pete

A club without ambition

Prior to the Watford game Webber and later on Farke disclosed the club have no ambition to succeed in the PL and 20th place will be acceptable, we are going to try to get there pretty much on course.  This coming so soon following last seasons tremendous achievement playing so well and scoring a hatful of goals came as something of a kick in the teeth.  We knew money was tight and few additions were expected but we did expect a solid season with the retention of last seasons heroes the first two home displays gave hope we could survive.  But no ambition has been confirmed and the owners readily agree to the plans of Webber.  I would suggest that the statement regarding the clubs admission of not having any ambition to succeed after getting to the PL is seriously wrong and may have its ramifications throughout the club.

The fans the most important people in any club are entitled to be angry and disappointed that Norwich City see getting to the PL as the optimum level of achievement.  Some will be perfectly happy and their ambitions are similarly restricted.  Others will feel their hopes and dreams go further than taking the PL riches for one season at a time.  They have been majorly let down and might question why support such a club.

The current players are likely to be unhappy with one season.  Relegation will likely see clauses limiting their salaries upon a return to the Championship.  Some will move on at the end of the season we all know who the likely lads who fall into this category.  Those that remain will be asking themselves why did they join City I am sure they were unaware of the clubs limited hopes.  With a complete lack of confidence in themselves and the club there seems little to look forward to.

Recruits we will need to fill the gaps left by departees are unlikely to be influenced by a club without ambition why should they bother to join City on its shoestring salaries when there are more promising opportunities out there.  The defence is probably looking at 4 recruits and I suggest we may need players of greater experience to stem the flow of conceded goals.

With no ambition to better themselves will not be attractive to our management team.  This seasons performances will not enhance the careers of Farke or Webber who although resigned to the clubs ambitions cannot be happy following their success last season.  Surprised the bought into this.  A poor start next season will inevitably see the knives come out for Farke and Webber will get under similar pressure and it will be extremely difficult to make a promotion push with the stars missing.

The effect on finances will be most felt by the ownership.  Dafabet came on board with the promise of PL exposure with the biggest sponsorship deal in clubs history you can bet relegation will impact finance.  The Pl money from this season and the income from selling our stars will mot last forever and 3 seasons in the Championship will exhaust the windfall perhaps even sooner and then back to square one.

The City of Norwich were delighted to see a PL season with the revenue it offers.  Relegation will be met with disappointment.

Relegation I hear you cry City have not been relegated but to be bottom of the league with one point in last eight games conceding over 2 goals is not good news.  The club have told you they certainly don't expect to survive you shouldn't either.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think signs are worrying even though we are 12 games into the season and not halfway on 19 or 20 games, by which time your season is mostly set in and teams at the bottom start to develop a relegation mentality (different to one of seeing how high and far you can go, playing with less fear). But... I was l disappointed in hearing a rather downbeat message from Webber and Delia/MWJ. I know why they have adopted a necessary realism. Yet, before a ball was even kicked, I couldn't rid myself of a feeling we would lose to Watford. Ambition? Expectation? Realism? You choose your word to summarise.

I've not enjoyed this season half as much as last season and I'm still just about sustained on the residual satisfaction. Yet, I want several years in the PL and really hope we open up some funds if we are not hopelessly adrift by Xmas. Drimic, Roberts, Farhmann as new additions have barely played. And they don't appear to offer a step up in quality either. I don't think our recruitment was especially good on present viewing (limited as it's been). It has asked a lot for our young team to compete, even though they have deserved the right to test themselves.

Mid-December is the real time to reflect rather than immediately at this moment. We live in hope as fans always but the shine is starting to wear off isn't it?

At least no one at the club, owners, directors, management or team have thrown the towel in.

Too many posters on here have not got the stomach for set backs.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, pete said:

The club have told you they certainly don't expect to survive you shouldn't either.  

How long have I got Pete, should I cash in my pension and buy a sports car?

• Haha 1

To the op....

Webber has not said anything of the sort. 

Farke has not said anything of the sort.

If you think they have then you are wrong. Either you didn't understand what they were saying, or you are just trying to make trouble and when people post fake stuff, you have to wonder about their motivation for posting.  All a bit sad really.

• Like 5

I think people need to re-evaluate what ambition for this club is, premiership football, £150 million pot to fund the club.

This whole establishment in the premiership if just a pie in the sky dream, which until something to change it will never happen. Just enjoy the season for what it is a time to play against the best in the world.

Please give it a rest!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The club has shown far more ambition to be in the PL and the majority of their competitors.

Webber said "Ignore the noise"

I bet he didn't expect lies

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I know we are not playing well but 5th place in the league are on 17 points! The difference between Villa and us is they beat us at our place (OK hammered us). Newcastle were going to be the whipping boys and they have 15 points, two behind 5th place. Brighton could have gone 5th if they had beaten Manure.

It still looks hard. We look short of something at the moment so maybe DF will have to sacrifice something to change our awful run but it is far from over.

If we go down and get further hammerings then come back and we can discuss the rubbish the OP posted. But until then, just because the ambitions of the club do not match every spectators, then we carry on and hope for the best.

Sanity at last, wtf do people expect? Overnight success ? If this project is to succeed it will take time, and nerve , because there will be times that the ride gets rough, like now. 

By Time , I mean a few years, not a few weeks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Sanity at last, wtf do people expect? Overnight success ? If this project is to succeed it will take time, and nerve , because there will be times that the ride gets rough, like now. 

By Time , I mean a few years, not a few weeks.

Overnight success how long have the stowmarket duo owned the club?

they have shown themselves incapable of managing a premier league club it’s time to hand over the club to owners who have the ability 

21 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

The club has shown far more ambition to be in the PL and the majority of their competitors.

I take it you mean ' than the majority ' but how on earth can you back that up ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

I take it you mean ' than the majority ' but how on earth can you back that up ?

How many of..

Leeds

Forest

Sheff Wed

Bristol C

QPR

Charlton

Hull

Birmingham

Cardiff

Derby

Reading

Blackburn

Middlesbrough

Ipswich

Sunderland

Sheff Utd

Coventry

Portsmouth

Bolton

Have spent 5 of the last 10 years in the PL?

We are there again this season, just months after you said we had no ambition to get there. How did that even happen? Is ambition only measured by someone elses wealth?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

Overnight success how long have the stowmarket duo owned the club?

they have shown themselves incapable of managing a premier league club it’s time to hand over the club to owners who have the abilit

Name one then, smartarris.

6 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

How many of..

Leeds

Forest

Sheff Wed

Bristol C

QPR

Charlton

Hull

Birmingham

Cardiff

Derby

Reading

Blackburn

Middlesbrough

Ipswich

Sunderland

Sheff Utd

Coventry

Portsmouth

Bolton

Have spent 5 of the last 10 years in the PL?

We are there again this season, just months after you said we had no ambition to get there. How did that even happen? Is ambition only measured by someone elses wealth?

Looks like pretty good 'backing up' to me.

3 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Like Federer reaching  all those finals then losing them all in straight sets . He got to the finals though .

Nothing like that. Federer would have expected to get to the finals. We had no right nor hope, according to most, to get promoted. We've over-performed. And you're a fairweather fan, if you're a fan at all.

4 promotions in 15 years (2 as champions) and if we drop again come May that’s 3 instant relegations from 4 . So where’s the ambition to make a fist of staying around for a little longer than 1 season ? 

• Like 1

I can't help it if people can't see the ambition our club has. You'd only have to visit Carrow Road or Colney to see it.

Hankering after someone else's money may be a lot of things but it's not ambition. And what is more the majority of clubs who follow that fake star achieve far less than us.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Yellowhammer said:

The problem is we are well supported whatever leauge we are in ,the club is almost guareenteed 25000 fans .

That's a problem? Only if looking through a half empty glass.

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I can't help it if people can't see the ambition our club has. You'd only have to visit Carrow Road or Colney to see it.

Hankering after someone else's money may be a lot of things but it's not ambition. And what is more the majority of clubs who follow that fake star achieve far less than us.

You do realise Sky pay £100 M for joining the big boys ? It could help in signing a few players . 

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

You do realise Sky pay £100 M for joining the big boys ? It could help in signing a few players . 

It could be or it could be used in a more ambitious way. Depends whether ambition has a best before date....

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

It could be or it could be used in a more ambitious way. Depends whether ambition has a best before date....

Excellent reply ! I’m back on side with the regime. 

I suppose the point is that you only waste transfer money if you buy badly (e.g. Wolfswinkle, Naismith). Weber is now saying (and it seems a reasonable point):

"If we do spent money it will be on players who have a potential future value for us. That will be on players who aren't going to lose their value if we are relegated, players who aren't going to be on outrageous sums in the Championship if the worst was to happen."

However, the position we're now in begs the question why a couple more of those type of players weren't signed before the season started...

Just now, Grando said:

I suppose the point is that you only waste transfer money if you buy badly (e.g. Wolfswinkle, Naismith). Weber is now saying (and it seems a reasonable point):

"If we do spent money it will be on players who have a potential future value for us. That will be on players who aren't going to lose their value if we are relegated, players who aren't going to be on outrageous sums in the Championship if the worst was to happen."

However, the position we're now in begs the question why a couple more of those type of players weren't signed before the season started...

Bingo . 

8 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

A few players who will demand a three year cintract as a minimum. Contracts that cannot be met if we are relegated............as we only get TWO years of parachute payments, and they are NOT for £100m a year.

That's what almost crippled as last time we were relegated.

So maybe try engaging your brain next time.

Edited by Bill

The ambition is to secure the financial future of the club, have modern training facilities, maintain a strong presence in the community, develop young players and put out an exciting young team that play attractive football.

Now the football in the last few games hasn't exactly been great, but we're doing pretty well on the rest of it and nobody can argue we haven't seen some fantastic football at times this season, and of course last season.

There was a time when the ambition was to stay in the premier league at all costs (remember McNally declaring relegation would be "worse than death"?) but the owners clearly feel other things take priority now.

It is what it is, and even if we had a money bags owner it's no guarantee of success. There are plenty of far bigger clubs with far far richer owners than ours where the fans are complaining about poor results, not enough investment and lack of ambition.

• Like 2

Look I have told you before - we get relegated every time we put too much green into our kit. 

It was obvious we were going down as soon as they rolled that ghastly yellow dipped in green sheep dye.

If we had wanted to stay up we could have rewarded all. of our fans by playing in last year's kit this season. 

oh, that a very joung team and some killer injuries didn't help. 

Edited by Surfer
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bill said:

A few players who will demand a three year cintract as a minimum. Contracts that cannot be met if we are relegated............as we only get TWO years of parachute payments, and they are NOT for £100m a year.

That's what almost crippled as last time we were relegated.

So maybe try engaging your brain next time.

Don’t be so rude Bill . Take it your not disputing the £100M for finishing bottom then 2 lots of £30M after relegation. Don’t think the club have too much to worry about regarding over spending this time round . 

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

The club has shown far more ambition to be in the PL than the majority of their competitors.

This is what you said and i will ask again what ambition has Norwich City shown to be in the PL in comparison to their competitors. Not interested in the list you trotted out with regard to other clubs because that is a distraction to what i asked so just stick to the post highlighted. Measure ambition for me with regard to what the club have actually done. All i see is firefighting not ambition.