined anywhere near the top table of football.

6 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

To compare us with the likes of Mansfield and Chorley is really like comparing apples with pears. Just remind me FF how many times those clubs have dined anywhere near the top table of football.

I wasn’t comparing them to us in that way, I’m saying you need a hell of a lot of dedication to support one of those clubs compared to supporting us. We get to “ dine at the top table” when they never will, as I said, should give you a bit of perspective.

Edited by FenwayFrank

9 hours ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

You've gone full crazy.

Which is more likely I wonder: 

1) I'm on the forum 24/7 looking for your posts.

2) I come on from time to time, browse, and sometimes react as I see fit, normally on match day.

Hmmmmm. It must be number 1) because....duhhhhhhhhhh. 🤪

Says the man who's just written an extremely long post!

Sherlock Holmes you aren't son.

If you can't take being criticised, you really shouldn't dish it out Billy boy.

Anyway, time for work. Don't worry, I'll be logging on and keeping a watchful eye on your posts.... 👹

OTBC

City1st makes Clouseau look like Holmes, Poirot and Marple rolled into one genius detective. Sometimes the loudest sound here is that of him barking up the wrong tree. I think my favourite case of his is that of Bagster the Breton Builder. In which his supposedly salient ‘facts’ and certainly what he claimed was the absolute clincher ‘fact’ were wrong.

21 hours ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Haha!

I believe he thinks (if he does indeed think at all) that I must be someone else on the forum that doesn't like him but am hiding under this account. But I would imagine there's a bl00dy long list of peeps that don't like him so I'm not sure how he's going to narrow it down to who I "really" am!  I could be you Til!

He doesn't seem to realise that I don't need to open up another account to tell him I don't like him. He's not a very likeable fellow...and I do try to like everyone.

OTBC

He is currently having a field day on the Brexit Party thread in the non football section rambling on about multiple accounts with you right in the middle of it Disco. 😂

Tragic.

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

It's amazing what luck can bring isn't it? In the history of our club the last ten years will look amazing beside the vast majority of ten year periods.

Even in the last 4 years we've seen our club lift a trophy at Wembley and the coveted Championship trophy. I bet most other generations wish we had been so lucky in their time.

Your standards are pretty low if you consider bouncing between leagues as “amazing”

22 hours ago, hogesar said:

Damn it. I always forget that everytime our club does something well, even when its repeated multiple times, it's pure luck. And when something bad happens it's because our entire board are inept.

Sounds fair.

Last season was pure luck, did I talk of other promotions? No.

Delia is inept, you are correct.

5 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Your standards are pretty low if you consider bouncing between leagues as “amazing”

My standards may seem that way to you but those years have been pretty amazing to me. Ricardo probably has another 10 years on me so I'd be interested in what he's made of it...

How are your standards? What governs your personal ambition and how do you measure up?

Edited by nutty nigel

42 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Not very often a team is top of the league after 46 games thanks to uh...well...pure luck.

Kind of makes debating completely pointless with you when  you refuse to give credit where it's due and criticise at every other opportunity.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Pure luck? Wow,that's an amazing feat over a 46-game season,isn't it? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Not very often a team is top of the league after 46 games thanks to uh...well...pure luck.

Kind of makes debating completely pointless with you when  you refuse to give credit where it's due and criticise at every other opportunity.

NOBODY ARGUE WITH THIS GUY. HE IS ALWAYS RIGHT THE 🛎END

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

He is currently having a field day on the Brexit Party thread in the non football section rambling on about multiple accounts with you right in the middle of it Disco. 😂

Tragic.

Bl00dy hell! He has as well! He's like a dog with a bone!

I seem to have awakened some inner demons in him...he really doesn't like being criticised does he?

Do you think if I send him a box of Ferrero Rocher that would placate him? Excellente!

OTBC

9 hours ago, C.I.D said:

Pure luck? Wow,that's an amazing feat over a 46-game season,isn't it? 

The plan of selling all the best players and investing in unknown players you/nor me had ever heard of. Read previous posts if you want to join in. 

7 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

The plan of selling all the best players and investing in unknown players you/nor me had ever heard of. Read previous posts if you want to join in. 

If you are going to write utter ****e then what is the point of joining in? 

9 hours ago, Ward 3 said:

NOBODY ARGUE WITH THIS GUY. HE IS ALWAYS RIGHT THE 🛎END

Good to see I havent got to you or anything. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, hogesar said:

I do give credit, I travel 330 miles to watch the team at home and loved everything about last season. You are missing my point about the gamble though. I was the first to defend Cantwell at the start of the season when people were on his back. Do you miss moments like that on here? Just look for people to argue with and then talk down at when you think you know it all ?

On 10/11/2019 at 19:23, Grando said:

I suppose the point is that you only waste transfer money if you buy badly (e.g. Wolfswinkle, Naismith). Weber is now saying (and it seems a reasonable point):

"If we do spent money it will be on players who have a potential future value for us. That will be on players who aren't going to lose their value if we are relegated, players who aren't going to be on outrageous sums in the Championship if the worst was to happen."

However, the position we're now in begs the question why a couple more of those type of players weren't signed before the season started...

Perhaps because they're bloody hard to find? Everybody's looking for them.

10 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Perhaps because they're bloody hard to find? Everybody's looking for them.

Yes they are. But were we even looking seriously at players who would have fulfilled this criteria (as much as you can ever predict) in the £5 to £15m bracket?

1 minute ago, Grando said:

Yes they are. But were we even looking seriously at players who would have fulfilled this criteria (as much as you can ever predict) in the £5 to £15m bracket?

I believe there were one or two who came very close. One was a striker. I'm afraid I can't supply any links, but it was a few weeks ago.

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Good to see I havent got to you or anything. 

Good to see you think you are the dogs nuts who is always right. Have a good day dear xxx

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

I believe there were one or two who came very close. One was a striker. I'm afraid I can't supply any links, but it was a few weeks ago.

Sadly, coming close butters no parsnips... (I guess you're referring to the French winger/striker.)

2 minutes ago, Grando said:

Sadly, coming close butters no parsnips... (I guess you're referring to the French winger/striker.)

No, but you said we weren't even trying.

We're trying to sign potentially quality PL players. That is always going to be difficult when competing with established PL clubs with far greater resources than us.