Sign in to follow this  
Feedthewolf

Team for Everton

Assuming that everyone bar Klose is available after the break, what would your starting XI be?

I'd go with:

Krul
Aarons Godfrey Zimmermann Lewis
Amadou Vrancic
Buendia Cantwell Hernandez
Pukki

Subs: Fahrmann, Byram, Tettey, Trybull, McLean, Stiepermann, Drmic.

Krul

Amadou Leitner

Buendia Stiepermann Cantwell

Pukki

Hernandez to come off the bench.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Assuming that everyone bar Klose is available after the break, what would your starting XI be?

I'd go with:

Krul
Amadou Vrancic
Pukki

I’d probably swap Stiepermann for Cantwell as otherwise the front five feels too lightweight IMO.

Otherwise good and I’m just going to be hopeful Zimmerman is fit.

18 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

I'd go with:

Krul
Amadou Vrancic
Pukki

Would be a dream, but let’s face it, it will probably be the same dross that has started the last two games

I understood that it'll be another month, possibly longer before Zimm is fit to start a game. Not forgetting he was probably brought in a bit too early when he got crocked by Haller. Is Hanley not due back first?

I wonder will DF pair Tettey & Amadou together to help tighten up around the middle? Or will he pick one of Vrancic, McLean, Leitner or Trybull alongside Tettey/Amadou? Or perhaps three CMs? Are Aarons & Lewis both certainties to start? What about Buendia? Should Cantwell get another opportunity from the start? How long until Drmic is back? Lots of question marks currently. It's good to have options again but the poor form makes picking the team a more difficult job. What about:

Krul

Aarons     Hanley     Godfrey     Lewis

Tettey     Amadou      Vrancic

Stiepermann     Hernandez

Pukki

Vrancic in a roving role, linking the play, tracking runners, giving an outlet, on set-pieces & picking the passes. Something different from Emi so far. Tettey & Amadou screening & covering for the full backs when they venture across the halfway line. Buendia, Cantwell, McLean, Trybull, Byram, Leitner, Idah, Srbeny (Roberts?) giving various options off the bench. 

I do think that it might help to get Byram into the team somehow, as suggested above. He must have expected more game-time

Interesting that nobody (rightly) has McLean in their team .......if Farke does it again, even after having a few more options available ,then he has to be called into question.

My team...

...................Krul............

Byram..Zimmerman..Godfrey..Lewis

..............Amadou..Trybull.......

....Buendia....Vrancic.....Hernandez

..................Pukki...............

Fahrmann..Aarons..Hanley..Tettey..Leitner..Cantwell..Steipermann

• Like 1

Would be a nice boost if Zimmermann is fit & available to start. I wonder how Buendia will react after Friday's game & post-match comments - could be crucial to his future career here. Adversity reveals leaders. Benching him would allow Vrancic to start without over-exposing the back four. Or he could be moved central at Marco's expense. Would Hernandez be better utilised as an impact sub away from home - keep it tight for the first 60 mins? If Aarons & Byram both start, would it relieve the forward group from some of their more defensive duties? Lots to ponder after Watford.

Krul 

Aarons Zimmerman Godfrey Lewis

Amadou Vrancic

Roberts Buendia Hernandez

Pukki

Time to try Buendia in the Number 10 role behind Pukki. The problem I think with playing him out wide is that he isn’t an out and out wide player and always wants to come into the middle with the ball which then leaves a whole load of space on the right hand side for the opposition to exploit if he loses possession thus leaving Aarons exposed. Or as Making Plans suggested you could play Byram at right back with Aarons ahead of him to give us more solidity. We’ve also got to improve our pressing game. Opposition teams do it much more aggressively and effectively than us which ultimately nullifies our style. 

I personally think we need to change up a little from our 4-2-3-1 as teams have worked us out and picking it off, I would revert more to the Liverpool/Leicester 4-3-3 and make sure our midfield not wide open at any stage. This might also play to getting Buendia up the pitch and able to drift in without exposing Aaron’s so much.

Krul

aarons, Zimmerman, Godfrey, Lewis 

amadou

vrancic/leitner, trybull

buendia, Pukki, Hernandez 

Too early for Zimmerman I suspect. If Amadou is fully fit then I expect him to replace Tettey at centre half. Other than that I think will Farke will stick with the tried and tested team.

Krul

Byram Godfrey Amadou Lewis

Tettey Vrancic

Roberts Cantwell Hernandez

Pukki 

We need to change the team, the current lineup is not scoring goals. Unfortunately there is not much we can do at the back due to injuries and poor depth. 

Buendia needs to be dropped and given the chance to show what he can do from the bench. I thought Roberts looked useful in pre season and should be given a chance to show what he can do. Onel aside, the players picked in front of him have shown nothing for seven games. Roberts deserves a shot. 

Krul

Hanley Godfrey Zimmermann 

Aarons                                              Lewis

Tettey   Amadou 

Buendia                          Hernamdez 

Pukki 

• Like 1

Krul 

Aarons Zimmerman Godfrey Lewis

Amadou Vrancic

Roberts Buendia Hernandez

Pukki

Time to try Buendia in the Number 10 role behind Pukki. The problem I think with playing him out wide is that he isn’t an out and out wide player and always wants to come into the middle with the ball which then leaves a whole load of space on the right hand side for the opposition to exploit if he loses possession thus leaving Aarons exposed. Or as Making Plans suggested you could play Byram at right back with Aarons ahead of him to give us more solidity. We’ve also got to improve our pressing game. Opposition teams do it much more aggressively and effectively than us which ultimately nullifies our style. 

I have put the same lineup on a different post. Put our skill in the skill areas.

Rather than who should be in the team, lets look at it from who shouldn't be in the team.

For me, based on performances over the last 5 or 6 games you cannot possibly pick Cantwell, Buendia, McLean, Leitner, Drmic, or Srbeny who are either (a) desperately out of form/touch/confidence, (b) ineffective, (c) simply not good enough or in the case of Drmic & Srbeny (d) all 3.

The case for Stiepermann is 50/50. He hasn't been great but he's not been anywhere near as bad as Cantwell, Buendia, McLean or Leitner and at least he's had a few shots at goal.

Despite recent heroics, I think Tettey is not up to several games on the bounce.

Hanley might be fit but I'm not sure that he is an improvement on what we've tried thus far.

On the plus side, Byram has looked more than capable and Roberts is an unknown quantity so they must come into the reckoning.

So that leaves us with, in no particular order, Krul, Aarons, Lewis, Byram, Zimmerman, Godfrey, Amadou, Trybull, Pukki, Hernandez, Stiepermann, Roberts, Vrancic.

We have played 12 games, won 2 of them and every week we get worse.

We have not scored a meaningful goal for 7 games on the trot.

You cannot keep playing the same players week after week and accept the same result with no sign of improvement week after week, without being brave enough to take a gamble and try something different.

If it doesn't work out and we lose then it's no different to what we have been doing anyway.

Edited by Making Plans
  • Like 1

Krul 

Byram Zimmerman Godfrey Lewis

Amadou Tettey

Buendia Stiepermann Hernandez

Pukki

I've gone for a quite physical team compared to most with Amadou,Tettey and Stiepermann all in. A porous midfield has been a major issue this year - we need to stop the rot and become more solid to give us something to build on in games or what little confidence we have left will be gone long before January comes around. I'd be open to trying Drmic in Stiepermann's position if he's fit.

OTBC

Am I crazy or could we not try Byram at RB with Aarons playing further up the pitch?

I think it's too early for Zimmermann, no? I'm sure I read, or at least got the gist, that he won't be playing in the Everton game, but may feature a week or two later.

Anyway, I'm starting to think we need a change of system because what we're doing now isn't working. I think an extra man in defence would give us more security to allow the full backs the freedom to go forward and relieve the pressure on them defensively. Godfrey may also benefit from having another partner and may also have more licence to drive forward, which he's pretty good at.

So all in all, I'd be tempted by the following:

Krul

Amadou     Hanley     Godfrey

Aarons                                            Lewis

Tettey            Vrancic

Buendia                     Hernandez

Pukki

But with Zimmermann in Hanley's place if he's fit.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Lots of diffrerent formations and permutations here....is there any combination that could work?...or is it merely rearranging the deckchairs on the titanic?

I think if you combine the back three, two wing backs, central midfield three and then the three behind a front two we might have a chance. 

18 hours ago, Making Plans said:

A slightly different view

Krul
Byram Godfrey Zimmermann Lewis
Trybull Vrancic
Aarons Stiepermann Hernandez
Pukki

I've been hoping for this.

Although not particularly skillful Max almost always beats the defender and since we have Byram to cover, I'd give it a go.

Id then push Buendia to 10.

Krul

Byram  Godfrey zimmerman lewis

Tettey  amadou

Hernandez vrancic buendia

Pukki 

Krul

Byram, Godfrey, Hanley (if Zimbo not fit) Lewis

Amadou Leitner

Aarons Cantwell Hernandez

Pukki

Subs: Fahrmann, Zimmermann, Trybull, Buendia, Drmic, Roberts, Vrancic.

Buendia needs to know he is dropable and this might sort his attitude out and give him a kick up the bum to improve. Aarons and Byram gives us a bit more defensive solidity and we can finally see Amadou in his preferred position. 

• Like 1

Well if Hanley is ahead of Zimmerman in regard to availability I would play

Krul

Byram, Hanley, Godfrey

Aarons                                   Lewis

Amadou, Leitner, Tettey

Buendia                                Hernandez

Pukki

If zimbo is getting fit get him practising in this set up and then replace Hanley for the next game.

Have Stieps ready to change the midfield if Pukki is isolated or maybe Vrancic in that further foward position/ in replace of Leitner. But be aware that Leitner can move us from the back third of the pitch with composure and we need that now.

---

Lets be hard to beat early and allow these fullbacks forward to create chances that we know we can. Byram and Godfrey have pace to cover with Amadou and Tettey hopefully bullying the midfield may mean Leitner has a bit more time. The midfield then is much tougher with two DMs in there and the attacking players who excelled last season have a bit more of a free licence to move forward

It is a change in formation but we know we need cover at the back and we also need to play to our strengths, well this allows our full backs to play wide with creative midfielders and Pukki ready to pounce.

20 minutes ago, smooth said:

Well if Hanley is ahead of Zimmerman in regard to availability I would play

Krul

Byram, Hanley, Godfrey

Aarons                                   Lewis

Amadou, Leitner, Tettey

Buendia                                Hernandez

Pukki

If zimbo is getting fit get him practising in this set up and then replace Hanley for the next game.

Have Stieps ready to change the midfield if Pukki is isolated or maybe Vrancic in that further foward position/ in replace of Leitner. But be aware that Leitner can move us from the back third of the pitch with composure and we need that now.

---

Lets be hard to beat early and allow these fullbacks forward to create chances that we know we can. Byram and Godfrey have pace to cover with Amadou and Tettey hopefully bullying the midfield may mean Leitner has a bit more time. The midfield then is much tougher with two DMs in there and the attacking players who excelled last season have a bit more of a free licence to move forward

It is a change in formation but we know we need cover at the back and we also need to play to our strengths, well this allows our full backs to play wide with creative midfielders and Pukki ready to pounce.

Damn 12 players, well tettey needs to come out as we need cover at the back so our fullbacks can go forward